Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#160298 Mon Nov 16 2009 03:53 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I warned you guy's I had a few questions to ask the national forum. Here is one that really bothers me when someone says "its just a tin sign". Which is more rare, early porcelain or early tin signs? I have several of both and in my opinion the early tin (teens and twentys) are more rare as survivors than some early porcelain. Your thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, I have no interest in value at this point; thars another subject.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Old Iron #160299 Mon Nov 16 2009 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i agree that early tin is more rare.tin just could not hold up like porcelian,especialy when its outside or laying in the dirt.jmo

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #160301 Mon Nov 16 2009 04:30 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'd agree with that as well. It's just that the porcelain is always more desirable, hence the "it's just tin" mind set. Old is old in my book. If it looks and good and is in nice shape, I like it all.

........Dave
lordparaffin #160308 Mon Nov 16 2009 04:48 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I like them all, well except for plastic. It doesn't matter to me if it's porcelain or tin, just as long as it is looks good and priced right(CHEEP!)tt

oldgoaly #160311 Mon Nov 16 2009 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELL WHEN IT COMES TO COCA-COLA BUTTON SIGNS FOR EXAMPLE, ALLAN PETRETTI AUTHOR OF THE C-C COLLECTIBLES PRICE GUIDES PUBLISHED FOR SEVERAL DECADES HAS ALWAYS LISTED PORCELAIN VERSIONS MORE VALUABLE THAN THEIR TIN COUSINS. I COULD NEVER FIGURE THIS OUT SINCE PORC VERSIONS LASTED FOR MANY YEARS AND TIN ONES GOT WORN AND FADED IN SHORT ORDER. I SHOULD THINK THAT TIN SIGNS WERE THE TRUE SURVIVORS HERE WHETHER HUNG OUTSIDE OR INSIDE....MANY TIN SIGNS WERE THROWN AWAY, REPAINTED FOR SOMETHING ELSE OR JUST BUTCHERED AND PLACED IN A LOCATION MOST OF THE TIME THAT WOULD RUIN THEIR ORIGINAL VALUE. I'VE HEARD STORIES OF HOW THE PORC BUTTONS WERE USED FOR SLEDDING DOWN HILLS AND MIXING CEMENT IN TOO....BUT I BET THEY WERE STILL FAIRLY GOOD IF NOT TOTALLY ABUSED. LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
oldgoaly #160316 Mon Nov 16 2009 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most advertising was mass produced. The smaller companies that advertised on smaller scales would have produced
less signage therefore making it more rare than the mass produced stuff.
How many survived over the years would also determine rarity.

For instance there are several Pan-Am porcelain pump plates out there, but almost no Pan-Am "Commando" Tin pump signs.
The porcelains are older.

Keep in mind though rarity does not compute to dollars.
It is desire that fuels that fire.
I have a globe that may be the only one left in existance but it is not valued as much as some of the mass produced
"popular" oil company globes......"perceived value"
To me, the globe is priceless, to some worthless.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #160332 Mon Nov 16 2009 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jkyocom

Keep in mind though rarity does not compute to dollars.
It is desire that fuels that fire.

My Old Dodge is a perfect example of that.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #160346 Mon Nov 16 2009 07:04 PM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
I've so often found that many of the early tin signs have wonderful graphics especially the foreign signs. I have a number of early tin signs am always amazed when I offer some tin for sale how many people say "I only collect porcelain". I think they are missing out

hotcidr #160347 Mon Nov 16 2009 07:21 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I will agree with the tin not holding up as well. But as for age there are some old porcelain signs that are rare & valuable. But the porcelain did hold up a lot better to the elements. Then as hotcidr stated the more graphic wither tin or porcelain the more valuable they are smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Old Iron #160410 Tue Nov 17 2009 08:55 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

You will get no arguement from me about the value of porcelain versus tin or the graphic versus plain. Known it for years but ignored it when laying out displays for public viewing.

I don't limit myself. I display it all, paper,cardboard,masonite,wood,plastic (mostly light up),tin,glass and porcelain. I do it because I think they all make for an interesting display and a presentation of the history of gas and oil advertising.

I'll keep on displaying early,plain tin right next to flashy $1,500 porcelain even when I have to explain why it's there; rarity and history, not value. But then most of my displays have a strong leaning toward the presentation of history.Just my way of doing it.

Thank you all for your comments. I wanted to make sure I wasn't completely off base when I point out the rarity of early tin.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved