Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15084 Fri Jan 17 2003 07:11 AM
J
JUNIOR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I found a few old pumps at some farms located near my house. I've never removed any before and I have a few questions. What tools are needed in removing pumps? Do you cap off the underground tank after you get the pump off? Any other advise would be great as I don't know what Im doing. Thanks in advance.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#15085 Fri Jan 17 2003 08:40 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hi Junior:
These are my strict rules for removal.
NO POWER TOOLS, EVEN CORDLESS ! Avoid anything that can throw a spark.
2 LARGE PIPE WRENCHES 18"
1 LARGE RIGID PIPE CUTTER
1 CRESCENT WRENCH 14"
1/2 drive sockets and long breaker bar
Misc small hand tools - duplicates of 1/2 & 9/16 wrenches

Your three main obstacles are obvious:
1)Connector pipe to tank will hopefully have a union near base of pump. If not there will be a pipe flange on the pump.
2)Pump is fastened with lag bolts to concrete pad.
3)Lack of working room at base of pump

These are just my personal opinion only !
Never use power tools including sabre saws while pump is still connected. Gas can still also be in all the pump piping and components.
If bolts fastening base are rusted over, try to twist them off with socket and breaker bar. I don't even use a chisel.
I have take the pump loose from the base before, remove the pump, and then tried to remove the base. Also easier to gut the pump right there if the base is off.

The farmer may want the pipe capped with a plug or you can use a plastic pipe cap. Ive seen repairmen violate all these rules without any consequences, the risk is up to you.

Good luck and be prepared to not smell too good if you don't have a change of clothes to wear home.

larry ivy
#15086 Fri Jan 17 2003 08:42 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hi Junior:
These are my strict rules for removal.
NO POWER TOOLS, EVEN CORDLESS ! Avoid anything that can throw a spark.
2 LARGE PIPE WRENCHES 18"
1 LARGE RIGID PIPE CUTTER
1 CRESCENT WRENCH 14"
1/2 drive sockets and long breaker bar
Misc small hand tools - duplicates of 1/2 & 9/16 wrenches

Your three main obstacles are obvious:
1)Connector pipe to tank will hopefully have a union near base of pump. If not there will be a pipe flange on the pump.
2)Pump is fastened with lag bolts to concrete pad.
3)Lack of working room at base of pump

These are just my personal opinion only !
Never use power tools including sabre saws while pump is still connected. Gas can still also be in all the pump piping and components.
If bolts fastening base are rusted over, try to twist them off with socket and breaker bar. I don't even use a chisel.
I have take the pump loose from the base before, remove the pump, and then tried to remove the base. Also easier to gut the pump right there if the base is off.

The farmer may want the pipe capped with a plug or you can use a plastic pipe cap. Ive seen repairmen violate all these rules without any consequences, the risk is up to you.

Good luck and be prepared to not smell too good if you don't have a change of clothes to wear home.

larry ivy
#15087 Fri Jan 17 2003 08:43 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hi Junior, the tools I always take with me , 2.pipe wrenches with cheater pipes,1 should be able to open 3" for the big connector . vise-grips and 12" cresent wrench for the electrical, hacksaw with extra blades ,big hammer and chisel incase its bolted to a foundation, and a piece of 2'by6'or 8' 1/2" ply wood , if your slideing the pump into the bed of your truck , put the plywood at the base of the pump and on the tail gate , so's not to put a crease in the door of the pump from teatering it on the edge of the tail gate plus it slides into the bed easier on ply wood , the tank is not your responsablity unless the farmer asks you to seal it , you can by a plastic pipe traed plug at the hardware store , you just have to know the size , good luck and watch your back ,

#15088 Fri Jan 17 2003 09:43 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Best to check with the local "authorities" for the rules and responsibilities regarding the tanks.

I have found some municipalities absolutely required the tanks removed if the pumps were disconnected. Too bad too, it was a great visible Fry but not worth the extra expense.

I have also had to fill tanks with water then cap off. That was sort of expensive but worth it in that case.

If you aren't sure where to find the laws related to these, you might start with the fire department.

The guys have pretty well covered it on tools. But be sure to take a big can of WD-Squirty with ya for those stubborn fasteners!

Good Luck and be careful.

#15089 Fri Jan 17 2003 09:50 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
One important item not mentioned yet is one I can't stress enough.
MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF BEFORE CUTTING THE WIRES! Trust me, don't assume anything regardless how long the pumps have been adandoned or unused. The first pump I removed was still connected and the power was still live. When I cut those wires what a surpise. LOL Just glad I had rubber coated pliers. Good luck and send us some pictures.

#15090 Fri Jan 17 2003 10:06 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Sorry for the dup post. Wow i forgot about power, I like that even less than gas fumes ! Also try to take someone with you or make sure someone is around the farm where you are going.

I went out on an abandoned farm in the middle of nowhere one time to remove a tall 39. I didn't take my appliance dolly and was using a home depot special. I got lazy and didn't gut the pump either. I was wheeling the pump back to my truck backward, tripped and fell backward with the pump and dolly falling on my chest and across one leg. I was pinned and hurting enough that I had to lay there for a while before I could work my way out from under the pump.
All that went through my mind was:
Nobody knows where I am and how long would it be before they look for me. Headlines:
MAN KILLED BY FALLING GAS PUMP ! Ended up with a cracked sternum and sore as heck for about 6 mos.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE and don't get in a big hurry.

larry ivy
#15091 Fri Jan 17 2003 10:17 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
The guys have pretty much covered all the tools you need.But so far as the regs go,almost all states require underground tanks to be removed after they have been out of service over a year.So in most cases if you find an old pump,the tank owner is in violation anyways.Personnaly I wouldnt contact local authorities before removing a pump,it would just cause problems for the person you are buying the pump from.Most local codes dont require you to contact local authorities before removing aboveground items.If you break concrete though that is another matter.I would cap the lines just to make it safe after the pump is removed.Morgan mentioned filling the tank with water,I dont think I would do that as this creates contaminated water that would eventually have to be disposed of at around .45 cents a gallon.Just mt 2 cents worth.One last thing,make sure the electric to the pump has been turn off.

#15092 Fri Jan 17 2003 12:05 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Just a clarification, the land owner stipulated that he would sell me the pump only if I agreed to fill the tank with water. I didn't really care for the idea but it helped me get a nice pump.

The EPA can get involved in these things now and can fine heavily for not adhering to their "guidelines".

#15093 Fri Jan 17 2003 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Junior, Ask the farmer if he would like the pump guts. Most are thrilled if you buy pump and then offer them a nice electic motor and pump assembly . It is great to unload these parts on site so the pump can be moved easer. It will save you time and will save you the trouble of disposal when you get home. Saves your back too. I have done this for years and most farmers love the extra parts. A win/win situation. Have fun !!!! Gas Pump Rob

------------------

#15094 Fri Jan 17 2003 07:41 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I don't want to sound naive but if the pump has not operated for 5 years or more is the gas still that volatile? I know the gas will still burn but it burns more like diesel fuel than gasoline. The volatility just doesn't seem to be there to cause an explosion (not that I want to find out). When you suggest that no power tool be used is it because of the sparks put out by the motor or the sparks that may be generated by a saw blade cutting though the pipe? I have a battery powered sawz-all and have never needed to use it on a pump removal. Would a hand operated hack saw respresent the same threat? The only reason I ask I figure one of these days I'll probably run across a pump that I really want and can't get it undone with wrenches.

#15095 Fri Jan 17 2003 08:49 PM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Not quite so necessary this time of year, but for summertime raids DEFINITELY have a can of bug spray for the yellowjackets, wasps, mosquitoes, hornets, spiders, fire ants and all other flying and crawling creatures that love to live in old gas pumps. I learned this the "hard way" about 15 years ago! "Never leave home without it".

Jim Winter
#15096 Fri Jan 17 2003 08:56 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Leather gloves and bandaids too!

#15097 Fri Jan 17 2003 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess that I have been lucky.
I have torched / sawzalled out over 300+ pump guts, without 1 fire.
When loading the pump, I also use plywood & a 3ft piece of PVC. Sure slides in/out easier.
Duct tape works better than Band Aids, espiecially on knuckles [also good to cap off wires, holds hose to pump for loading, holding doors closed etc.].

#15098 Sat Jan 18 2003 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Junior, go to an auto parts store and buy yourself a tube of waterless machanic's hand soap and throw it in your tool box. Nice to clean your hands when your done loading the pump. Be careful pump hunting,and collecting can become an adiction. After a while you will start to like the smell of old gas while removing pump guts. Maybe we crave the smell because we associate it with the new find. Anyway talk to you guys later I am going pump hunting!!!

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved