Next Thread
Print Thread
#14955 Fri Nov 01 2002 06:58 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Just received an email with zip file from Scott Benjamin about a WinXP patch. This email contains a virus..DO NOT OPEN IT!!! This was not sent intentionally by Scott. Luckily, my virus scan caught it.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14956 Fri Nov 01 2002 08:55 PM
Online Cool
For much of this year, several variant worms (viruses) have been sending out infected attached files by forging the "From" address and getting the "To" address from a list that is associated with the "From" address. This may be from the email address book of the infected computer or harvested email addresses from some other source.

Don't let your guard down when you think you know who the sender is. The worm is forging the sender info to trick you. I wish I knew how many were sent out with my email address forged as the sender. Make no mistake, I never send out attached files to anyone without getting their permission before the attachment is ever sent.

One of the sneakiest tricks is the "Undeliverable mail" scam. The virus is in the attached file. The message says your undelivered message is in the attachment. You would have to open the attachment to see what message wasn't delivered. Whoa! Don't open it. Your email server would never do that. It is a virus scam!

So don't blame the apparent sender for the virus. It is probably forged. Scan all email messages and attachments. Include all file types in the scan, not just the traditional few. Many viruses are contained in pif, scr and doc files now. Don't be mad or paranoid, just be careful out there.

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved