Next Thread
Print Thread
B
badgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
While in my daily travels around the San Francisco peninsula for my work, I stumbled upon what I believe is an oil pump pictured below. Not sure if it is complete or not. I couldn't find any markings on it. The shop owner might be interested in selling it, although he wasn't available at the time when I was at his body shop. I'll try him later. However, before I do, I'd like to know the circa of this pump, what kind/brand is it and any approximate value? I'd like to make him an offer. It's very heavy and still bolted down to the cement floor.

Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It is a Boyle Dayton Lubo 106 pump that was filled with different oils and used either on an gas pump Island or in the garage. Book dates this 1926. Also has a book value which is sometimes very high or in the ballpark of $8,000. I know it is a cat and mouse game when it comes to buying something that the owner doesn't know what it is worth. When offering a high price just gets sometimes an automatic turn down for then the person just starts thinking what is this really worth. My best results are say a prayer and ask what they may want or what they think the value is and be honest with your intentions. Tough call especially with an item with such value as this Sometimes giving more and having each party happy makes for more items and better relations in the furture.
Just a thought

Craig
B
badgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thank you for that info. Did you obtain the info from Jack's book? I didn't look in it, because I didn't hink that it would be there.

Besides missing a few of oil tags, is missing a cover that should go over the oil cylinder area?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The lower portion of that pump, should slide up to close it. The chains are attatched to counterweights to help it up. It looks like a torpedo when its closed.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That is a great find. Craig is correct on the info. You would fill oil bottles with it. Just ask him what he wants for it & go from there. Very nice smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I always say "How does $$$ sound?" Some how I justify it in my brain that both ends of the deal are happy, even though I'm probably happier.

V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
What a find! That is one really cool piece. does anyone have a pic of what it looks like in original paint? Looks like it hasn;t been used in along time, and with trashon it and around it, might be in the way...or the flip side is he kept it because he knows it's worth something. I agree, ask him what he wants for it.
I found a couple gas station island lights from the 30's, and called and asked the guy what he wanted. Said it wasn;t for sale, but then asked what I would give. I knew what they were worth, and went about half of that...he said no and now they are gone. I wonder if I gave him intention to remove and sell them... cat mouse game for sure.

B
badgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Couple more teasers for you...

Last edited by badgas; Fri Nov 13 2009 07:06 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Vintage car:

If you look on pages 112 & 113 of my Gas Pump Identification book you will see two pictures of it in its original paint.

If you don't have a copy of my book just go to:
www.petrocollect.com

Or...you can go to my website at: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/gas%20pump%20literature.htm

Click on Boyle-Dayton and see a picture free.

The largest website devoted to this hobby, over 5000 images posted.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved