Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#159027 - Sat Nov 07 2009 11:06 PM Goodyear Tire on Globe sign
phibes Offline

Loc: ky
Hi all. Looks like a great group. I found the forum searching for information on porcelain sign restoration, and ran across a discussion about how a restored piece might deter collectors wary of how well the restoration was done.

I have a 2-sided Goodyear sign (pics attached). I was wondering what it is worth unrestored vs restored, and what I should expect to pay for restoration if I go that route.

Should I have this piece restored or not? Any opinions appreciated.

Attachments
1b.jpg

2b.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#159029 - Sat Nov 07 2009 11:20 PM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: phibes]
itsagas Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Four Corners
Welcome...Great sign. Personally, If it were mine I would re-bend the flange and just do some touch up. As far as value it is a good sign and there are some very good sign experts here that can answer that for you.

#159045 - Sun Nov 08 2009 05:23 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: itsagas]
roadrelics Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota ...USA
welcome phibes.....In my opionion your sign is worth $200--$300 as it sits and $500- $1000 restored...Restoration would run approx. $750- $1250....as you can see it does not really pay to do it , unless you want to keep it & need it to appear as mint.....

www.roadrelics.com

#159052 - Sun Nov 08 2009 08:12 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: roadrelics]
coheley5 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Georgia
I am kind of hard nose about not restoring signs,A sign can only be orgional one time if you restore it you can not go back.Take care of it and in the long run it has to be worth more. Let the next guy spend the money to restore.

#159058 - Sun Nov 08 2009 08:47 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: coheley5]
phibes Offline

Thanks for the kind welcome.

Interesting information, as well as ideas. I'm a bit disappointed about the value, I love the graphics and thought they would contribute to the value and push it up there a bit higher in general desirability. But evidently a restoration would be unwise financially, as well as aesthetically.

Roadrelics, are you talking about a restoration that would refire the missing porcelain and make the sign as-new? Or something that would just re-level the surface and match color in the missing areas? I ask because the latter is within my ability (I'm a designer and artist) so maybe a DIY job is in order here. Perhaps I could make the color-matching fill-in temporary so the piece could still be considered original by later removing the touch-up work if desired.

#159065 - Sun Nov 08 2009 09:55 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: phibes]
Oldgas Offline

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk, phibes. The sign does have very cool graphics. If I owned it, I would rebend the flange and display it.

Restoration or extensive touch-ups as your sign may seem to "need" can turn off many collectors from buying. I have only bought one sign that I knew was restored. It was at a major petro swap meet. A close look showed the restoration, so I passed it by when I first saw it. On the last hour of the last day I looked again. The seller said, "If you're interested, make me an offer." So I told him about my reservations about restorations and offered half of his asking price. He accepted the deal and mentioned that he was losing money but wanted to sell.

#159068 - Sun Nov 08 2009 10:10 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: Oldgas]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
First welcome to Old Gas smile As for having the sign restored it is not worth it. If it where mine I would carefully rebend the flange & touch up some of the white on the flange. If you really want a nicer sign that looks like that one will come along. I had one exactly like that & it was dead mint. Had day one gloss & one small chip on one of the mounting hole on the flange. I sold it for $650 about a year & a half ago. Should of kept it but that how it goes smile

#159081 - Sun Nov 08 2009 10:45 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: gasoildude]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
To my knowledge, NO ONE is doing real porcelain repairs. It's all done w/ paint & most are re-painting the whole sign w/ clear over that.

#159083 - Sun Nov 08 2009 10:49 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: phibes]
Old Iron Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: New Mexico
Hi phibes, and welcome,

I go along with Jim. I would just rebend the flange and put it up. In some display situations it will work just fine as is;perhaps along with an unrestored pump? Collectability? I know several collectors who would prefer it the way it is; very few who would prefer it touched up. It's a matter of personal preference. IMO.

#159088 - Sun Nov 08 2009 11:03 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: Old Iron]
Rick Berrong Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: dallas, georgia USA
Hang it! Sign looks great the way it is! Take it from someone who restores their own signs (when needed), I wouldn't touch that one.

#159090 - Sun Nov 08 2009 11:21 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: Rick Berrong]
phibes Offline

Researching this does make me wonder about sign values in general. Just a quick search of recent completed auctions shows some signs that look pretty boring IMHO going for thousands. Most seem in very good shape, but it looks like tasty graphics aren't driving the market by any means.

So is rarity the hot button? Only thing I can think of to explain the wide range of prices.

#159093 - Sun Nov 08 2009 11:37 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: phibes]
Bob Richards Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
No matter what, rarity will always "drive the market", IMO. Doesn't matter if the item is a sign, globe, oiler... etc. If it is rare, design doesn't mean a thing, again my opinion.

#159095 - Sun Nov 08 2009 11:41 AM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: phibes]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Popularity has more to do with value than rarity & CONDITION above all else.

#159117 - Sun Nov 08 2009 02:47 PM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: Dick Bennett]
roadrelics Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota ...USA
Phibes.......the restores i know just fill in the chips, paint & clear coat, however they do a great job.....your sign would be worth much much more (close to $2000) if it was mint....tasty graphics in porcelain are in demand however, condition condition condition....

www.roadrelics.com

#159121 - Sun Nov 08 2009 03:08 PM Re: Goodyear Tire on Globe sign [Re: roadrelics]
oldgoaly Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: So. Illinois
I have a few Goodyear's of that vintage, but not like that one, they hang in my "one of these days I'll finish it" gas station / garage building unrestored. Fix it so hang mounts good to the wall and enjoy it! tt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved