Next Thread
Print Thread
#162060 Fri Nov 27 2009 03:43 PM
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W

I have to say it again,,, not everyone who buys signs and cans cares if they are repros..or originals, there are lots of people out there who just want to decorate their room with whatever looks good to them.. Why do we care to continue to get all fired up about another repro on Ebay ? The real serious buyer will know what he is buying,,, ( or Most of them anyway ).

Wes.......
Wes Hague #162065 Fri Nov 27 2009 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Wes, i just have to respectfuly disagree.....we should keep the pressure on guys like "treasureray" on ebay...they continue to mis inform, lie, cheat , steal from some of these non-serious buyers who don't know any better....after one good sting from these guys the new "non-serious" buyer will never become a "serious" buyer......its no problem if you know you are buying a repo but to get lied to & cheated is be violated in a criminal way & should not be tolerated & the people who know better should have some reponsibilty to educate some of the newbies & protect them from these rip-offs.....of course it does boil down to "buyer beware" but it does help to have a knowledgeable forum like this with this valuable info.....I would have been stung 100's of times if it were not for friends, books, forums, that i could rely on getting good quality info......

roadrelics #162081 Fri Nov 27 2009 05:51 PM
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
Your probably right Darryl,,I guess I'm not relentless at this,,it just seems like flogging a dead horse,, keep up the good work guys,, cool

Wes.......
Wes Hague #162094 Fri Nov 27 2009 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wes--Being fairly new to this hobby has given me some definite feelings about the repop thing! When repos are listed as such, I have no problem with them, its when they are unmarked and offered as originals that bothers me! If I had been stung with repops, numerous times when I first started collecting, THAT WOULD HAVE ENDED IT FOR ME!
I was lucky enough to have several people, such as yourself, that I could turn to for advice on purchases and feel safe buying from. It made a big difference to me and I can only believe it would have the same effect on any other new aspiring collector! Thank god for the honest collectors!!!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #162134 Sat Nov 28 2009 05:30 AM
W
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
W
Thanks Kevin,,,, I've been around only since the mid 80's in serious collecting ( after I retired) and they were making repro signs etc. in the 70's (35 yrs. ago).. I actually think some of these guys selling stuff out there think this stuff from the 70's is ORIGINAL,, to them. I can still be trick on some of the signs,etc., after a while you seem to either get a feel of the stuff or not..it isn't something you can teach anyone,, it just comes. Good Luck,,

Wes.......
K W FRITH #162192 Sat Nov 28 2009 02:36 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Wes--Being fairly new to this hobby has given me some definite feelings about the repop thing! When repos are listed as such, I have no problem with them, its when they are unmarked and offered as originals that bothers me! If I had been stung with repops, numerous times when I first started collecting, THAT WOULD HAVE ENDED IT FOR ME!
I was lucky enough to have several people, such as yourself, that I could turn to for advice on purchases and feel safe buying from. It made a big difference to me and I can only believe it would have the same effect on any other new aspiring collector! Thank god for the honest collectors!!!!--KEVIN

This sums it up for me. I would like to have some original signs, but wont go near them. The experts cant seem to agree on some of them, so I am not going to get burned by just staying away from them. Its bad for the hobby.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #162260 Sat Nov 28 2009 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...the 'tell-tale' signs are there if you look for them...don't let a couple of not-too-well-done fakes ruin the hobby for you...educate yourself...the overwhelming majority of counterfeiters are too lazy to get it exactly right...they're targeting the people who buy before they think...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved