Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#155383 - Fri Oct 09 2009 09:09 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: gulfiend!]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
"..Tee Tee...or Dick...this Hoosier Pete can is of 'normal' height, because it was a flat cut to size by the can company, just never originally made into a can, right?..."

Correct.

"..if you reconstructed a can that had originally been a can, but was cut and flattened to patch the roof, or whatever - that reconstructed can would be a little shorter than normal, because of the metal 'lost' when lidding the can, correct?...or am I mistaken..."

After the center of lids are removed & seam is cut, IF the RIM of lids is removed, then can flat will be shorter top/bottom.
In that case, I would/will attach the FLAT to a donor/new can.
An Un-rolled qt flat should meas. 5 11/16" x 12 9/16-5/8"
db

I'm all ways looking for OLD N.O.S. lids [stamped or plain], 1qt, 1gal & 5qt size. Appreciate being notified of any seen.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#155386 - Fri Oct 09 2009 09:20 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Dick Bennett]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...good answer...

...now - if the can to be relidded had the rim, but the lid was cut out, could the can be relidded without loss in height?...or would the part of the can that's crimped into the cut out rim be unusable?...

...does that make sense? confused

#155389 - Fri Oct 09 2009 09:32 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: gulfiend!]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

When I re-lid a can, I remove the RIM of old lid carefully, remove dents best I can, then attach the new lid[s] like originally installed.
I will fill a can with new oil IF that's what the owner of can wants. Even the original filler of the can Couldn't guarantee against some leakage [does ANYONE remember buying a 24 can case that wasn't oil soaked/stained ?].

#155408 - Fri Oct 09 2009 10:58 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Dick Bennett]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

4 qts Received [showing both sides]

4 qts Returned
These were a challenge ! NOT LOL

#155411 - Fri Oct 09 2009 11:20 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Dick Bennett]
oldgoaly Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: So. Illinois
Dick, that is impressive, do you have a "hammer form" to help reshape the cans? do you use leather or cloth covered tools to save the paint? Thank for sharing! metalwork it fun! tt

#155418 - Sat Oct 10 2009 12:38 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: oldgoaly]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks.
NO.
Any type of covering would hide any ink/paint in the area that was being worked in the process of removing dents.

Alum. qts are usually a Bit*h, being a softer metal it will stretch [some] when the dents are made & will not shrink back when dents are removed.

Real hard to remove the RIM on Composite qts w/o losing some of the ink/paint.

I do not touch up or repaint any area that is missing ink/paint.
db

#155420 - Sat Oct 10 2009 12:48 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Dick Bennett]
Donnie Boger Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Modesto, Ca
wow Dick, very impressive

#155421 - Sat Oct 10 2009 12:50 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Donnie Boger]
huskybob Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Near Tracy Rock
Hey Dick..... why don't you start your own how-to thread to show us how you do things.

#155548 - Sat Oct 10 2009 08:42 PM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: huskybob]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...very informative thread...

...I have (at least) one more question...has anyone perfected a way to get dents out without removing the lid?...I'm not talking about those former basket cases that DB masterfully resurrected, I'm talking your basic %$#@ dent that you just can't pop out by putting your thumbs on either side of and pressing...

...I've tried the 'screwdriver' method, it's not practical unless you've got a churchkey opening right over the dent...and I've tried 'air pressure' (putting a cloth over the churchkey hole and exhaling into it as hard as I could...

...just curious - I've got a few cans that have some annoying dents, but are too nice (IMO) to resort to replacing an original lid (and some are full)...I got'em figuring that there had to be a way...?

#587838 - Mon Dec 22 2014 08:48 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: gulfiend!]
Huskerscott Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Are new lids available or just working off old stock?

#655394 - Wed May 11 2016 12:30 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: TeeTee]
Jayhawkfan Offline

Loc: Lecompton, Ks.
Hi,
I saw your photo essay on the Hoosier Pete can and wondered if you work on dented cans as well? I picked up one recently that I would like to have the dents removed from it. I can send you some pictures of it to get an idea of what work would be required. I would be curious what you would charge to repair it.
Thanks,
Tom Allen

#655417 - Wed May 11 2016 10:36 AM Re: The Jarvis Hoosier Pete can...from "Flat to Phat" [Re: Jayhawkfan]
Chevrolet SS Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: DeKalb, IL

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved