Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
5 quart Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
At the 4 shows I have set up at this year I talked to many people. i asked what publications they read- I was a little taken back when I found that many subscribed to only one or many times none ot the two main mags of our hobby- Petroleum Collectors Monthly and Bi monthly Check The Oil .Many were advanced collectors-some thought that Hemmings covered it all. I feel that it a must especially for new collectors to receive these mags- lots of informative articles- Globes- Cans- Maps- etc.Auction results and Auction ads-Most of which never show up in other mags- The best way to learn the Hobby is GO to the shows ,follow this site closely and read everything you can find on the hobby-
Your views and comments appreciated Thanks Don
PS if you need info on subscribing to these mags contact me

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll jump in here and add a poll to Don's question
Vote in the poll and also post a reply with your thoughts
Supporting our hobby's publications helps all of us
I get PCM and Check the Oil!

Gas & Oil Publications You Read
multiple choice
Votes accepted starting: Sun Jul 12 2009 08:11 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I just dropped Hemmings after taking it for thirty years. hadn't bought anything out of it in 25yr. Belong to two car clubs and get their magazines. Try to talk to local collectors in this area though I don't know part of the ones on here in the Denver area. I think Ebay gives me a better feel for what things are worth. I believe it drives the marketplace on common things and the uncommon is worth whatever you are willing to give and the seller is willng to take.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PCM is by far the Best Magazine related to this hobby in My Opinion And Don "5quart" Raleigh does a Great Job with "The Oil Can Rack" section of this Magazine. When I get my new one in the Mail every Month the first thing I check out is Don's article. Keep up the Great work Don.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WAS A HEMMINGS SUBSCRIBER FROM 1979 TO 2002. THE INTERNET AND EBAY KILLED THAT ONE. I WAS A LOYAL SUBSCRIBER TO PCM AND CTO. I STILL GET PCM SINCE IT'S MONTHLY. I DROPPED CTO SINCE THEY WENT BI-MONTHLY (EVERY OTHER MONTH) AND DIDN'T SEEM COST EFFICIENT COMPARED TO THE SIMILAR PRICED PCM.
I HARDLY HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO READ EITHER ANYWAY, BUT I DO L@@K AT THEM FROM COVER TO COVER. I USED TO GET SEVERAL MAGAZINES AND NEWSPAPERS RELATED TO THE COLLECTIBLES HOBBY, BUT MANY HAVE RETIRED BECAUSE OF THE INTERNET. I BUY A HEMMINGS AT LEAST ONCE A YEAR.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
I didnt even know they existed. I am on line kind of guy. I may have to try PCM since its getting nice reviews from you folks. Dave

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have never had either. Would like to see a PCM.

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For years while racing I read Hemmings.(my father was restoring Model A's) I read Mobilia, for years and then it was gone. Picked up a copy or 2 of CTO and PCM, but since I don't collect pumps,globes and don't have a number of large signs neither seemed to address the "smalls" that I collect. This was 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe the mags have changed?

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I only continue to take CTO because of Jack's articles on pumps.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
For the cost...under $75/year for BOTH. There is really no excuse for any serioius collector to not subscribe to both. They are the only such trade publications that this hobby has to offer.

Show coverage, new discoveries, reproduction alerts, auction advetisements and the PICTURES should be worth the cost alone.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe that's why a good number don't read the publications? Both magazines while very informative, are not "geared" to the majority in this hobby. Original globe collectors are a minority in the hobby. Partly because of cost, availibility and storage restraints. Same with pumps and signs. Yet those are exactly the directions the magazines forcus towards. Don(5quart) writes articles for at least one if not both magazines, he confirmed for me that things hadn't changed. From childhood I have been able to read different magazines, each that were geared towards MY interests. I wasn't "stuck in a box", I could read magazines that dealt with VWs, Chevys, Fords, MoPar, British cars...etc. I could read magazines that dealt with F1,USAC,NASCAR,Club Racing,go-cart racing etc... I didn't have to read the one page in Road and Track when I wanted to know about off-road racing, I could pickup a magazine that dealt first hand with the subject.. I didn't have to read Super Chevy when I was putting the Porsche engine in my VW van, to make sure I was doing it correctly.
Now if the 2 magazines had more than a paragraph here and there about "handy oilers", s&p shakers, roadmaps, gas pump radios, lamp tins... etc, more people might be interested. But what the h*ll do I know, lol. Until the magazines, deal more with those items that almost everyone collects, I would rather spend my $75 a year on what I collect, but that's just me.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Bob Richards, my sentiments exactly. You must have read my mind!
Now I don't have to type all that you said. I also gave up on the magazines about 2 years ago. They didn't seem to address my small areas of petro collecting & yes, I spend the $75 on my collecting.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really don't think a mag could survive month after month on globes only or pumps only. I think PCM does a better job than CTO mag on what goes into the mag.

I don't collect pump or signs but like to read the Articals on pumps or signs or cans and so on.

I am sure if someone collected D-X stuff or only Tokheim pumps i am sure Scott would love to do an article on them.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Jim,
Well said.
I collect origional globes and quart oil cans and maps and have quite a few signs I enjoy reading about what I collect and others collect.
The people in the hobby should support the people who are writing the magazines and books because before long without support they would cease and we would all lose.
Most of my collection is from Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri but no one writes a article on these small companies.
We should support those who support us.

Maurice

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with the above thread. But in my opinion if you can only afford one of the publications PCM is the clear choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved