Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#148056 Mon Aug 10 2009 05:51 PM
Bernie Offline OP
OP Offline
We collectors treasure old "stuff". In this case, petroliana. I'm currently in my 60s and have just started in this wonderful hobby.

As a result, I remember seeing a lot of the collectibles used in service stations beginning in the 1950s. If only I would have stashed away some of that stuff at the time...

So my advice to young collectors is buy current gas station items like oil cans and signs. A quart of oil can be had for a few dollars today . But what will mint conditioned full cans of oil be worth in 30, 40 and 50 years from now? Will oil even exist then?

You might say that that's a long time. Well it is and it isn't. I remember the 60s like they were yesterday. I remember seeing the Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. I remember seeing Armstrong step onto the moon in 1969. It all seems like yesterday. And what if I had mint unopened oil cans from then to include from companies that no longer exist?? I think that would be pretty cool.

So even though it sounds like a long time, time really does fly. smile

Bernie
Retired but refuse to grow up.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bernie, you are so right. I am 55 and yet because of having a limited budget (especially in the mid 80's) I use to get all the new promotional items. Remember when Gulf had matchbox cars - I have all the cars plus the plastic banner. (Now the banner story is interesting because plastics are not like metal or cardboard. After 6 or 7 years that banner became so brittle it just fell apart because of its exposure to air (not light as it was in a dark area). So even preserving things today does not guarantee that they will survive 20, 30 or even 40 years. Other examples include: in the late 80's when Gulf did a credit card promotion I solicited from Gulf cooperate a complete station promotion kit, and again in the mid 80's when Sunoco did their flower seed give-away I got a couple of counter top displays and as many seed packets as I could get and of course not let us forget all the yearly Hess promotial stuff with their toy truck sales. I also have a box of newer plastic quarts probably most of which no longer are sold. You just have to be nice and persistent with station managers and ask for any promotional materials. Like you said someday hopefully this stuff might be wanted. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would have to disagree, the reason Old Gas Station items are collectable now is because nobody wanted it and it was all thrown away for years, That is what makes it desirable now. I would suggest new collectors to collect vintage items that are now collectible and they can afford. Collecting all the Gas Station diecast and the Giveaways is a waste as there is a way overabundance supply, Just look at all the Coke collectables and Diecasts that were bought thinking they would be collectible only to end up in dumpsters because everybody has them and you can't give the stuff away.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am with KZ... collect what you like. If it has value later then what a bonus! Collecting only because it might become valueable is all the wrong reasons.

I like the old arcade games myself but one of them take up as much room as 2 pumps. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with KZ & Jarvis. I would also stay away from Plastic as it is not made to last more than a few years outside & may become brittle as it ages.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Just the reason to buy plastic, store it in the dark, don't dare open the box it came in up and play with it. Having said that, I buy stuff I like, play with it, show it off, that's why don't collect plastic or made in china anything. Long after we are all gone, they may do a documentary on those people who saved all that "old stuff" Do you think they will know how much fun are having? or will be seen as ?????????? tt

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I agree with KG, Jarvis & DB. Items made to be collectibles will never be worth anything. How many of you are buying Obama Coins?

Wy mife has a loft, NOT A LOT, A LOFT, of collectible Barbie Dolls, I doubt If I will ever live to see them worth what she paid for them, and I also do not believe she will ever live that long for them to be worth what she paid for them.

IF YOU ARE A COLLECTOR, DON'T EVER PURCHASE ANYTHING THAT ADE Made to be a collectibles. We are susposed to know what we collect, we buy book to tell us what these collectibles are worth now in the future, we are susposed to believe them, because they were written by guys with more knowledge that waht we have.

finding things from 20-30 years ago are worth collecting, as long as you have nothing in them. If you have a choice between buyting cases of cans from the 90s or one nice used can from the 50's, buy the can from the 50s. They will appreciate much facter than anything you purchase from today's market.

People are not looking for things made in the last frewyears, they are looking for things that were mande years asg. Unless it is free, pass ut the junk pay for the good stuff, they are like money in the back.

Let's look at this one more way.

You show up at IG or CTO, you have 300 to spend. You look up and down the isles. You spor a few thing.
Then you grag a beer, sit back before maing you decision.
I can take my $300 back home and put it in the local bank. They will give me 3% interest for the yeer. That means, I give them $300 and at the end of the year they will give me back $309, (but wait, I have to pay fed taxes on that $9)

Or I can walked the isles, of IG or CTO, look for that perfect signglobe, whatever (You are susposed to know what you are looking at) and pick out a picce that you know is worth more than ypou are paying for it) then take it home and put it away.
My theory is, you don't have to be in love with everything you prucsase, just like it long enough for it to gain in value, sell it and buy the piece you do like.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
In the same vein as plastic,I suggest draining cardboard (composite) oil cans,cause they weep as time goes by and weren't designed to hold oil long term.

Always collect what you like..First & Foremost,regardless of it's monetary value to you or others.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I do not suggest collecting diecast as it is a big waste of money but the supporting promotional items especially out of the ordinary items might be a good idea. And as I also said (please reread my posting) the stuff is free if you are nice and persistent thereby allowing money to be spent on older stuff. John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just to throw my two cents in. I feel that the baby boom generation is the last group of people who by in large both remember these vintage items and have some sentiment or connection with them. Let’s face it; gas pumps were ugly by the 1970's and many companies started moving more to plastics than porcelain. Kids in the 80's can remember the sterile gas station which hardly represented anything special like they used to. I feel that there will come a time when the prices for gas items will peak and then begin a slow decline. Do many of the kids today care about a Sun Oils sign wit rust on it? No, most have their faces half buried in an Ipod and don’t appreciate the past.

Young collectors need to try and spark interest in other young collectors to keep the hobby alive. There will come the time when many of the older collectors will have to chose between that sign on the wall or say a retirement nest egg or a medical procedure. I feel that the days of 50,000.00 gas pumps and 17,000.00 globes are numbered. If younger collectors want to protect the hobby and their investments they need renewed interest in what we do.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ryan--
I couldn't agree more. Whether it's globes, pumps, or maps, the next generations do not seem interested at thie moment. If it's price that's the problem, oil company maps from the 1970s and 1980s are still affordable. But I have the feeling it's beyond the economic situation. Whatever causes this apathy toward petroliana, I hope it ends soon.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I believe the thing you want to collect is the things that bring good memories back from your youth. As a 15 year old I spent a summer in a small town in Iowa and have real fond memories of the old pepsi machine that sat out in front of the saw shop on main street. It's a plain machine but I want one. People wont want things that have no meaning to them. For the most, In my opinion. I wonder what will triger memories with my kids. With gas stations I think the plastic lighted signs on the canopies will be the most worthwile parts of todays stations. Also does any one collect the Gas station company commercials you see on TV in the past and now? Like movie reels on tape

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
For both the "new" and "old" collectors a like here, you might want to "revisit" a thread that that posted originally on 1/9/'07. The thread is entitled: "What got you started"? by Savinsam. Very few members(at the time) started out collecting "gas and oil" related items at a young age. I won't be around when a lot of the newer younger members reach their 50's. But like collectors of the past historial items I believe the "gas and oil" hobby will survive. Depending on future events, the number of collectors could be smaller, larger or about the same. Only time will tell. One bit of advise and it has been given by much better collector's than I. Buy the best item you can afford. If you only have $20 or $1,000,000 to spend. Research and buy something that will hold up, something with history. Something you will be proud to display and possibily past on to your children and/or grandchildren.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Having read all of these...I am going to through in my two-cents. I agree on don't buy anything marked collectible if you are wanting to see an increase in value. I sold diecast for years and that market has collapsed. Not that I bought and sold for increased value...but evennew items are hard to sell for retail. I just sold about $500 wholesale worth of diecast to my brother for $200.

As far as oil and gas collectibles. Many of us bought items for a low price or free, years ago. Although, often we have had to 'pony up' the $$$ for good pieces. But look at it if you were starting now. Would your collections get to be as big? Maybe not. There just aren't many Wayne 60s in the barns at $100 a piece like there were 25 years ago. LOL Also, as has been stated, many of today's youth have no memories of these brands. Even the common brands like Texaco and Mobil. And what are we doing to encourage the youth to get in the market? My son is interested, but hasn't caught the bug. He has gone to shows and travelled to look for things, but he would rather put fancy wheels and tires on his vehicle than pay $$$ for a sign. (especially since he knows the old man will buyit and he will inherit my stuff.)

Last edited by Alex; Tue Aug 11 2009 09:38 AM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Reading these posts gets me to thinking again! Just look at the latest poll on how long members have been collecting. Vast majority over 20 years (40 for me). I have two grown boys that know all about my collection,(albeit small) but have no interest in keeping it.
They quite honestly are advising me to start unloading some of it now, take the $$ and enjoy doing something else while I have time to do it. There are many others out there in the same boat.
As others have said on this thread, DON'T put your money in stuff that's been mass produced called "collectables"! Just be patient & wait for someone like me to start selling off. It's coming to that for many in the near future. But what do I know?
I bought fuel oil last fall at $4.36 per gallon to beat the higher price that was coming!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved