Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I need input. I've found 8 lubesters available for me to purchase. For future value, what is the best make, model or ??? that would make it preferable. I have my choice of any of the lubesters in the building or yard. I want to go for maximum value on the first one and then I'll pick another one up every couple of months.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Oil dispensers, or Lubsters as you call them were available in a number of ways. Most just sat on the floor, were either 35 gallon on 55 gallon, others smaller or larger. These are sometimes called generic, meaning it is difficult to determine who made them, as all the companies seemed to be making the same ones.

Some older units were on wheels and many times had two tanks for two grades of oil. Today these seem to attract more attention than the generic ones. Also some early units had a glass cylinder where you could see the oil before it came out the spout (one company even had a light for these cylinders). These units also usually had a cover, over the return part, that had a logo of the company whose oil was being pumped. These also draw more attention than the generic.

My first Gas Pump Identificastion book had many of these pictured, but to make more room for gas pumps I pulled most of them out of the book.

Oil dispensers have limited appeal. A pump collector many have one in his collection but rarely more than one, and many times these have been opened up to make a display cabinet for his collection of smalls.

After you have listed what you are looking at, I'm sure many of the guys will tell you what they might be worth.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack gave you a lot of valuable information! I have several lubesters and my favorite is a 3 compartment model with glass cylinders built in 1928! You don't run into those very often though so try this! Look for any oil company brands on the lids themselves, usually cast iron if an oil company was involved. Check the brass tag on the pump itself and see who manufactured it. Check to see that all parts are there such as the dipstick. Smaller ones are usually more desireable because we all have space limitations! Look for that one thats just a little different or maybe a little more rare than the others. Be sure to check the bottoms as a lot of them are rusted thru from contact with damp soil. And above all, pick out the one you like the most because when you get it finished and displayed, its YOU that will look at it the most and you want to be able to enjoy it for whatever reason you picked it out!! Good Luck!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
OP Offline
You guys have been great! I will sort through the lubesters and look for the details you've written about in this thread. I'll post pictures when I get it home.
Thanks

Q
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Q
hey, pm sent, thx

im always looking but never find, why........
Q
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Q
laugh hey check your pm's. thx

im always looking but never find, why........
OP Offline
I picked up my first lubester Today. I chose the green Wayne Lubester with Texaco stickers. It looks like it has been painted green with a rattle can. It appears the inside has been cleaned out with solvent. There is no rust and only a couple of very minor dings. As per the advice given here in this thread, it has an embossed lid. It has a Wayne lid. It could use a little work before it is displayed with the rest of my pumps and junk. Here are a few pictures.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Since your kersosene dispenser (not lubster) is green it was designred to pump Keorsoene. Threre seems to not be any stops on your unit to stop pumpsing when you got ot half-pint, pint, or quart, your unit will probably filled a full quart before havding to return the handle back to the stop. It was made to fill into a can (usually supplied by the owner).

And because it is painted green, it will be for for dispensing Korscene, not oil, Red was for oils.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Krissly, looks like a great find, congratulations on your score and thanks for posting pics with your story. And...don't let anyone fool you ....it doesn't matter what it dispensed everyone under the age of 100 still calls them lubesters. smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice LUBESTER, and color does not mean a darn thing once it is restored to your liking, The world has enough Red Lubesters.
I have restored several Blue/Orange Gulf Lubesters, I wonder what those held

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Cool!!! I've enjoyed doing a few lubesters over the last few years. I prefer to turn them into two or three color restos: Old Richfield; Glimore; Mobil (red and white); Shell (red and yellow); Old Essso (blue and white); and one three color Polly (two colors of green on the tank with black pump head, etc.) Enjoy. Dave Folck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The color of a repainted lubester has no bearing on the product it was originally intended to dispense.

To tell if your 'Lubester' was originally sold as a Kerosene Dispenser or an Oil Dispenser is easy. You just look at the opening under the spout. If it is slightly larger than a glass quart oil bottle - it was sold to dispense oil. If it is quite a bit larger than a glass oil bottle, then it was designed for Kerosene.

The Kerosene containers of the time were usally half- or full-gallon glass containers with some sort of metal surround with a carrying handle. The customer filled them up at the Five-N-Dime/General Store and carried them home. Once home, they used the tiny spouts to fill their lamps and the units that fed the burners on the Kerosene stoves.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That don't make sense Jim. On these type of dispensers they are either 1/4" or 3/8". Size of jar/bottle/oil pitcher has nothing to do with dispenser.

OP Offline
Thanks for all the input everyone. I guess that's why these darn things continue to grow in our collections. It's a learn as you go hobby. I'll try to make sure next lubester has the limits and hopefully an embossed lid. I found one in Nevada and I'll be picking it up this coming Tuesday. I'll post pictures when I get it home.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
LUBESTERS ARE SO COOL!POST ALL YOUR PICTURES.ORIGINAL,RESTORED,ALL ARE GREAT.THANKS

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved