Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#160249 - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:55 AM Dixie Globe/lense question...
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lynn, NC USA
I recently purchased a globe (plastic) w/ 2 Dixie lenses (the newer red/white/blue color scheme...I believe these stations were generally in Georgia...does anyone know if these lenses have been repop'ed and if so how to tell an original from a repop? I just wanted to make sure as I purchased them as being originals. Thanks everyone...I don't know much about globes and dont want to get BURNED smile

Website www.petrojoe.com

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#160251 - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:10 AM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: grabber]
Old Iron Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: New Mexico
I don't know much about globes either. But I read a lot. One of the price guides shows a picture of a globe that appears to be a fantasy piece combining elements of a Dixie & Reble globe.

Some of the real globe guys will know a whole lot more about it than I do; I've never seen an original of either one.

#160252 - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:35 AM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: Old Iron]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
They do make those in a repop. The repos should have a date on them the originals will not. Hope this helps smile

#160253 - Mon Nov 16 2009 10:35 AM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: Old Iron]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Right on...I know the Dixie gas globes are from the 70s or early 80s I believe...they're not very old but were originals (made for Dixie gas co's)... I really wasnt sure if they had been popped though...like almost everything else on the planet unfortunately...there's 2 pump plates as well (tall & tin)...Thanks for your input.

Website www.petrojoe.com

#160296 - Mon Nov 16 2009 04:29 PM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: grabber]
chadrock00 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Warsaw, Illinois
There was a set on the bay a couple weeks ago that were the real deal and I think they went super cheap.

#160336 - Mon Nov 16 2009 07:10 PM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: gasoildude]
Dale Stephens Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama, USA
Originally Posted By: gasoildude
They do make those in a repop. The repos should have a date on them the originals will not. Hope this helps smile

Is this statement for the question asked about the Georgia Dixie Co. globe or the fantasy globe mentioned by Old Iron? I didn't realize that the Georgia Dixie globe had been reproduced. I thought they were all originals because of them still being used in south Georgia, or at least they were about 5 years ago if memory serves correctly....Dale

#160345 - Mon Nov 16 2009 08:03 PM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: Dale Stephens]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

This question is about the Georgia Dixie Co...I purchased a set on ebay recently (housed in a plastic globe)...I didnt think they had been reproduced but just wanted to ask to see (I purchased them as originals)...I heard they were still being used up until a few years ago...The lenses are so darn nice they almost looked new (thats what through me off smile Thanks for the input...

Website www.petrojoe.com

#160348 - Mon Nov 16 2009 08:23 PM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: grabber]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
Ok the Georgia ones I dont believe been reproduced so you should be safe there smile

#160359 - Mon Nov 16 2009 09:19 PM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: gasoildude]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Super groovy! Sometimes when you look at something and its nice (almost too nice) you start to wonder lol...Thanks again!

Website www.petrojoe.com

#160654 - Wed Nov 18 2009 11:57 AM Re: Dixie Globe/lense question... [Re: grabber]
scottpcm Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: LaGrange, Ohio
If this is the globe with the shield logo red/white/blue it has never been repopped. Scott Benjamin

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved