Page 1 of 2 1 2
#141961 Mon Jun 01 2009 06:56 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
very nice replica of Auto Club sign from 1938-1942

eBay item 270401342390

jake@aaroads.com

any questions about road signs - authenticity, value, etc - ask away!

the AARoads shield gallery - over 10,000 historic highway marker photos

San Diego, CA - US 80, 101, 395
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jake, that is a good looking sign. I am tempted to bid, but need to pay for the bear 49 and U.S. 50 I already ordered.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is the sign marked as a reproduction? I don't see it in your auction or shown in the photos that it is marked? Or am I "sticking my nose in it"?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
All you have to do is to read the entire description and you should be able to figure it out.

huskybob #142107 Wed Jun 03 2009 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, no offense, but WHAT THE HELL are you talking about?

What about the next person that buys the sign and the one after and so on, will they know it's a reproduction? Again, the question is, are the signs marked as reproductions??????

We jump on "vendors/sellers" all the time, for not marking signs, cans, globes... etc. Do the members here, get different "treatment"?

TO ANY MEMBERS HERE; that have purchased a sign from this gentleman in the past, are the signs they purchased marked? If so, please let me and others here know how they are marked? My question will then be answered.

In the past this "seller" has brought signs here and didn't mark them as reproductions, read past posts. When pressed about it, they shrugged it off as too expensive or too much trouble, yet mocked other members who said signs with wrong fonts were obvious fakes. Once they even marked a sign with an "engraving tool/drill", after the fact(IMO) when asked about how the signs are being marked. In the photos on this auction I can't see any markings. So again, I am asking? ARE THE SIGNS MARKED AS REPRODUCTIONS? The seller takes great pride in making his signs as close to original as possible, in fact going so far as to state;

"The last bears were put up in 1956. I do not know of any left in the wild. The last one anyone ever saw was a Bear 16 taken down in West Sacramento ... in 1982. Nowadays, a real Bear 1 from 1934-1956 will sell for well over a thousand dollars, if it shows up on eBay at all. Until that moment comes along, you can have this one to display on your wall and no one will know the difference until they stick their nose in it."

If he/they are making this sign to be as close to "original" as possible, according to their own words. Then are they marking the signs as being a reproduction? An easy question, yet so far no answer has been given.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The original signs were porcelain on steel and this one is "printed on top of aluminum to look as close as is possible to the old porcelain signs "

I don't think anyone will confuse it with an original IMHO.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, you could be right, probably are. But then again, we have all seen "Andie Rooney Co." signs sold as originals for hundreds, even thousands of dollars. And in 10 years or less an unmarked sign IS going to be sold as original, wither by mistake or on purpose. We see it all the time at shows, in auctions and on ebay. Even members here ask, did I buy an "unmarked" reproduction? I might be "beating a dead horse here" but I'm not looking at today, I'm thinking about the future collector. Hell, we see people paying big money for fake oil cans "every day" because people don't know the difference. People buy signs that aren't even close to looking like the original, as this seller has pointed out. So why not mark their signs? I've said my piece and will drop it now.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob R, sometimes you P---- me off, But this time you hit the nail on the head, Well Said

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #142129 Wed Jun 03 2009 10:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott I agree. We had this discussion a short while ago about another piece being offered for sale here.

The discussion on marking things certainly seems to get the blood boiling in some. But....where do you draw the line?? I see TONS of air and gas pump parts being produced to complete restorations with no markings whatsoever and nobody says a word.

Not trying to be harsh...but...if you pay 1,000.00 (whether today or 20 years down the road) for a painted aluminum sign manufactured 70 years after the original, and the originals were porcelain over steel....you're a moron and shouldn't be dabbling in something you know nothing about.

On the flip side, there is no reason NOT to mark a sign like this as a repro.

Ohio Oil #142130 Wed Jun 03 2009 11:08 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Why not date them? Maybe on the backs... Surely wouldn't be that big of a deal...?

Neat looking, but I'd rather save my money and buy an original piece of signage...

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
DCpate #142296 Fri Jun 05 2009 08:13 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I went ahead and took an etching marker and put "2009" on the back. Should be through the surface and down into the metal now in 3... 2... 1...

that's my best hand-drawn approximation to the font used on the date stamps on the backs of the original signs. 2009 is 2009, H is the traditional identifier for Highway Marker since 1934, and this is the 12th one I've run off this year.

this is, of course, in addition to the fact that the sign is aluminum and distinctly looks - and weighs! - the part.

jake@aaroads.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very well done, you make a quality sign.

Ohio Oil #142379 Sun Jun 07 2009 09:58 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks smile

and thank you to the buyer, who just made me an offer. I am hoping he came through via OldGas!

I will have a similar replica US 101 sign up in the near future, as well as an authentic US 6 from Indiana.

jake@aaroads.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I want to say thank you, for marking the signs and looking out for future collectors. You make a very good looking sign!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks Bob! I knew that industrial-grade marker that I ... ahem, borrowed from work ... would come in handy!

I've listed the US-101. Item number is 270404791570

when I finish restoring the original US-6 sign, that'll go up to... likely tomorrow.

jake@aaroads.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved