Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
#158896 Fri Nov 06 2009 07:28 PM
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
I have an opportunity to purchase a Shell Kerosene "mint, nos" condition sign. Is there a way to tell an original from a repop? I know there are a lot of phoney ones out there
thanks for your help
Ray

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hello Ray, I hope your not getting it from Treasureray-
All mine (4) on the inside of the flange at the bottom reads American Artworks Coch. Ohio

RANDY
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
There was a couple PHONY ones showed up at the Auburn show!
The guy sold a kerosene flange then put out another the next morning! BEWARE! NONE of these were marked???
He was the same guy from Ohio selling the fake AIR signs and Fake chevy signs!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I sent Treasureray a note about his Sinclair license plate toppers and told him he should at least note that they are repo's in his auctions but got not reply. He keeps on selling them and people keep paying ridiculous prices for them. Guess if ya got a good thing going why ruin it huh? Theirs a sucker born every minute.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also sent treasureray a question about his pepsi string holder with the same response....when you get that kinda response- YOU DON'T BID

RANDY
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hey Ray,

So far, it does not sound as if your question has been answered sufficient enough to actually inform you as to whether your sign is a repop or not. You say there are a lot of phoney Shell Kerosene signs out there - says who - and if you know who maybe they could answer this thread and help us out with some identifying features? If there are a lot of phonies, are they different from each other? I can't say that I have seen any.

I take it that you had the sign in your hands or was the concern just brought forward so that you could have the information when the sign was delivered? If you had the sign in your hands, what was it that raised concern about the sign possibly being a reproduction? Was the sign being offered at a price to hard to believe? I do believe that some people do think that if a sign was offered way too cheap that it must be a repop. Maybe there are deals yet to be had.

We need to actually come up wth some concrete evidence that the sign is not authentic. Was the font incorrect, was the font size incorrect, were the flange mounting holes displaced, was the paint color off, was the metal thickness incorrect?

We all would like to have repop signs marked. So this sign is not marked - many signs are not marked and this does not mean they are repops. Does anyone have any original flange Shell signs with Gasolene or Motor Oil that are marked - I'd venture to say that they are not..

Just because a person has several signs to sell doesn't indicate they are repops. It wasn't too long ago, (and is still posible today) that we were able to get into gas station bulk facilities and find find boxes of globe lenses, a stack of the same sign, and obviously cans.

I have seen several of the Shell Kerosens signs and they appear authentic to me - but then again I'm not an expert. The patina on the signs would be extremely hard to duplicate let alone the appearance of erupted filiform corrosion. The paint color is dead on and indicative of the thickness that would have been applied many years ago. By the way, has anyone conducted a lead test to determine if the paint has lead?

I don't know Treasureray from Adam - I have not conducted any business with him whatsoever. Is it not possible that he did score multiples of this sign? I do understand that if he doesn't provide a response to your reply that you may want to form an opinion that the sign is a repop, but then again it does not actully prove that the sign is a repop.

Let us not make a judgement call until we have unquestionable evedence in hand. And if it was determined that these signs are repops the person selling them may also have been unaware that they are. Remember, we are to presume individuals as being innocent until proven guilty.

Let's find out about this sign and if it is a reproduction then let's get it listed as a known reproduction.

Thanks for reading,

Koolmotor George

George
George.Lee@midwayschools.com
701-520-9580
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I currently own a Shell Gasoline flange and have had the Motor oil and Kerosene versions in the past and all have been marked by American Art Works. Treasureray sells many reproduction signs and toppers IMO.

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know treasureray & he has been doing this kind of thing for many years...he has fooled many many people with his repops....

K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
So, American Art Works is the only company that made Shell flanged signs, American Art Works always marked their signs, and Treasureray sells many reproductions signs - therefore the Shell Kerosene signs must be reproductions. OK?! I would then say - if there is any uncertainty in your mind simply don't buy it. If you like the sign, and you don't care if it is a repop or not, and the price is right, - then by all means go ahead and buy it.

I really don't know and I'm not totally convinced for sure if they are real or not. I have one, looks real to me, I don't care if it turns out to be a repop, bought it at a great price, I like it, and until a definitive authority concludes without a doubt they are reproductions I can only conclude they are real.

Maybe it is time the hobby has a certification service just like the coin hobby. Then the gas collectibles could be authenticated,condition graded,and be marked in some type of nondetrimental way to identify the collectible as being certified.

Koolmotor

Last edited by Koolmotor; Sun Nov 08 2009 01:49 PM. Reason: certification comment

George
George.Lee@midwayschools.com
701-520-9580
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I dont want to rock the boat here but back when I worked for the other company I sold a whole stack of shell kerosene, gasoline & motor tin flange sign for a man who I know for sure cleaned out several bulk plants, he was a big shell collector. This would of been 2002 & 2003. I do not remember any of them being marked anything. But I could be wrong. I have not seen these new repop shell kerosene signs yet, but thanks for letting me know. Dan

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have not seen them in person but from what I have been told the shell repop signs have corners that are to square. Again just what I have heard.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen the repos in person & the metal maybe be different as the original seem more sturdy or it maybe the thickness of the metal, paint is very thin compared to the original...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Right now on Ebay there is one from treasureray #400084226676 and another from a different seller that says his is original #260502637575 Heck of a difference in price but you can compare the two.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I just looked thru TreasureRay's feedback and he has sold at least 7 in the last few months! Plus look at the buyers!!! Same picture in EVERY auction!
I also compared it to the aged original that is also on ebay and they are very similar...Hole placement is slightly different!
Once they make a repo this close to original it's BEST to avoid all together UNLESS you get one marked by maker...
Just my 2 cents...

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I just checked his past sales. He relists the same things every few weeks. He is a con man.

Mike
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved