Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have always wondered what pumps sell the best. Does a tall 39 in Shell or Texaco sell better than Indian Gas or Johnson?

Lets here some thoughts on what people buy.

Let's not consider rare pumps let's just use Tokheim 39 or M&S 80 or Bennett 766 or 966 or Bowser... you get the picture.

So question is this... what pumps sell the best and what brand sells the best?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It depends on where you are. some oil co.s were only in certain states.
Some areas have certain pumps that are more common... there are barely any wayne, 60, 80's around here, mostly Tokheim & Bennett.
I have dug up tons of Fry pumps, they ruled around here as far as visibles go.
Texaco & siclair & gulf, no signal, gilmore , ect.
It is what people remember that will sell the best in your local area.
For spec sale National brands do best, Shell, Texaco, Sinclair,etc.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
John, around my house it is Gulf, Sinclair, Texaco and Shell that sell the best. All of these were around the home place, maybe that is why???

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heres my take on this subject , I would have to say Mobil, White Eagle , Shell, Texaco, Phillips 66, and Richfield of California , not NY. Oh not nessesarily in that order but you can see in old Hemmings what was hot . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have found that the short pumps seem to move faster then the tall ones because they fit nicely in a home. The museums tend to purchase the visi pumps more then anything else, and the guys who own stations that they are restoring seem to purchase the tall electric pumps more often. The brands are always the brands they order – most often it is Texaco, Mobil Gas, or Sinclair for me.

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would agree with Phil. I know me & him talked about this a while back. That is what seems to move around here too.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jarvis, you didn't specify which market you are asking about. Are you asking about the collectors or about beginners? They are very different markets.

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well i was talking about beginners or guys just wanting a pump. I know collectors are totally different and opens up a whole new topic. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've done a few pumps and hands down, the most popular is Texaco. Firechief by far outsells any other brand. If I am set up at a show and have more than one red Texaco pump......I usually sell them. I agree that the shorts are the ones buyers are after. Years ago a friend used a term that has always stuck.....he said" paint it retail red and it will sell" He has been right so far. Paul

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
around here i'd have to say texaco,dino sinclair and mobil.agree that most first time buyers are looking for something that they remember.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Jarvis,that clears it up. I work out of a showroom that displays several coordinated brand displays including restored pumps, signs, cans, globes and more. I work with beginners all the time. With a little explanation of history and pointing out what all is available to collect within a brand it's Tokheim in Texaco and MS80 in Mobil hands down. Lots of stuff in those brands to collect and build a display around for a beginner without spending a ton; they can get to Shell as they progress. Just my experience; they won't stop with just a pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most of the pumps I restored were for John Q Public to buy.
I always did them in a familiar brand...Shell, Pure, Sinclair.
Almost All the pumps I did went back to the same brand as what co. was using that manufacturer of pump...
Texaco used a lot of Waynes around here, Sinclair was Bennett,
Gulf used Tokheims.

If you use an oil co name on a pump that the co. never used, are you not starting the novice collector in the wrong directon from the start?

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Car guys...TEXACO hands down....
the big three Texaco, sinclair(dino), Mobil...
Talking to dealers at swap meets like Pate, If you brought 5 pumps...3 in texaco, one in mobil and one in the dino sinclair..
I brought two restored pumps to Pate this last April, one each in texaco and mobil and both sold quick!!
.....red sells when it comes to cars or pumps to the car guys.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi jkyocom. Since I'm new to the forum, I really don't want to start an argument. Rather, I'll just quote Texaco Collectors Guide by Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson:

"Texaco marketers used every type of pump imaginable, but often specified Tokheim where possible".

The books may be wrong, but an awfully lot of people read them when starting out. That's why I always do Texaco with a Tokheim. Just my way of doing it;nothing more.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
In central Illinois as I have seen,it appears that Texaco, then Phillips and Mobil are the popular brands.As for mfg. a lot of Wayne 70s show up for sale then a lot of Tokheim 39s .Shell had a lot of Gilbarcos in use but I don't see many restored or sold now.

Norm Huff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved