Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#158509 Tue Nov 03 2009 02:50 PM
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
What is the general opinion of members as to the durability (longevity) of paint for an outside pump? Base coat, clear coat, single stage or?

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Everything fades.
PORCELAIN even fades after time.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Only put pumps outside with great paint if you don't mind fading. I used a good base coat clear coat on my two in red and white and they don't show any fade after 4 years in hot summer sun. When they fade they just look older and I don't care.If you live in PNW they last a lot longer. All my other outside pumps are all natural rust and paint. They don't seem to fade. LOL Ted

Ted Pam Ethyl & Polly Roach
Lodi CA.
209-210-8971
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield
K
K
Clear coat will hold up better than single stage every time. I do body work for a living, so I'm around paint a lot, and have used both myself. I can tell you that a single stage doesn't have the protection that a clear will provide, thus the fading. If you use a good clear coat, you shouldn't have any fading problems for many years. Maybe once or twice use a good wax, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just like Kyle said...The paints now days are more durable than the acrylic enamels and lacquers of years past. A good base coat clear coat job should last for several years. I painted my 65 mustang back in 1986 with Ditzler Deltron radiance II b/c c/c, still shines like new money today..except for a few rust spots haha.

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
But does it sit outside every day? Bet it's garaged/covered when not being driven.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
But does it sit outside every day? Bet it's garaged/covered when not being driven.

Sir, you are correct about it being garaged, but it was my daily driver for 6yrs after it was painted.

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Washed/wax on a regular bases ? Driven in foul weather ?
Putting a painted pump outdoors, it will get washed when it rains & maybe waxed once a year.

Online Cool
The newer urethane clears have an ultraviolet ray blocker that protects the pigmented color underneath it. Single stage colors don't have that layer to block UV rays which break down the pigmented colors. So I recommend clearcoat for lasting longer.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved