Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Next we go back to the anvil to tighten up that seam. I use a hammer and a hardwood block and gently tap down on the seam a little at a time. After each hit with the hammer I pull on the seam to keep the each end of the hem tight to the opposite hem. These next three pictures show the progression of the seam and the fourth one here shows the completed seam.

13seam1.JPG 14seam2.JPG 15seam3.JPG 16seam4.JPG

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Notice that most of the distortion in the shape of the can is gone...when the top and bottom are installed that will take care of the rest.

The next step is to stamp the top lid with an SAE designation. This can will have the 20-20W stamp. For this process the arbor press along with a set of original dies is used. The lid is centered on top of the male die with the top of the lid facing up. The female die is then placed on top of the lid...this is done carefully with the aid of alignment marks to make sure that the two dies line up correctly for the stamping. The arbor press is used to put some pressure on the dies and then the top of the press is given a good strike with the hammer. The next several photos show this process.

21stamp1.JPG 22stamp2.JPG 23top and bottom.JPG

T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Tomorrow I will show how the top and bottom of the can is flared and lids installed to complete the can.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is very interesting. Somehow I expected something more complex in the seam itself.

That's also interesting about the Hoosier Pete can and known examples having only been from flats.
Is it a certainty that this brand was actually marketed using this label?

........Dave
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Is this tech week? Way cool! I come across flats all the time but have been at a loss to find a way to seam them together.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn , I could learn some great sheet metal tips from you ! Thanks for sharing the information with us - really ! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TeeTee--To get the finished look along the seam, did you use the wood block placed along the edge of the seam or how did you do that? I expected a flat folded seam but yours actually folds over the other seam and sort of "locks" itself in place, just like a factory seam would be. I was wondering if you needed a special tool for that or was the wood block enough? Thanks---KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Dave...when I first started thinking about rolling cans, I also thought that it would be much more complicated. Often times we tend to over think things.

Kevin...Just used the wood block. After a few cans it gets a small groove indented in it and gives the nice looking seam.

T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
The next step in the process is to flare the top and bottom of the can to get it ready to accept the lids. This is done on the can sealer with the flaring attachment and roller. The next four shots show this process.

19topflare1.JPG 20topflare2.JPG 17bottomflare1.JPG 18bottomflare2.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What kind of price would one be looking at to have a "flat" made into a round can? I have my "Red Indian Aviation can" that I have been thinking would look good "round", again.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
As you can now see the distortion is gone and the can is round. The final step is to install the top and bottom lids of the can. The first step is to put the lidding attachment and rollers on the can sealer. In this case the bottom was put on first and then the top. Be sure to put the stamped lid on the top and the blank lid on the bottom...I have done it the other way around a few times!! The next three shots show the process.

24bottominstall1.JPG 25bottominstall2.JPG 26topinstall1.JPG

T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
And...drum roll please...here is the completed can.

Total time was about a half hour including taking of the pictures. Without pictures it takes about 15 minutes from start to finish....assuming that I have some lids stamped and ready to go.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. If you run across any flats the key measurements for them to be usable are approximately 12 5/8 long by 5 11/16 tall...give or take a little.

27completed can.JPG

T
TeeTee Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
I don't have John's address handy...anybody want to buy the rights to have their name and address put on the box??? lol

28package.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i'll give you five for the rights!!LOLdid you make sure you packed that REALLY well?

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow is that great TeeTee. Super work. Being from IN as well, I love the can. Thanks for the tutorial!

Ryan

WANTED: Lonzo Oil, Pacer, Super Par Items
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved