Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do not believe that you damaged the sign, I think it was Clear coated or something else was applied to give it a shine, all you did was take off that coating and brought back the sign to it's original state before being "Repaired". Try spraying it with WD40 and laying it out in the sun for a day, will probably look fresh. Until it is cleaned again. Just my opinion

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think KZ1000 is right. I would have a hard time believing any kind of wax would do that. I have used bar-keepers friend on many many signs including quite a few blue porcelain ones without any problems. My "secret" con-coction is mixing Bar-keepers freind with Gel-gloss porcelain polish. Works miricles by removing rust stains and leaving a show shine. Just my opinion
Good luck I know they were very beautiful signs you had.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I too have used BKF on many signs without issue. The key is though to not leave it on for more than a couple minutes or it CAN etch older porcelain. The thing is though, if your sign looked fine after the BKF then looked wierd after the wax, that tells me it wasn't the BKF that did it.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks again for all the replies and PM's on this issue. I got home from work and spayed it with WD-40...It is now in the sun for a few hours. I will hit it again in the morning and leave it all day. I will let you all know how it turns out.

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I have found that BKF can do more harm to certain porcelain colors then good, if put on with to much force, will leave the sign with permant fade and the more buffing etc that you do, will make it worse, and the gloss is gone forever, I rarely buy signs that I know have been cleaned with BKF, unless I can see it in person.
Just my thoughts

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well I have soaked the signs in wd-40 and a 3 in 1 silicone spray for the past 30 hours and much to my satisfaction it has restored the color back to original. While the finish/gloss is not the same as the matching sign, I can at least live with the sign again. This problem has been eating me alive since it happened. I only wish I had taken a BEFORE picture of it prior to bathing it in wd-40. The difference is incredible. Attached is the cleaned and uncleaned sign. The sign on the right is the one that was cleaned. I think I have learned a valuable lesson through this process, that always try cleaning a small area of a sign first before going in guns a blazing! While I still believe BKF is an excellent product I think I will be more carefull in the future...and my next sign to clean is a 5ft Red Indian. I think on this one I will start with Easy Off oven cleaner first! Thanks again to all the people who replied to the post or just sent me PM's to provide me guidance on this one. This is a great site with a tremendous knowledge base....

Colin Latreille
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LET'S NOT FORGET THAT OTHER WONDERFUL PRODUCT MENTIONED ON SIMILAR SUBJECTS BEFORE....

"HOWARD'S FEED & WAX."

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
your right about barkeepers doing harm to certain colors..thats why I don't use it anymore...I used glass stove top cleaner and extra fine steel wool and have never harmed the colors It will remove the rust stains....come on...what is porcelain? crushed baked glass....

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Glad to hear the WD-40 worked. I tried using it a few times on some of the "rougher" Cobalt Blue Powerlube signs I've had over the years without much success. Perhaps I need to try BKF or the Howard's Feed and wax

Chuck
smile
Signs Wanted: Sunset, Clipper, Harbor, Indian Motorcycle, Powerlube, Beacon, Michelin, Conoco MM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'm glad to hear things worked out for the best. That's a great pair of signs.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Colin
I don't want to rain on the parade, but...
I have heard that different people use diferent products to help "restore the shine" on some signs. I have heard of people using clear coat, vegatable oil, WD-40, furniture polish and other like products. In most cases, the "restored gloss" is only temporary. Some people even use it to shine a sign up so it will sell quicker at a show or look better in pictures for eBay. Again, some of the products do not restore the shine, only make it look better for a short while. One way to spot this at a show is a sign may be slippery, a sure sign that the sign may have help looking good. Most of the above mentioned products only give a temporary shine, they do not restore the original gloss. I would be surprised if WD-40 would make a permanent change.

This is another case of buyer beware, as the great shine on a sign may only be temporary.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Be careful with Bar Keepers Friend. I used it on some pump faces and it etched the gloss right off of them.

Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Before trying anything on a porcelain sign, test it on plain glass. IF it etches the glass, it will etch your sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I ALWAYS SAID THAT SOFT SCRUB W/BLEACH WAS BETTER THAN BKF! YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT WITH IT.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wes, I realize that I will never have the original gloss on the sign as the matching twin has, my main concern was at least getting the colour to match, as it appeared as if the porcelain was etched and the blue became a couple of shades lighter. Using the Wd-40 if nothing else, makes the sign look presentable and good enough to hang in the garage again. I am ok with it being temoprary..I don't mind doing this a couple times a year if thats what it takes. I am happy the colour has returned, but I didn't go around high fiving my wife after claiming success with the WD-40. I wish I had never done this to such a pristine sign...as luck would have it it was the best of the two sign as well!!!!!!!!

Colin Latreille
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved