Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dj3928 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hi all,

I am a newbie to gas station collecting and have a question about restoring a gas pump. I have a Tokheim model 452A made in 1964, its a Shell pump. How do you guys get the correct paint color for shell pumps? Is it just Yellow and Orange or is there special Shell colors.
I realize that repro parts are not available for this pump but it is all there, the stainless pieces, gaskets, etc... so hopefully I wont need anything for it.

Thanks for the answers to my questions, I'm sure I will have more after I start restoring this pump.

Darrell

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Hi Darrell,

Welcome to oldgas! The best bet for getting a paint color is to match the paint to the signs/decals you are going to use for your pump. Paint codes are available, but usually dont match the signs/decals very good.

Hope this helps, Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...for 1964, the pump should be either white (Super Shell) or yellow (Shell Gasoline)...original decals and/or plastic pump signs are generally available on eBay from time to time...you may even be able to find a good spot of original paint on the back of one of the panels, or under the stainless pieces, that you could have matched...

...there are several photos of Shell pumps from that period in the 'Service Stations, Vol.1' book, available from the Oldgas Bookstore...

...sounds like a pretty easy restoration, and you should be able to keep it really authentic and original with very little trouble...please take before and after photos and post them on Oldgas...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe Don has an NOS plastic SHELL sign at www.oilnspeed.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the style decal or plastic sign that was mentioned above.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
D
dj3928 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I have taken the pump apart, removed the internal parts. I assume there isnt any market for these?

I cleaned the readout mechanism and reset it for 34 9/10 cents and reset the gallons and dollar amount to zero.

How about the type paint to use? I plan on mounting the pump outside.

Enamel, Acrylic Enamel, Base coat/Clear coat ?

The hose on the pump is intact and looks ok, it does rub off black on your hands when handled, is it worth the extra expense for a new hose if its never used?

More questions to follow, Thanks for the reply's

Darrell

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The 452 series doesn't lend itself for two-toneing unless you paint the top different from the bottom. Tokheim's literatue for the pump states "Both the 448 and 452 Series pumps feature wide, stainless steel sides and top which enhance the beauty of their modern styling and reduce painted surfaces to a minimum. All the pictures of the 452 that I have show it with solid color top and bottom.
The Shell pumps at my station in St. Louis County were solid color.
If you want to see some pictures of the 448 & 452 pumps, see pages 293 to 295 of my Gas Pump Identification book, or go to my website www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Or you can go directly to the 448/452 page at:
http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20pumps.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
D
dj3928 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks Jack, it was nice to see how the pump looked when it was new!

Darrell

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...here's a set of decals (might even be some sort of template for placement on the pump door) that I believe would work perfectly on your pump...surely someone on Oldgas could confirm:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190328428050

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a pump and lubester I did years ago in Shell and still have in my collection. The paint I used is PPG Concept single stage "Sunburst Yellow", code: DCC82618***H. This is a perfect match for Shell yellow. Hope this helps.

-Matt

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved