Print Thread
#157410 Mon Oct 26 2009 10:04 PM
B
badgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B

I found these in a crate sitting on a curb in front of an abandonded gas station. I'd like to clean them thoroughly and make them look (almost) brand new.

What cleaning product do you use and what is the best way to remove grease and oil?

Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
badgas #157411 Mon Oct 26 2009 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use simple green and GOOP orange on items where I don't have to worry about paint removal. I went to the dollar store and picked up a battery powered toothbrush. Works great to gently work loose dirt and oil. But nothing works better(for me) than taking some GOOP in my fingers and rubbing the item. Make sure the item is dry to begin with. After loosing up the oil, grease... etc, then use a little bit of water to remove the debris. Or at least that's how I do it, LOL.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
To remove the oil & dirt you can shoot it with a degreaser & let it sit a while to soak in. Then hose it off. A pressure washer would work better but dont hold it to close to the painted oilers so you dont remove any of the paint. Then you can work them over as Bob said to get anything left smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SPRAY 'EM WITH WD40 AND LET THEM SIT FOR A HALF HOUR, WIPE THEM OFF WITH A DRY RAG/TOWEL.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
V
V
Walmart sells a product called Purple Power that is the best cleaner/degreaser I've ever used. Cheap and effective. About $5 a gallon or $11 for 21/2 gallons. It'll take paint off if left on too long (skin too). Wear gloves if you're doing very much with it. I put it in a spray bottle, squirt it on, let it sit a little bit, brush if needed, and spray it off with a hose. Works great.

......Rick

v8vic #157485 Tue Oct 27 2009 04:22 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Plain old undiluted Dawn dish washing liquid is mild on painted items and not harsh or dangerous to you. It may take a little longer but it's cheap enough and safe for you and the oilers.

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved