Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#15099 Tue Jan 21 2003 09:03 AM
J
JUNIOR Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was also wondering how most of you went about asking for pumps? Did you ask to HAVE or PURCHASE them? I'm new at this so I don't know how much to pay them. I cant tell what type of pumps they are from the road. I don't wanna pull into their yard and have to look thru my book for an hour. On my way home from work I look to see if anyone is outside so I can stop. I dont want to stop and disturb the owners from eating or working. Thanks 4 the help.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#15100 Tue Jan 21 2003 09:25 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Junior , the best way is never offer a price always let them put the price on it , I always look on mail boxes down the road for a name . pull in the yard . honk the horn so you don't startle the farmer or the dog , ha , I ask if he could help me , that joe blow down the road said i should talk to him for help , that i'm putting togather a museum of gas pumps or oil company stuff and might he have any , that i could buy or he might want to give , and i would have a plaque made for him as a contributor , if he asks how much will you give me , i alway say its your pump how much you want , when i went after the tokhiem 36 it took 3 years , the farmer would never put a price on it , but i got to know him because i would go by there once a monthor every 3 months , then he would say well its worth a lot of money , i said well its my birth day and this is what i want , so he said , aww just give me 400.00 for the damn thang , I couldn't move fast enough ,

#15101 Tue Jan 21 2003 09:38 AM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Clarification !
The discussion was about disconnecting a pump from an underground tank, not gutting the pump. If you think a sawzall won't ignite fumes from an underground storage tank, go ahead and use it. Ive bought pumps that had the base bolts cut loose from the island with a torch and the guy lived to sell the pump to me. Ive bought pumps gutted with a torch and Ive also bought pumps that had been on fire.

Also, Dwaine
This topic is about pump removal, not how you screwed some poor CA farmer out of his gas pump. You need to post those to the Stories & Tales Topic. HeHeHe

larry ivy
#15102 Tue Jan 21 2003 10:42 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Well Junior asked , I didn't mean to go on about it , sorry .

#15103 Tue Jan 21 2003 11:23 AM
S
S
I don't know about anyone else, but I never bother any farmers about their pumps on Sundays. I do this out of respect for the farmer, his/her family, and the Lord. A lot of people are still real sensitive about this. I think that is the quickest way to ruin a potential deal, besides leaving a gate open. I try to do a lot of driving around on Sunday afternoons but wait until any other day to make my approach.

#15104 Tue Jan 21 2003 12:00 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Good idea Mr. Hardy . about time for that chicken to start frying , boy at nothen better , farm fried chicken scolded just right , then ask about the pump , before Tim Rohr git there ,

#15105 Tue Jan 21 2003 12:24 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Hey Dwaine,
I think Tim buys all the good visibles and lets the owners keep them for awhile just to tease us guys out looking for them.

Heck I called a guy about a pump in Aberdeene
South Dakota and he said Tim had already been there and bought it. These young guys are leavin us in the dust so we'll have to be happy with the left over stuff we can pick up at the gas bash.

[This message has been edited by PremoPetrol (edited 01-21-2003).]

larry ivy
#15106 Tue Jan 21 2003 10:05 PM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
hey, lots of pumps ive taken out dont have anything holding them down but the pipe from the tank. i unhook the wires & start spinning the whole pump itself around counter clockwise. un screw the whole thing. if its in dirt, clean dirt out from around the base. and around & around she goes & its off. REALLY EASY!!! then they usually have something around to use to cap off the pipe. coffee can etc... you got the pump off real fast & thats where you get the SUPREME time to search around for a cover for the pipe. thats when you find out whats hiding behind the barn etc... THATS YOUR INVATITION TO SNOOP!!! ----- maybe spot that 32 3 window body hid behind the barn?!! or a whizzer!!! a gas pump is an invatation to find super treasures!!! ive made alot of friends out huntin pumps & found tons of early V8 ford parts besides! the more they trust you the more stuff they show ya!!! i always tell em im goin right home to restore this & i tell em they need to stop over anytime & see it! give em your name & address. theyll trust ya.

#15107 Tue Jan 21 2003 10:53 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
were you from ? 2tone , coffee can over the pipe , what if the farmers grand daughter comes along and wants to play kick the can , and i just gave him my address , ha ha , I always look around its all about haven fun ,

#15108 Wed Jan 22 2003 06:29 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hey I have never been to Aberdeen, SD. But I'm glad to see I supposedly own another pump.If somebody will bring it to my house, I will be glad to put it in my harem and post it on my web site.

#15109 Wed Jan 22 2003 09:31 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
hey buck im from minnesota! ive capped pipes off before. but i dont always have a cap in my back pocket. HA! ive come up with some good caps though!!! & hell ya i give em my address. i gave one guy my card & he passed it on to his neighbor. & then the neighbor called me. that was where i ended up with that nice nice 492 roman! then that guy spread my name around to his farmer buddies during afternoon or whatever coffee downtown. and now im still workin on gettin this visible pump company all cast iron visible from his brother inlaw!!! besides i like when other pump hunters call me & say oh man, i stopped to buy this pump but the owner showed me your card. you were already there. how'd you ever find that? haaaaaa.

#15110 Wed Jan 22 2003 10:07 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
good answer Tom , I do the same thing , but that farmer uselly don't know what day it is untill ma ma tells him to pull the head off the chicken , then he knows its sunday , ha , thats the way it was on the dairy, have a good one Tom ,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved