Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149042 Wed Aug 19 2009 07:37 AM
OP Offline
Anyone out there know anything about these in-ground hoists? I have one in my shop at home, Rotary model 46A I think, single piston air over hyd.

It now sits about 5 inches off the floor. It should go all the way down under its own weight. Anyone know what to do to fix it? It's a little sticky going up but does go up all the way. I only have a 25 Gal compressor so assume I don't have enough air to make it go up properly. Cylinder appears to be in good condition. Tight Seal? any help appreciated at melcraven@comcast.net thanx, Mel

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Is there a pipe plug located near the base of the cylinder?

If so I would try loosening it and see if any air comes out, you may have air trapped in the cylinder if it's a recent install. Be sure to keep your feet clear as it will come down if that's the problem.

Also please make sure you have the rod/lock mechanism installed correctly and use the lock feature EVERY time you use your lift.
I have used in ground and above ground lifts most of my adult life and use the lock feature always.

OP Offline
This lift has NO lock mechanism. It's old, I don't know where it came from. The shop was built 8 years ago by a previous owner. I use the hoist only every few months. I will try pulling the plug located on the top of the cylinder and stay clear of pinch points. Safety lock = 4 X 4 propped under. But it really is a good hoist, I just think I don't use it enough. I'm sure someone out there knows something about this. Can't be the first person to have this problem. The only hoist knowledge I've found here in Spokane is for above ground lifts. Thanx again.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have a INSALLATION INSTRUCTIONS for the Airdraulic Rotary Model FP46A, Mark II.

Email me if interested.

jhsim@swbell.net

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I wouldn't 'pull' the plug completely out, just loosen it up enough to bleed out any trapped air. If you take the plug completely out my guess is that you'll have hydraulic fluid all over the floor.

I'm obviously not a hydraulic/lift mechanic but I've kept most of ours running over the years. smile

OP Offline
I really need some help here. I pulled the fill plug and there is no trapped air. I can't find the bleed valve that is shown in the installation instructions AND I parked my CJ5 on top of the cylinder and it wont go down. Anyone know an old hoist repair guy?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I was still employed at a shop , my boss would have us pull the plug , not all the way but enough to " bleed the system " usualy when one of those lifts binds going up or down , it's usually a pocket of air in the line somewhere . Even then , sometimes I had to climb up and stand on the darn thing to make them go down . Yes the seals do go bad as I have spoken to people in the business of repairing them . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
If it has a guide pole to one side I have had to remove this and use a smaller piece of pipe to ram down the hole several times to clean the dirt out that accumulated at the bottom of the hole. The pipe takes a core plug out of the bottom dirt and grime a little at a time. Dont know if this is the problem but I have had to do this a couple of times with one I have used regularly for the past 15 years.
Brandon

OP Offline
Bump...Still looking for hoist repair info. This hoist does NOT have the guide pole. It would actually spin in a circle if I tried.........I think.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved