Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
My 2 cents: If people raised kids to truly respect others, less people would be out there trying to decieve others to fill their pockets. Every one knows what their own intentions are. If it's to mislead people so they can make money there is some thing wrong with them and they are adding nothing positive to this world.(IMO) They will answer for the things they've done.It's obvious there is no shame in the dude selling all the ***** on ebay. Every city has there own. Even Spokane Washington.
Show your kids the adult making money off screwing people over, use it as an example to help them become better people. Certainly not perfect myself but I try not to justify screwing some one over THEN DOING IT.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400087253905

...this sign has been chemically aged - the typefaces used to recreate this sign are way off...beware 'treasure ray' on eBay...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I know this is an original,

texaco.JPG
Tankar #161369 Mon Nov 23 2009 08:03 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I think I see a difference in the type fonts, now how much lettering can vary with porcelain? from the firing/fusing process? tt

Tankar #161384 Mon Nov 23 2009 11:01 AM
S
S
Don't know if it has been mentioned yet
but how does a guy like TR get a satisfaction
rating of 99.8 with almost 10,000 transactions?

Sully..........

SULLY #161400 Mon Nov 23 2009 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Because most people do not realize they have a Fake until months later, the ones that do find out right away, probably get a refund from Ray to prevent neg. feedback. And a LOT of people just do not leave feedback

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #161402 Mon Nov 23 2009 02:31 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
BIG difference in the type faces between the original and the repro TEXACO pump topper in question. The repro is definitely using more "modern" fonts (I worked in graphic design for many years.) Also note the difference in the positioning of the periods on "U.S.A." between the two toppers. Details! Details!

Hopefully, we can all still have a wonderful Thanksgiving. My best to everyone, John in Wisconsin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The biggest thing that jumped out at me on both of these toppers is the "Black T". Texaco dropped the "black T" completely by 1943. T-ray's topper, he says, is from the 60s, 20+ years after the "symbol" was dropped. Tankar's topper also, has me questioning it. The toppers I have seen in person and in books, all are without the "Made by Texas Company". Signs from the 20's and very early 30's have that signage, but toppers?

Erol Tuzcu had arguably the largest Texaco collection around. Not one of the largest, but the largest and most complete . I know personally the party that bought his collection. Plus the book "A Tour with Texaco" is based 98% on Mr. Tuzcu's collection. I figure that if such a topper existed he would have had it. He collected Texaco items for almost 30 years before selling his collection. So like I said I have some questions. But I have been wrong, before.

Oh, by the way the signage with "Made by....." the periods between U.S.A are just like I typed them. For those with "A Tour...Texaco a couple of these signs on are page 41. Checkout the 1932 sign where it reads "Made By The Texas Company" the USA portion has been dropped. Just something to ponder about.

Like I said I have some questions.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This will always be a hotly debated topic and at this point I feel trying to add anything of merit seems to create even more dispute which makes this no longer a healthy debate, but simply one of those unfortunate instances which gives lurkers and those with reservations fuel to not get involved. Let's agree to save face at this point for a greater good.

........Dave
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
Then Bob your Texaco friend had a repo. as well look on page 32 lower right bottom one, his sign is like mine the dots are between the letters.

Tankar #161418 Mon Nov 23 2009 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tankar I said, I have questions. Still do. I didn't say yours wasn't original, I have questions. I voiced my questions here and said "But I have been wrong, before." I am going to drop this because it does no good to get angry. But try reading, the whole reply next time.

Oh, my friend doesn't have any repops, that I know of, but again I could be wrong.

T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
I know your not implying that mine is a fake, I understamd that you may have questions no problem there. , I am just saying it is the same as your friends in the book so either there both fake or both real that's what I was getting at. I am done as well. going to watch the football game.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
[quote=Bob Richards] Signs from the 20's and very early 30's have that signage, but toppers?

These signs are not toppers. They go on "lubster" attachments. All this type I have ever seen have the black outline around the green "T". Probably dating from the teens through the thirties. I could be wrong on this but it is just my opinion...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was under the impression Tankar's was a topper, I was wrong. No wonder I was questioning it, am I ever right? I made the mistake of not reading the auction correctly. Sorry for the trouble my questions may have caused. Thank you Dale for pointing out that I was wrong in a polite way, LOL.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400087253905

...this sign has been chemically aged - the typefaces used to recreate this sign are way off...beware 'treasure ray' on eBay...

I see Tray revised his listing............

"On Nov-23-09 at 18:51:50 PST, seller added the following information:

It was brought to my attention this may not be made in the 60s but from the 80s or so. The collector

I am selling this for has had it installed outdoors on a Texaco pump for at least 20 yrs"

Maybe he's turning over a new leaf ?!? laugh smirk grin

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved