Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#157716 Thu Oct 29 2009 03:15 PM
K
Kyle Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I'm in contact with someone who has a "Gas light" for sale. I called to see exactly what exactly they have, and it sounds like a globe. She said it was round and that it went on top of a old gas pump, so I'm thinking it has to be a globe.She is suppose to be sending me pictures in a day or so. She said it had a metal band around it, and it's white with orange letters. I've tried looking to see if there is anything like that, but I can't seem to find any globe that's white with orange letters in metal . I'm anxiously waiting for the pictures to get here to see what it really looks like. She didn't have it in front of her when she was describing it, so maybe she had things backwards. I don't know squat about globes, but if it's original, I would like to add it to my large collection of 1 globe. smile Any ideas on this?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Kyle #157726 Thu Oct 29 2009 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...yeah, I got an idea...if it's a metal body Gulf globe, you need to send it to me... laugh

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #157758 Thu Oct 29 2009 07:30 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The Gulf globes had a orange field then the letters where blue. Maybe this is what she was trying to describe.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #157765 Thu Oct 29 2009 08:15 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Did Gulf ever make 15 or 16 inch Globe Lenses? If so I've never seen one and the one piece Gulf globes had Black letters,12 inch blue letters and wouldnt fit in any Metal Globe body.

drgaspump #157775 Thu Oct 29 2009 10:32 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Kyle,
You have a lot to learn about this hobby. If a globe is offered to you, you need to be able to open a book and look up that globe. If you don't have the book, by the time you get a picture of it, post it on this website for free information, the globe might be gone. It could be a globe worth $1000s and you didn't know anything about it, because you didn't buy the globe book. Knowledge is the most important thing in this hobby, and it has to be assesable. No I didn't write the globe book, I wrote the gas pump book, and the same thing applies.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #157783 Fri Oct 30 2009 04:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kyle,
Jack has a good point with the globe books. They have tons of info there other than pics of a globe. Tells some history about that company, price which you can't not use any more but can get close. Books are great for reference and reference only. I think the oil can book i got from Jim Potts (OLDGAS.COM owner) at Peotone is also a great book.

At the top of the page you can click on bookstore and buy any books you think you might need and it helps keep the lights on (servers) here on oldgas. LOL

Send me a pic of the globe if you get it. I would love to see it and can look it up in the globe book for you if you don't already have them.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #157814 Fri Oct 30 2009 07:11 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hey Kyle. I saw that listing yesterday too for that. Hope it's original and you get it!!

Brian

Kyle #157817 Fri Oct 30 2009 08:04 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Kyle,

I go along with Jack and Jarvis. Books, and a lot of them, are invalueable sources of information. When I was a newbie it cost me a LOT of money going both ways before I found out about what things are worth. Also, if you don't already subscribe to PCM you might consider doing so. The information in there is more current than some of the price guides. Just my costly experience.

Old Iron #157873 Fri Oct 30 2009 01:03 PM
K
Kyle Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will check into buying the globe books. I hadn't seen them before, but I will check into them. Also, I do get PCM. I just never really paid much attention to the globes because they were always so pricy. But if I can find good deals on them then I might get into them as well as the pumps. That's what I have been collecting for the last 4 or 5 years. The deal with this globe (if that's what it is) is that the person is an hour away and they're internet is down so it's going to take a day or two to get me pictures of it. The womans discription didn't help much. So hopefully it will still be there when she gets me pictures. I was hoping she could give me better details on it so I could at least get a better idea of what it is exactly. Brian, I hope it's an original too. If so I might get my first BIG find. I'll let you all know what happens as soon as I find something out.

Kyle #157874 Fri Oct 30 2009 01:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kyle, check the bookstore here on this site. I believe you will find a number of the books you might want to have in your library.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #157894 Fri Oct 30 2009 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it is only an hour away I would be driving over to look at it ASAP. May be well worth your trip and your not out much if it does not pan out. Then you know.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
keithia #157909 Fri Oct 30 2009 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No doubt in my mind that it is long gone if it was posted for all to see, If it was an hour from me, I would have been at her house an hour after I saw the ad. It is the ONLY way to get valuable items advertised to the general public. There are Tons of guys always looking for the same stuff. Good Luck anyways

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #157912 Fri Oct 30 2009 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...you never know - go check on it as soon as you can, and take your camera...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #157928 Fri Oct 30 2009 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ask her what it's made of. There were some plastic Gulf globes that were made of two halves held together by a gold anodized aluminum band, similar to a co-op globe. They were smaller than normal, and I doubt they ever went on a pump. I was told they were made for Gulf, but I suspect they were giveaways or awards. Gulfiend, have you seen those?

If the lenses are glass, you'd better get over there quickly.

Wes

thermactor #157933 Fri Oct 30 2009 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...yes - they were table lamps, all plastic (or so I thought)...maybe some kind of sales perk?...I've heard different dates for them but I think they're from the early 1980's...don't have one, but will probably pick up a cheapy if I stumble onto one...they're around, but the plastic they're made of had a tendency to turn yellow...

...and regarding the globe in question, I would just tell the person 'I'm going to be in the area and would like to check out the gas light in person if possible'...and take some cash...money talks, but speak softly at first...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved