Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I tried buying the Gulf neon letters on top of the garage in Holyoke around a decade ago. The owner was second or third or fourth generation, and had no interest in my modest offer. Just as now, I had little disposable income for petro stuff. Inside he had old photos of the station hung on the wall, the shots looked like 1930's vintage if I remember correctly. I'm glad the letters are still there, it is like looking back in time when I drive by. We are all out there aggressively looking for the stuff, in a way we are killing the next generations chances of seeing the stuff in it's original setting.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SPEAKING OF A GULF NEON SIGN, I SPOTTED THIS STATION IN READINGTON, N.J. OFF I-78 WHEN WE STOPPED FOR DINNER RETURNING FROM CARLISLE. WE ALSO GASSED UP AT A VERY CHEAP $2.26/GALLON GAS.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
gasmelincelr,

You make a good point. That's the reason I try to take pictures of all of the cool stations I run across - because a year later, they might not look the same (or exist). It's the best way that we can preserve some of what's out there for future generations - as long as our hard drives don't crash.

It is true that if I go and buy something from a station, it will not be there for others to enjoy. However, in a some cases, we're preventing these items from ending up in the dump or scrapyard. There are definitely two ways to look at it. Either way, this stuff won't be around in its native setting for too much longer, and that really is a shame.

Take care,
Wes

Saw this on Saturday in Clifton, VA. The building is now a general store/gift shop type of place.

Last edited by halehouse; Mon Oct 12 2009 06:45 PM.

Same building from the side.

Last edited by halehouse; Mon Oct 12 2009 06:47 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here's a cool old Skelly station on the "Square" in Independence MO. It still has the porcelain signs above the bay doors and the blue tiled roof. Picture quality is poor because I took it with my cell phone...it's all I had.

-Matt
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
I am pretty sure the building is for sale!

Mike Hudson
303-916-3907
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Now a car lot. Love the shape! Found in Gliroy, Ca

DSCN1412.JPG

Mike
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Shot with KODAK Z712 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-10-20

As I remember it says " Pure Oil Co." in contrasting brick under the sign of the present business located in Lansing, MI.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well today i went up to kenosha wi. on an estamite.its only 20 minutes away.so since i was there i went to meet the guy who made the mobil sign with the two horses i posted last week. heres his sign shop
it was kinda cloudy,but in between the two lights on the right you can still see where the texaco letters were,but not in the picture.the owner was a real nice guy and has a nice small collection in the building. on the way home i saw this one
for those of you that dont know,kenosha is the home of the now defunct American Motors.gonna have to go and cruise around cause i bet there are lots of pics to be taken..mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pacer yourself mick. smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i'm not worthy!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
While stopped at a red light in Effingham, Illinois I saw this place. Pic taken at dusk. tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mick, forget about "crappy" AMC, find some Nash Company photos.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Shot with KODAK Z712 IS ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-10-27

A former Shell in Kalamazoo MI

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved