Next Thread
Print Thread
#147742 Fri Aug 07 2009 05:45 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
W
I am getting ready to paint one of my pumps to an un-restored look. Would like to create a weathered finish with flat red paint. The pump is currently mostly surface rust with blue and white paint. Would greatly appreciate some photos with techniques on this subject. Thanks!!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've heard, that if you mix Elmers Glue with the paint, that when it dries, it will crack like that "old paint" look.

There was a post, about four or five years ago, about "Faux finishing" pumps. You might want to try to find that. I'd look for you, but I STILL cant figure out the search function...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Get the widest brush you can find and paint everything including the ad glass....viola.....looks like everyone I have picked up.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I BELIEVE THAT HOME DEPOT SELLS A PAINT CRACKLE KIT.

I BOUGHT THE NEPTUNE 855 IN THESE PICS ESPECIALLY FOR IT'S UNIQUE WELL WEATHERED CRACKED PAINT JOB. IT CERTAINLY DOES GET ALOT OF POSITIVE
COMMENTS AND IT IS OUTSIDE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Each brand of automotive paint has a low gloss clear option. The low gloss or "flat" finishes are often used on the front lower bumper panels on trucks. I think the eggshell gloss clearcoat would be a good option for making a restored gas pump look as if it is unrestored.

Generally a flattening agent is added to your normal clear before reduction and activation. Then you spray the normal way. The mixing ratio of flattening agent to clear determines the level of gloss. The clear looks glossy as it is sprayed, then gets lower gloss as it flashes off and cures.

Here is a link to a pdf file from PPG for their 2060 flat clear showing mixing ratios and application methods. We have used it with PPG's 2042 clear that can be air-dried with good success.

https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProductCat...fb-cb8b9da7f393

A flat clear would give excellent protection just like any urethane clear including resistance to UV sun fading and breakdown. It would give a pump that "as found" look. Ask your auto paint supplier for low gloss clear options for the clear system you are already using.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a Wayne 80 that I restored. I took the pump completely apart and repainted and rewired the inside. I wet sanded the original outside paint with 400 wet sandpaper then put a couple coats of wax on it. I repainted the base with a rattle can and wet sanded it to burn through the paint in spots. Pictures don't due this justice how clean and smooth it turned out.

Last edited by Coops 427; Fri Aug 07 2009 07:28 PM.

-Matt
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a 36B that I'm working on and did the same above procedure but put clear lacquer over the multiple layers of old paint. I then wet sanded the lacquer with 220. It's smooth as glass. I will post more pictures of this when it's finished.

-Matt
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Or, you can send it to the body man I sent my pump to. He will take his grinder to it and mess up the skins, then paint it in the rain while its windy so you get lots of dirt in the paint, then overspray it so you have lots of runs.
Or maybe not.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vermonter we must know the same family of painters !
When I got a 646 back, I was so *Y*&^ I threw the panels in the back of truck in front of the painter. Told him I could have done better with a 2" Brush.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
if you want to get a wrinkle finish-- just get can spray paint spray your color of choice - 1 color first and then chose your other color then sand down with 400 to expose the first coat in differant area let dry for a day then gets some lacquer thinner and wipe down the pump let set for 5 min. then get a can of clear and spray the pump and it will wrinkle you can leave like that or wait a couple of days give it a light scuff and spray some more clear

looking for spanish gas signs
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Find this kid and give him a can of paint!

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
T
Here's a technique for creating a rusty look. Take two cans of spray paint, one flat rust, the other a medium tan. Shake real good and spray both at the same time, in a rotating motion. Light coats at first to get the right look. It looks like rust and will give a good, "lived in" look. Tom

Someone will have to enlighten me here. I'm not sure I understand restoring something to an unrestored look. If one wants an unrestored look, why not leave it as is?? whistle

Bernie
Retired but refuse to grow up.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some wives require a Shabby Chic look to blend in with Their interior designing ! Got to please the wife if you want it in the House.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved