Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
If you have a 1935 Tok and like the 40's Gulf images does it really hurt the value besides to the compulsive collector if you don't brand it to the exact or thereabouts age of the pump?
Basically I want to brand it how I want but realize that one day I may sell it and don't want to make too big of a mistake.
Thanks from the new guy-just trying to get a handle on the basics

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No. Pumps were used for many years and were rebranded as the companies marketing changed. Just don't take a newer pump and put an older scheme on it that was used before the was pump made.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It won't effect the value to 98% of buyers, Do it up as you like, you will enjoy it more.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Kind of what I was thinking. Thanks guys

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have some visibls coming in and I don't 1) where I will fit them 2) How long I will be alive after my wife sees more pumps and 3) what to brand because some of the independents are really cool and I don't want to do the typical Texaco, Shell, Mobil Blah Blah Blah. Just like the stuff you don't see alot.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is always GENERIC.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...big surprise: I completely disagree, and think this is the worst advice you could give a 'newbie'...if you aren't heavily invested already, why not try and make your stuff as historically accurate as possible?...you've got a 'blank slate'...there are enough pumps painted like Ken Kesey's buses out there as it is...seriously...

...I can't understand the attraction to fantasy paint schemes, or why some people seem to think their pump will be boring if it's restored in an historically accurate manner...

..."Look, Charlie - here's the old gas pump I was telling you about, just finished the restoration. And here's an old photograph of this model pump in front of the station back in the day - looks just like I went back in time and grabbed the pump, huh?"...

...what's boring or unimpressive about that?

...if you have a GOC spec pump you should try and restore it as close to original specs as possible...those pumps were designed for and sold to Gulf (and not other companies, look at the original literature) and are rarely found in other color schemes...I have ten unrestored GOC's and only one of them bears a color scheme other than Gulf's blue, white and/or orange...

...think of your pump restoration as you would an old car restoration (not 'hot rod custom' - a restoration) and you won't go wrong in the long run...

..."yeah, I'd buy your pump, but it's just too authentic for me..." sounds ridiculous because it is...

...I know the people who eschewed accurate historical restorations for whatever reason (i.e., they don't care about the history of the pump; they just want to do something 'fun'; or they want the pump to match their bass boat) are going to be against any trend towards historical authenticity, for obvious reasons ($$$)...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am kinda with Gulfiend on this one. I think southfloridagas asked if a 40's brand on a 1935 pump was ok... Sure!
I just think a 60's brand on a 30's pump isn't the best idea but if that is what you like it's your pump... do what you want with it! Everyone has seen the late 60's Sinclair Dino done up on a Wayne 615 visible before. LOL

Remember... opinions are like aholes everyone has one. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Also its your pump do it like you want it smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Historically correct? What does one do with a pump that has been re branded? Most stations didn't change the pumps until they fell apart. That is why one finds layer upon layer of paint on them. A good portion of the paint isn't the same color. A lot of these pumps also have the logos of different companies on them. Sure, if one has a pump that was specially made for a certain company then take it back to that wrapper. Most pumps were sold to whomever had the money to buy them, whether from the original manufacturer or by resale.

My trim-line was in continuous service for close to 30 yrs, possibly longer. A new computer was put in when gas prices went over $1 and a holes were cut in the faces for the new totals. When I got the paint off, I had gone through 4 different Oil Companies. The last being EXXON (first layer off,last one on) and I could have missed a few because I wasn't real careful. I knew that I wanted Phillips66 but, I would have been just as correct with any brand that used the G&B Trim line from the early 60s on. So really, does it matter? Unless one had a notarized document from the original owner, how would one know what the history is of a certain pump?
Just my .02.

Last edited by Bob Richards; Mon Nov 30 2009 07:58 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with gasoildude and Bob. Its your pump do with it what you like. If you can keep it as close to the time period thats great, but in the end you have to be happy with your pump. Dont worry about what it well sell for later. If you look at most of the gas and oil auctions restored pumps usually bring less money anyway.

Last edited by s932; Mon Nov 30 2009 08:08 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...if you want a Phillips 66 image (or Union, or Richfield, or Deep-Rock, etc.) on your 1935 Tokheim pump, that's cool...all I'm saying is why not paint your 1935 pump the way the designers that worked for Phillips 66 (or Union, or Richfield, or Deep-Rock, etc.) decided they should be painted in 1935?...

...what's the downside?

...back to SOUTHFLORIDAGAS's question: take two identical pumps...have them restored by the same guy, using the same kind of paint, parts, etc. - but have one restored to an historically accurate image (with correct decals, ad glass and paint scheme), and one restored using the same colors but painted in a more fanciful scheme (ethyl decal, fantasy ad glass, etc.)...it is my contention that the historically accurate one will be easier to sell for top dollar down the road...especially if the seller can provide that old photo...

...no other hobby that I can think of has moved away from historical accuracy, they all move towards it over time...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not to beat a dead horse, but auto collecting has moved away from "historic accuracy". There are more "replica" Cobras now(times hundreds), than were ever made by Shelby. As well as "California Specials", "Hemi Cudas" and Challengers..... I could go on and on.... Unbelievable how many '66 Mustangs have turned up with 302s or even "HI-PO" code 289s that the owners claim are stock. Even though Ford didn't have the 302 in the Mustang until '68 and Ford ran short on V-8s in '66. Go through tech at Barrett-Jackson and see how many cars are changed at auction because they are a "repop" or pure fantasy. In the end, it has to be up to the owner of a pump, car or a piece of furniture. I can't imagine someone telling a homeowner, you can't paint that color inside of your own home because it wasn't available when the home was built. Or atleast to me, it's the same concept. "It's mine and I will do what I want with it".

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...no - but plenty of homeowners are advised to put their renovation money into one area of renovation over another, i.e., another bathroom instead of an addition, etc...

...Bob, your auto show analogy demonstrates your contempt for the fakers posing as the real thing...yet you have no similar opinion regarding pump restorations?

...we were asked for advice as to what the best course of action was regarding pump restoration, in the event that the restored pump had to be sold...

...you guys have it all wrong - you go on and on like I am trying to tell people what they can and can't do with their property...that's not the case...asked for an opinion, I'm telling people what I think they should do with their property...when people tell a 'newbie' that it doesn't matter how you restore your pump, that's pure baloney and I'm gonna call them on it...

...I collect gas station stuff and value historical accuracy...everytime this topic comes up, the only argument those who disagree with me (and post here about it) can come up with is "it's a free country" or "it's his pump, he can do what he wants"...those statements do absolutely nothing to further the debate, as that's not the topic of discussion...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are TOO many 50's-60's & 70's pump painted up GILMORE, ALL FANTASY as GILMORE sold out to MOBIL during WW2 [by 1945 all GILMORE's were GONE].

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved