Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14712 Wed Aug 08 2001 07:32 PM
T
tmode Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hello--we are looking to buy a Bowser "Siamese Twin" for investment. The gentleman selling it wants $400.00. We found some information in a book that says this pump is very rare. Does anyone know what this pump might be worth in todays market? It has its faces, tags, and is in pretty good shape, with only one dent in the front panel. Any info would be aprreciated! Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14713 Thu Aug 09 2001 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A diamond in the rough has little value, UNTIL it has been cut, polished and set. A restored pump HAS value.

#14714 Thu Aug 09 2001 09:07 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I pretty sure I saw one of these for auction on Ebay not too long ago. I didnt watch it all the way through to close but I'm pretty sure it was past the $400 mark. I recall it being complete and looking at the picture in a 5-6 condition. I heard some in the "business" say that things go too cheap on Ebay and other such auctions... either the informed looking for a "steal" or the uninformed not willing to pay the value. But then again, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. You might try checking Ebay using the search function for completed auctions... it's one source of data for your evaluation.

#14715 Fri Aug 10 2001 09:16 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The ebay auction mentioned by Brian, only reached $330.00, and it was a no sale. If you function in the expense of picking it up that may be all it is worth on ebay. I had one of these pump and it was extreamly heavy, about 900 lbs. and I did not think it was that appealing. While someone called it rare, I don't feel that it is that rare, but I do believe it is worth the $400.00. Also while there are a number of rare items in this hobby, this doesn't mean that they worth a lot of money.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#14716 Fri Aug 10 2001 01:15 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Here's my two cents worth on "siamese" pumps.
I collected doubles for about 5 years based on the fact they are rare and I thought they were neat. I also like to do pumps in pairs.
Rare doesn't equate to worth. They are almost twice as expensive as a single to restore and will not sell for significantly more that a single. The post war models seem to sell much better than the 50's. I've had Bowsers, Bennetts, Gilbarcos, and Tokhiems.
All were ultra heavy and untransportable or unshipable as far as I am concerned. If you like them fine...but for an investment....nope. Actually the Bowser 50's pumps are a NO SALE in my area.

larry ivy
#14717 Fri Aug 10 2001 08:16 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
My two cents worth(which are worth 50 cents on the dollar)Siamese twins are worth how much you like them.We have all seen Jack Sims comments on worth and he is completely correct.An items worth is very subjective.Personally I would take an art deco pump above all others(except for a clockface).But thats only my two cents worth.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved