Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160171 Sun Nov 15 2009 05:45 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Hi All. I'm hoping someone will have the answer to a question I've had for some time. It involves the Kendall 2 finger logo change. The early logo had a very graphic & detailed hand illustration, while the later logo has a somewhat generic or simplistic design. You Kendall guys will know what I'm talking about. Can anyone tell me when the change occurred? Possibly why?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Fishwacker #160174 Sun Nov 15 2009 06:12 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sometime in the very early 70's appears to be when Kendal made the change. The first quart cans to show the more modern look are from around '70-'73 although I'm not completely certain of this so someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Like most companies in any industry, keeping a fresh modern image with updating of logos has always been a practice......not always for the better in my mind. Sometimes the old logos are so graphic that over time, they become more and more costly to produce on modern items as prices to produce those items continue to become more costly. Advertising after all, isn't cheap these days.

........Dave
lordparaffin #160202 Sun Nov 15 2009 08:52 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I would say 70s. Although I think they used the 2 finger logo on a smaller scale like on cans.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #160217 Mon Nov 16 2009 01:54 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is only a guess but the 2 finger symbol was to remind you to change your oil every 2,000 miles which was the practice at that time. As longer life oil & engine improvements came that changed.

Kendall also avertised themselves as the "asked for motor oil".
Many gasoline brands didn't allow there dealers to have other brands of oil on the island display rack. So a customer would have to ask for Kendall which the dealer had to keep inside the station.

Dave

Dave Rowlison #160303 Mon Nov 16 2009 04:37 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The 2 fingers logo was exactly that, a representation and reminder of the 2000 mile oil change rule. The logo stuck even though in time, the amount of time between changes increased with better grades of oil.

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved