Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Dick Bennett #151212 Sun Sep 06 2009 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I will have to disagree with Gulfiend on the faces. It's way too much of a coincidence that we now know of 3 of these Bennetts that had Erie faces. The farmer wouldn't have cared if it even had faces and neither would the jobber. Joe, it is a veeder root like you pictued once I got a closer look with the faces off. There's no way we'll ever know for sure but I like Dick's first theory better than any so far.

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
57-Chevy #151219 Sun Sep 06 2009 07:51 PM
G
G
I have an access door if you are still interested. Not sure what to ask for it ?

gulfstuff #151221 Sun Sep 06 2009 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
gulfstuff, Interested in it, PM sent

Mike

57-Chevy #151229 Sun Sep 06 2009 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...DB - rare exceptions notwithstanding, most people would want a dial face on their pump...jobbers had perfectly good faces left over from reimaging...they used them on pumps that did not...

...during the late 1950's reimaging, the stainless corners were removed on most GOC pumps, and the stepped tops were replaced with stainless domes...like the pump Phil has...some pumps (like Mike's) could not be reimaged as such, because the stainless corners hold the sides on...those pumps would have been sold to farmers (non-retail locations) after said reimaging...

...Mike - I'm sure it's more comforting to believe that you have an all original pump...if the faces were generic faces, with no pump company name, your theory would hold water...

...your logic says - three Bennett GOC pumps were found with Erie faces, you think that's too much for coincidence - therefore, they came from the factory like that...

...hmmmm...lots of pumps like yours are found without the little access doors with the Gulf logo...using your logic, one can assume they left the factory that way...why assume that one got lost along the way - even though that's more likely?

...if I have this right, in your scenario, the Bennett Pump Company says, 'gosh darn it, we're out of pump faces..what will we do?...I know - instead of calling the porcelain enamel or aluminum stamping company we do tons of business with, and putting in a rush order - we'll call our competitor and ask them if they want to help us out in our moment of need...and - I know - we'll repay the favor by not covering their company name on the dial face with a sticker or something...

...honestly, guys - what sounds more plausible?

(a) jobber uses parts at hand to complete a boneyard pump for "non-retail location" use, or

(b) Bennett puts Erie faces on their pumps

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #151237 Mon Sep 07 2009 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It must have been a common practice, I bought my few pumps in Maine, Vermont, and Mass., and the pumps are found down South the same way ??? Too much a coincidence they ALL seem to have Erie Faces, just Curious, Has anyone seen one with a Bennett face.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #151284 Mon Sep 07 2009 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GULF OF ATLANTA,
HAD a big shop here at one time and they refurbished tons of pumps to be replaced into service...the original pumps had NON BRANDED aluminum faces, and we all know they don't hold up in the sun too well.

I never recall seeing any other KIND of METERS than ERIE in the cabinets whether it was National, Tok, Bennett,etc. They might have only used Erie meters due to the fact they were smaller and more compact in order to fit that cabinet and also have different ports to use on the back & bottom. The different ports could be used w/ different pump co. pumping units.
It could be that ERIE supplied the meters and wanted their name on the faces as part of the deal, when the pumps were remanufactured. Erie may have supplied the faces as long as Gulf bought NEW METERS, who knows. If that was the case why NOT put your name on it.
Show me a picture of the METER that came from that pump and it may shed more light on the mystery...OR some original drawings of the guts for all the different manufacturers of the pumps. I can't say the National I had came with an Erie meter, but I am positive it did NOT have a National Meter in it. An A-38 is the only pump I have seen a National meter in.
If at first they had Pittsburg meters in them, the Erie meter would have been the ONLY meter that would have interchanged with zero modification.

Lance..POGOGAS has a book where it shows drawings and measurements of clock pumps ( the one I saw was an American, and dated 1934) that were retro fitted w/ PITTSBURG meters ( A POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT TYPE METER )to replace the old flow meters. ERIE & PITTSBURG had some sort of connection at one time.
It could be that Erie bought Pittsburg to get the designs of THAT METER, because I have heard the oldtimers refer to them as PITTSBURG ERIE METERS....maybe Jack or someone may be able to shead more light on that one.???

Now.... if you have a pump like that w/ aluminum faces it is probably still original.
if it has porcelain faces on it , most likely it has been remanufactured.
If Gulf used ONLY ERIE meters in THAT cabinet....why wouldn't ALL the porcelain faces say ERIE ???????
I beleive the answer is in the guts, and whatever deal Gulf and Erie had with each other.
Afterall it is ERIE METER SYSTEMS as their logo/slogon....and why not try to get your name on someone elses pump? When the customer looks at the total, they see ERIE, not the ID tag on the side of the cabinet. Smart move for ERIE if that is the case.

Come to think of it, I had only one that had the Erie faces too, but it was tagged Erie.
All the others I had were aluminum faces, and were other manufacturers.

Gilbarco faces say calco meter on the face.....that is in reference to the METER, NOT the Computer.
METERS measure,
COMPUTERS calculate.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #151291 Mon Sep 07 2009 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Joe, I will take a pic. of them. I do know that they had Pittsburg casted into both units.

Mike

57-Chevy #151295 Mon Sep 07 2009 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's the guts Joe. 2 units say Pittsburg and the bottom pump has Service Station Equipment Co. on it.

57-Chevy #151296 Mon Sep 07 2009 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the METER has Pittsburg, Pittsburg Erie, or Erie on the dome that should be why ERIE is on the face instead of Bennett
It may just be that Bennett or Service Station Supply Co.
only made the cabinet.
I can also say that the Tokheim clock like that I had, did NOT have a Tokheim METER in it.
When I started working on pumps we were still rebuilding ERIE, Bowser meters. I can identify most of the meters from 193? up to 199?

I think what this site could use is a database of good quality pictures of the COMPLETE insides of the cabinets(both front and back) BEFORE they are gutted and BEFORE it is too late to do so. We have Jack's book for the outsides.
Make it a user built database that users can use/copy for free.
No one has access to all pumps and it would take a combined effort to do so.
No one person knows everything there is to know and there are a lot of mystery questions.
Maybe something like that would help folks without having to go through a lot of speculation.
It may help to see how your pump is supposed to go back together...etc.
Afterall a pic is worth a thousand words.
Leave some room for hints, on restoring, comments etc. for each pump listed. The pics would need to be in front of a solid background to keep visual info from getting scrambled into a collection like Jack says.
Plus it would be some MAJOR eye candy for most folks.
See it as being each ones contribution to the preservation of INFORMATION in the hobby.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #151297 Mon Sep 07 2009 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mystery solved.....
Bennett pumping unit,cabinet.... ERIE (pittsburg)meter & air eliminator.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #151304 Mon Sep 07 2009 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good job Joe, sounds good to me

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #151306 Mon Sep 07 2009 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

"HYBRID PUMP"
Should sum it up.
I am sure that those GOC pumps are not the only ones like that.
I had a FRY pump once that Bob Bardwell saw and told me had Rush parts in it.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved