Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#159746 Thu Nov 12 2009 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am Posting this Question along with Pictures for Roger Loupias.

Here is Roger Question.......

"A good friend gave this to me today and of course I know just a little about it. I looked in my Sim book and he has just one image of the Blackmer pump. He list it as a( Big Boy) 1927 but its not my model. I googled the maker and got no images only that Robert Blackmer was the creator of the first vane pump like this one back in the 1880's and is still making pumps today. Anyone with an idea of the circa would be appreciated and or some triva. I know the pump handle seems to move the impeller and you have to rotate the brass nozzle on top, a half turn to remove it from the Y fitting..................Thanks, Roger "

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
You have an example of the Blackmer Rotary pump. They started making them in 1903. These pumps were used to pump both gasoline and oils, even paint and varnish. They were also used to pump water from underground gas tanks.
I have a 1928 Blackmer catalog, and none of them have a meter on them, so I would say your pump was made after that date.
Without looking this up, I believe I remember that Blackmer also made pumps for visible pumps.
My catalog shows about 50 Rotary pumps, but only five of them are small, most are large commercial pumps.
One more thing, in 1931 Blackmer pumps were used by the U.S. Government at Wright Field and the Fairfield Depot, outside Dayton, to fuel all the 672 Army planes parked there.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #159787 Thu Nov 12 2009 11:21 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Thank you, I got a better idea now what I might have. I intend to restore this and my question now is , do these have any more value or demand as far as collectors go. How would you rate this item as far as desireable? Thanks for your thoughts. Roger

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Just my opinion from what I have seen there are few people that collect these styles of pumps. I like them personally since they are so simple & practical smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #159899 Fri Nov 13 2009 11:45 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't waste my money or time restoring this. There are too many much more desirable (as you asked) things out there that deserve being restored than this.

I have repeated this 100s of times.

Restore a Wayne 60, put it in front of your garage, a friend comes over and says "What a great looking gas pump."

Restore this Blackmer, put it in front of your garage, a friend comes over and says "What is that out in front of your garage?"

As Gasoildude says: "Just my opinion."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved