Next Thread
Print Thread
#14331 Thu Jul 24 2008 09:31 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Hi. I've just purchased an old, NOS Champion Spark Plug sign. It has a painted face. There are some small remainders of paper BONDED to it that I want to remove. These fragments are from the paper sheets that were placed between the signs at the time of manufacture. It seems like these small pieces of paper have almost glued themselves to the painted face at this point, although I know they originally weren't.

Please...I would like to get ideas on how to remove these bonded paper fragments without damaging the painted sign. I have tried soaking the remnants of paper with WD-40 to loosen the bond and that didn't help (that is probably because an adhesive is NOT part of my problem). I'd appreciate any sugggestions. Thanks, John in Wisconsn

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14332 Thu Jul 24 2008 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
You could sand it,but it sounds like they are so small,you would notice the abrasion on the paint.
It sounds like you need to soften the paper adhesive & paint surrounding & under the fragments to release the paper without damaging the finish.
Try Goo Gone on those areas first,as it contains a lemon citrus they might work.
If it doesn't,move a step up & try Goof Off.It's more volatile and might work,but use sparingly as it could take the paint off too.
If those don't work,I would try paint thinner or zip strip sparingly,but those would be my last option.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
#14333 Thu Jul 24 2008 10:16 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
John,
I soak them all day in cold cold water closely watching for paint damage!!!
I then use a soft wash clothe and slowly work the paper off rinsing often...
No Soap! Don't push too hard.
I let sign completely dry for a day or two then repeat process...
Quality wax will help hide paper marks...
~Good Luck~

Tom
219-778-3155
signchaser@comcast.net
Looking for early wolfshead signs and hoosier pete signs or globes
#14334 Thu Jul 24 2008 04:45 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I have layed them on flat surfaces, soaked down with WD-40, allow it to soak up then repeat process several times. The paper will then wash off with a soft bristle brush, soap and water.

Thanks, Phil
#14335 Thu Jul 24 2008 06:15 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just used my fingernail on the Drug store one I had and put on ebay. Alot of times especially Nichol Cola signs and 1930s Pontchartrain amusement park(clown)signs have paper marks permenantly on the signs that cannot be removed. I have never seen a Nichol cola or Pontchartrain that didn't have some paper marks

#14336 Thu Jul 24 2008 08:16 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I had two dozen Champion signs with paper stuck to them...the best way that I found was to just rub it with a damp wash cloth...I soaked one in water and it damaged the paint...mostly the blue...it began to blister after only a few minutes. You will probably be able to get the paper off, but there will still be able to see where it was stuck to the sign.

Kevin

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved