Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#156806 Thu Oct 22 2009 05:32 PM
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
As most of you know I have been rebuilding the "crankback" computers
almost 1/2 my life. I have seen several different styles of crankback computers over this 22 yr time period. It has only been in the last few years that I have been taking pictures and posting some of my work.

My son is almost 18 and has absolutley no interest in computers even though he has seen them and been around stuff like that since he was a baby.

I thought it would be a waste if everthing I have learned about these monsters left when I do, so I decided to start documenting everything I know about them.
It started with a repair type book and got so complicated I have decided to cut it into two halves , one for I.D. and one for repair.

After almost a year, I think I have finally compiled pictures of all the crankback computers
that VEEDER ROOT made between 1932 and 1955...about 17+ different configurations and I have made every effort to determine what year & pump they would have been INTRODUCED in.

I plan on compiling it on a CD or DVD and publishing it myself to keep production and final costs down. That way if you want paper copies you can print them out and delete text if you wish.

My question to all of you is......
Does anyone else give a *****? and would you buy one?
I hope to keep it at about $20.00 including shipping.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...sent you a PM...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Joe:
I think that is a really good idea and I'd be interested in one....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe , please put me in for a copy . Might never get to do a real pump as my health aint what it was a few years back . Still, I want to preserve what I can of an industry that seems to think I'm from a distant place . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Count me in Joe.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe, I too could see myself purchasing one to add to my library.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Put it in print.
Something else will come along & replace the CD/DVD in a few years.

C
C
I'm in Joe.

Chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joe, I want one also. I think every pump guy that restores his own pumps would want one.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
P
P
Hi Joe, That is a great idea, count me in. my computer works great, thanks

Mike and Debbie
Utah
Count me in as well!

Frank
1956 Chevrolet 210 Delray Sedan
1963 VW Type 1 with 1600cc; slammed
1965 IHC with SBC and Turbo 350
19?? Tokheim 300
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Joe,
I thought the hobby was ready for an Air Meter book. Since my gas pump publisher declined on printing the book, against better judgement I decided to go to a printer and have them printed. I had 2000 of them printed, and at $30.00 per copy I would break even at between 600 and 700 copies sold. It has now been over year since it was published, and with even dropping the price to $20.00 a copy I have sold less than 400 books. I have over $10,000 tired up in a great big pallet filled with 1600 books. Right now, I don't believe this hobby, or at least all the guys on Old Gas will buy enough of your CDs to buy your wife a good dinner. I know what Gulfiend PMed you about, and if I had to do over with, I would go with his suggestion.
Guys in this hobby don't want to buy books, manuals, etc. they want to come on this site and get the information free, including computer info.
Just my opinion,

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Putting it on paper won't keep it from being scanned and pirated.
I used to go to the library and copy pages from auto repair manuals instead of buying one.
As far as the I.D. part being about only 20 pgs of pics and 20 of text would make it even easier to do so.
I can say I would enjoy some extra income from this,
but I did this so the information will be available, instead of being all lost someday.
I also don't think there will be that much of a demand for this thing for someone to go as far as trying to copy it for retail, afterall there are what, 10,000 embers and only a few have chimed in. I am sure that copies of certain pages will get sent here and there , just like pages from Jack's book get scanned and sent over the net.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim

Guys in this hobby don't want to buy books, manuals, etc. they want to come on this site and get the information free, including computer info.
Just my opinion,

Jack Sim

Knife cuts both ways there Jack. This site has been a huge support for you. Guys on this site continuously promote your book and.....to my knowledge you've never had to spend a penny to promote it here. Gotta believe most of your book sales have come from guys on both stations. Then you want to trash the same site and membership that's done nothing but support your endeavor??? Wow.

Joe, I say go for it, you can count me in to buy one if you make one.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack, doesn't need any help explaining himself or defending himself and I don't have the knowledge to do so. That being said, when I read what Jack wrote I didn't perceive that Jack was "trashing" anyone or anything. I got from his post his willingness to share his experience. Jack has reached out to countless numbers of members here, I know because I have been one of them. He volunteered to help me and asked nothing in return. He has on more than one occassion shared his knowledge with all here, again asking nothing in return. But that's just my opinion.

Joe, I hope that you would get the "sales" necessary to recoup your time and monies spent.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved