Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#161009 Fri Nov 20 2009 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
First of all, thanks for the help I have gotten from you guys out there on misc questions. Yes I am a newbie and only into this for about 1 1/2 years now. As my garage is filling up and likewise in the house I'm not sure my wife is buying the whole "It's an investment honey trust me" anymore.

What are you older collectors seeing with the current pricing and guessing about the future? I buy them and restore them because I love old stuff and really just enjoy them but there will come a point, and that may be soon, that I have to consider moving some pumps?

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Go through my Gas Pump Identification book, the ones with the high prices are holding steady or going up in value. The ones with the lower prices have dropped some in value and the fact that there are more of them around.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kris--I've handled about 100 pumps in the last three years and most of the time, I make a few bucks on the ones that I don't touch because I buy them right and don't put a lot into them.
As far as restored pumps go, even doing most of the work myself, I get too much into them to consider them a decent investment. It would be a little different if I could do the bodywork and painting myself! If you're careful, you can buy restored pumps cheaper than you can redo them! Not always the case but it does happen. The reason behind restoring one is that you get to decide on everything including the type of pump, colors, badging and the whole works!!!! Gives you a satisfied feeling when you're done too!
Todays economy has depressed the value of everything but Gas & Oil collectibles seem to be holding their own pretty well! Theres always a market for gas pumps and with todays transportation, they're available rather reasonably! Just be careful when you buy your pumps and you'll be fine as far as retaining your investment. A very wise and wealthy man once told me that you make your money when you buy----not when you sell!! Good advice!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have realized quickly, which is a good thing that it didn't take that long, that the higher values are the ones to try and find. I decided to buy one nicer pump with a bigger ticket than three average clean ones. Of course the Roman columns aren't just laying around every corner but I think I will start getting to visibles from my current electric assortment. I thought Tok 36's clockface or not still bring good money but I am pretty convinced that EBAY is not the place to sell as I see nice pumps go for much lower than expected.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shipping has always been the down fall w/ ebay. Moving companies are the best way to ship pumps & large signs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kris-- The Ebay market is not a good place to judge the value of Gas & Oil memorabilia--especially pumps! The majority of ebayers (both buyers and sellers) are not sufficiently educated on the items they are dealing in! Also, most ebayers are not aware of the shipping opportunities available here in the US.
Makes for a false impression of the market in these items. A good quality Wayne 60 or Tokheim 36B, will still sell for around $1200, but again, I emphasize quality! These same 2 pumps would have brought more a couple years back and today on ebay, its tough to get them sold for that figure BUT you can get them sold when presented to knowledgable people. Watch ebay for the deals and know your market, you'll be fine!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sounds about right. Thanks for the tips. I don't think that you could go wrong with getting ahold of some nicer visibles also for value?

Kris Strong

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved