Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#149176 Thu Aug 20 2009 12:17 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hello everybody. I thought I might try to post some pictures. The pics are of items that I have either owned my self or have done the body and paint work for some one else.
I started re painting coke items first in 1992 and quickly turned to gas pumps. No refrigeration to mess with when you re do a pump.
The pics are not in perfrct order but I tried to show before and after pics starting from my first coke cooler to my last pump that was finished in 2007. I am very close to finishing a M/S 80 pump and will post pics when I get done.
There are over 200 pics so I'll post them 10 at a time. If you happen to be a visitor to the other channel then you may have already seen these pics. I hope you all enjoy.
It has been a fun hobby for a long time now.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
SOME MORE....

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

I'll post more as the days go by. Lots more to see stay tuned.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the pictures! Sure would be nice seeing the things others have or had or have done.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gee that 2nd photo makes you look almost 20 yrs younger!!!!!

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love the pics!!! YOu might want to post 3 pics per reply so when the posts get to 15 it will start a page 2 and so on. This works better for people on dial up as the page will time out before all the pics load.
Hope that makes sence?

Again we love pictures!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #149229 Thu Aug 20 2009 08:37 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
More!!!

Mike
strnge #149242 Thu Aug 20 2009 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice work!!I love the upright machines.Keep them coming
Joe

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Cool stuff! Thanks for Sharing! tt

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
FRIDAY. I'll post some more. I will try to break them up a bit so it doesn't take an hour to load sorry.

hope this is better???

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The thing that you may notice is the more pumps I did the better they seemed to turn out. I started out using enamel paint with laquer primer sprayed through a siphon feed gun.
Years later I switched to a gravity feed HVLP gun using base coat clear coat PPG products on top of hi build primers and have never looked back. Four yaers a go I upgraded to a 600.00 SATA JET 2000 spray gun and the paint flows and looks like glass when it dries. If it were not for dirt and bugs wet sanding would not even be necessary. Someday I'll get a nice garage to spray in. Oh Well. Everybody have a great day.

h

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Maybe just a few more today because it is friday after all.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
nice pick up load

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks good there. My wife would love to have 5 minutes with that Coke stuff smile I agree 100% with the truckload of pumps. Like the showcase best. Keep them coming smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Did this pump for fellow old gas member Jim White. My first clockface job. Actually it is ALL Jims fault that I got into gas and oil stuff in the first place. I answered an ad in the Wheeler Dealer back in 91 or 92 because I was looking for some gas and oil signs for my boss. Jim sold some signs to me and I showed him some pictures of some Coke stuff I was doing and the rest is history. I started doing pumps and have done a couple per year ever since. DAMN HIM!!! smile

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Of course after I did a clock face for him I had to have one for myself. Just wish I could have kept it longer.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Jim has had some hard to find pumps over the years here is another....as a matter of fact this would be my first basecoat clearcoat paint job. I put four coats of clear over the water release decals. After wet sanding with 2000 grit paper and polishing they were very smooth almost no edge lines at all.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I guess I have always liked that Richfield eagle....

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have never been a big gravity feed fan. Too much glass to worry about and I think that they must have originally used cement to secure those cylinders to the pump. I have spent countless hours chipping away at the sealer they used to use.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I am sure that I have told this story before,actually one of the first posts on this site I told the story of regretting selling this pump....this is a picture of the one pump I still wish I had never sold.
I bought this pump at an auction for less than 200.00 and people in the crowd laughed at me. Too bad they never got to see the end result!!
By the way I saved the sheetmetal you see in the picture. I bought new lower skins, bezels, faces and misc parts but had the remaining metal soda blasted so it didn't warp or blow holes thru it. Welded patches from the inside where ever it was needed filled with duraglass for strength then finished with body filler. Primed and painted with enamel. Lot of work but worth it when you enjoy the end result.

Thats all for today. I'll post more on Monday Everybody have a great weekend!

Last edited by TUCKER48; Fri Aug 21 2009 01:36 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like the Richfield clock face pump. What is it?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
kinda looks like db's 850 in the early pics!!turned out nice though

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Fri Aug 21 2009 03:05 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Man that is soooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!! grin

Bernie
Retired but refuse to grow up.
Bernie #149378 Fri Aug 21 2009 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You like pepsi products dont you lol. your stuff looks great. very nice

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #149404 Fri Aug 21 2009 09:18 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Too bad you live so far away......Sweet!

Mike
strnge #149659 Mon Aug 24 2009 05:02 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The short yellow and blue clockface was a national apex pump. The tall light blue and cream colored clockface was a bennett shotwell. Even though I have re-painted all of this stuff and owned a lot over the years I have never done one for myself to keep. I sold my coke collection 11 years ago. I have just a few things left now and have really slowed down on doing gas pumps. I did one in 2007 none in 2008 and am working on two of them now but both to sell.
I have been holding back on a pair of hayes visibles that I have always wanted to put on an island. Maybe next year I'll do just that. The problem is everytime you make a plan life gets in the way and the plan changes!

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Good monday morning everyone. Here is another clock I painted for Jim White a while ago....

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I think this next pump always has a bad rep. Most people don't like them because they are just too heavy and not real pretty to look at but I like the way this one turned out. I currently own one of these pre-visibles and plan on doing mine in a very similar paint theme....by the way the pinstripes are painted on not vinyl. I like to paint then clear them so there are no edges, feels nice and smooth once it is sanded and polished.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Yup another clock owned by Jim again. The bennett was mine.

the short tokheim was mine too. I re painted it and sold it to the owner of the dealership where I work for his private collection.

well thats all for today. See ya tomorrow.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow!!! Lots of Great Pumps!!!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
TUESDAY HOW ABOUT SOME MORE....

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
more....

I had this pump all put together and delivered when the new owner decided that he wanted white doors instead.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
This tokheim has a little story behind it. I drove past this pump one summer day while going through Jackson. It sat out by the road in front of a very run down old farm house. I pulled in and some mean junkyard dogs on long chains came at me but they didn't quite make it to the pump so I stepped up to take a closer look.
The pump was shot it didn't have a straight piece of sheetmetal on it. It looked like it had been run into by a truck or tractor. This thing was bad. I had 100.00 on me and thought that was too much but that is what I was willing to go up to if I could get it.
So the dogs are barking like crazy and some guy comes out of the house looking the part of the old dirt farmer. This poor guy looked worse than the farmhouse he was living in. He spits somw chew and asks me what I need. I ask if he would like to sell his pump and he asks me what I think its worth. I smile because I'm thinking not a whole hell of a lot but I say maybe 75.00.
He smiles now and I can see a whole lot of really bad teeth and he says that he has turned down offers for 300.00. I tell him that I could give him 100.00 cash if he'd like to get rid of it today and he says no thanks and just stares at me.
I thank him for his time hop into my truck and leave.
Another year later I happen to go by his place again and the pump is gone. I figure oh well if someone was crazy enough to give him 300.00 for it good for them.
Some time goes by and I visit an antique mall in the town of Stockbridge and to my total surprise there sits that pump. The asking price? 100.00. I had driven my car to the anitque store that day and my wife was with me. I saw that pump and told her it was coming home with me. I paid 100.00 for it and proceeded to load it into the trunk of my car. As my wife and I were tipping the thing top first into my trunk an old man who happened to be a vendor at the mall walks up and asks what do I want with that wreck? I tell him that I'm going to restore it and he shakes his head and says why do that? I tell him so I can re-sell it and make some money. He says Well I don't see how. (OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH)
I spent weeks hammering the metal straight and smoothing with filler but here is the end result. I only regret that I didn't take any before pictures.

this is probably the worst pump I have ever done!! it was shot.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tucker--I recently aquired a G&B 65 just like the one you have pictured and I was wondering about color schemes when I saw your post! Looks great, so I printed out the picture of the pump all done up and I plan to do mine pretty much the same way with your permission, of course! Thank you--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Very cool! I don't mind a bit. If you'd like I may be able to dig up some better pics. I tried not to go overboard with the pics in my post so I didin't scan all of my photos. It is good to know someone out ther likes my work or may be inspired to do one of there own based on something they have seen.
When I posted these pics on the other channel a guy saw my blue to silver RichField paint job and painted two of his pumps with a fade. They looked great. Show some pics of yours when you get it done!!
My wife always shakes her head when I look at a pump because she knows I'm thinking about how I would want it painted. I can usually get an idea in my head pretty quickly once I see one because I'm not worried about doing absolute correct museum restorations. Just have fun with it. I really have enjoyed using different pearl powders in the last few pumps I have done, they just look great when the sun hits them. They seem to glow. Still having fun just not as much as I used to.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Love the pics! Keep them coming! That is what this great site is all about!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #149853 Wed Aug 26 2009 04:55 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
WEDNESDAY. MORE PICS ON THE WAY....

According to the serial number this 36b was supposed to be a station lighter. I purchased two of these pumps at the same time and they both had the same flat style tops. I have only seen one other like it. I have looked in a lot of books and have not seen pictures of a 36b with this top. Looks strange to me. They both had square holes in them so I welded the square hole shut and cut in a circle for the globe holder and light bulb to get the end result. This is a picture of the one I re painted. The other one I sold about a year ago un-restored.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wow!man you have done a lifetime worth of stuff in half the time.great pics !!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I used to be able to come home from work grab a sandwich and head out to the garage until 12 or 1am. Can't do that too much anymore. I'm only 41 but now I have kids and a house that needs a lot of work so pumps have kinda taken a back seat.
I can relate to that Toby Keith song "I aint as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was".

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Great stuff for sure! My favorite thread on here.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Got a late start today. Having problems with photobucket, can't get to all of my pictures with out a lot of messing around. Any way here are some more.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The next pictures are of my pole barn. I only have two signs left on the barn now so it doesn't look like this anymore but I used to have total strangers stop by to take photos and ask about pumps and signs and stuff. Oh the good ol days!!
yes I restored the Massey Harris also. Took two months of non stop work but was the greatest tractor I have ever owned.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I noticed on the Mobil Short 39 that there is no access door below the turnback crank and the lock on the bottom of the door. It looks like a cross between a Tokheim 39 and a Tokheim "Lub-Bar".
What's the story on that pump?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I wish I could tell you more about it. As you can see the barn is red in that picture so that tells me I owned that pump 11 years ago. I did a real quick paint job on it (that is why it has that cheap looking metal sign) and sold it fast so I could work on the barn and house. Don't even remember who I bought it from just been too darn long sorry.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well happy Friday everyone. This will be the last batch of photos for this post.
I will start a new post on monday so stay tuned. I have another 450 photos of gas and oil stuff from shows, auctions, museums and such that I have taken over the years. I'll break them up over 4 or 5 posts so the whole 450 pics don't take forever to load. Lots of cool stuff to see if you really like to look at gas stuff!! (and I know you do)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Georgetown Rick
I noticed on the Mobil Short 39 that there is no access door below the turnback crank and the lock on the bottom of the door. It looks like a cross between a Tokheim 39 and a Tokheim "Lub-Bar".
What's the story on that pump?

I believe the Tokheim 39's with the lock on the bottom of the Doors, actually had lift off doors similar to a LuBar. Not sure if the Lift off door Tokheim 39 models came without access doors though, but would make sense because you really wouldn't need access from the side if the Doors lift off. Maybe this Style Tokheim 39's were made with Surplus Lubar's that tokheim had left over????

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Here is something a little different. I took an empty Vendo 81 shell and turned it into a display case for the guy who owns it. I think it turned out great but the night that I was finishing it up I had an accident with it and stayed up 24 hours to repaint the door assemble and deliver to the Chicago coin op show. That was a long day!

after the coin op show the owner took this back to his shop. He loved the final result but not where he had put it. So he grabs a dolly and moves it around and while he is moving it the thing falls off of the dolly and damages the door again in damn near the exact same spot I had stayed up 24hrs to fix before. He was sick about it but I took it back and made it look good again. I was soooo glad when that job was done!!!

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
This next batch of photos marks a turning point for me in my life. If there happen to be any young guys or gals reading this pay attention now....DO NOT DO WHAT I DID and burn yourself out on this hobby. I have a full time job that I work at for 45hrs per week. (yes I am grateful every day for it too)
however I spent over 100 hrs in a 3 and a half week period of time, getting this display ready for a customer and burned myself out so bad that I started selling off all of my stuff and was ready to wash my hands of the whole gas and oil hobby.
I took something that I used to do for fun and turned it into a full time job which was no fun at all.
I re did 2 pumps 3 light poles 1 eco air meter 2 paper towel boxes 2 lamp shades 2 arrow signs built from scratch from scrap metal parts and other misc items and was never so happy in my life to be done with it all!
At one point I was going to sell my compressor and spray guns and be done totally. I used to be able to knock out a pump in about 3 weeks. The one I am almost finished with now has taken me 3 months. All of the photos I have posted are no newer than 4 or 5 years because I just have never gotten back into the hobby like I used to. So take it easy in this hobby and in life don't get burned out there is so much to see and do take your time and enjoy it all.....ok how about some more pics?

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
This next pump is the one that I am most proud of. This pump was also owned by Jim white. The pump sat at my house for 3 years waiting for me to get to it. Jim managed to buy new upper sheetmetal for it and I was able to mediablast and save the middle sheetmetal but nobody could duplicate the lower metal. I went to every sheetmetal and welding shop in my area and nobody owned a bead roller device to duplicate the bead at the top and bottom of the lower skins.
I was in a Harbor freight store one day and saw a bead roller machine for 200.00. I bought it and took it to my neighbors welding shop in mason. Together we made lower skins for this pump and I finally got it done.
Jim picked the pump up and took it to a sale in Auburn Indiana. He sold it two days later. I had the thing for 3 years he had it less than a week and it was gone. I was a little sad but still happy to know that somebody liked the pump as much as I did.

I

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well we have reached the end. I finished and sold this pump in 2007. I took 2008 off to work on my house. I still enjoy painting I just don't take on too much at once anymore. This year I have done a complete paint job on a 1994 mustang as well as doing one martin/schwartz model 80 pump. I'll post pics of the finished pump soon. I hope you have enjoyed the pics. It has been fun. If anybody has one of those National Simplex pumps and wants it re done let me know I would love to do another. That was probably the most fun I have ever had doing a pump. Jim gave me freedom to do whatever I wanted to do paint wise because he knew it would be great when it was finished. He is a real good guy to deal with and a good friend.
See ya guys and gals later.

Almost forgot... I re sprayed these light poles in the early spring of this year.

ok now THE END.
THE END.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very nice I'm happy to have seen it. I love the National

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Wow great job on everything!!! smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved