Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#162808 - Wed Dec 02 2009 07:58 AM What is this Texaco item.....??
DWSheffer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
Hello All,
I was at an anitque mall over the weekend and saw this LARGE Texaco sign. It's not something I would/could own because of its large size, approx. 3X6 feet or so if I remember correctly. I was just wondering HOW it was used? It has lots of original small holes drilled into it, so was thinking it was some sort of shelf display unit maybe? Does anyone have a pic of a nice one showing how it was used? I'm sure this is a 1930's vintage sign and would be a hard one to find in real nice condition. BTW, it was priced at around $175, which with the condition I felt was a bit steep, but like I said probably not a real common item.
Thanks for any replies,
Darin

Edited by DWSheffer (Wed Dec 02 2009 07:59 AM)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#162811 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:15 AM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: DWSheffer]
roadrelics Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota ...USA
it looks like a grease gun holder rack

www.roadrelics.com

#162813 - Wed Dec 02 2009 08:22 AM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: roadrelics]
Wes Maxwell Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Central Ohio
that would be correct, it is a rack to hold grease guns/ oil cans. They are identified as to what went where so the mechanic could grab the right gun with the right grease in it. If I was a Texaco collector, I would pay $175 for it. Other companies like Sinclair also had similar set ups to hold different products for the gas station repair bays

#162838 - Wed Dec 02 2009 11:58 AM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: Wes Maxwell]
advertologist Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: So. Ca.
There is one on ebay that is a lot cleaner dated 3/32-
It is a little more complete with the attachments to the sign for the different grease gun attachments.

1932 TEXACO PORCELAIN DISPLAY SIGN & DISPENSER-RAREebay # 140362909128

Edited by advertologist (Wed Dec 02 2009 12:01 PM)

#162843 - Wed Dec 02 2009 01:09 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: DWSheffer]
gainsigns Offline

Loc: TX
That is a Texaco grease gun wall mounted holder. They also made a triangular grease gun holder on a grease cart. The one you found is in poor shape so whatever you want to pay is your choice.

#162878 - Wed Dec 02 2009 04:17 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: gainsigns]
TUCKER48 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: DANSVILLE MICHIGAN USA
I saw that sign at the Mason antiques district also. The seller always has high prices on his stuff. If you walk across the street the same vendor has gas and oil stuff in the old mill building. Also high on the prices. I always tell my wife that I'm going to visit the local salvage yard when I go there because they seem to have a lot of general junk for sale. Good luck.

#162891 - Wed Dec 02 2009 05:04 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: TUCKER48]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
IF you could find one of these for sale, expect to pay a few thousand.
This one belongs to an oldgas member.

#162892 - Wed Dec 02 2009 05:06 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: Dick Bennett]
Signal Gas & Oil Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Lodi, CA.
I'll take the Pathfinder sign. Ted
Looking for Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Douglas, Gilmore and Richfield

#162917 - Wed Dec 02 2009 07:18 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: DWSheffer]
oldmarine Offline

Loc: Lebanon, Mo 65536 USA
I have one of these - didn't know what year

#162962 - Wed Dec 02 2009 09:43 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: oldmarine]
gasoildude Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Oneida IL USA
That Gilmore display & other stuff is sweet cool

#162968 - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:17 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: gasoildude]
DWSheffer Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hillsdale, Michigan
WOW! That Gilmore one is a beaut! Thanks for the replies everyone. Like I said, nothing I would want because of the size, just curious as to it's original use.
And hey Tucker, you never know what you MIGHT find in these junk shops. I've found good stuff cheap like everyone has just by chance in similar places! I fathom to guess that Gas/Oil collectibles aren't up most antique dealer's alleys, and some grossly misprice things. I'll keep looking through the junk!
Have a good one,
Darin

#162970 - Wed Dec 02 2009 10:19 PM Re: What is this Texaco item.....?? [Re: gasoildude]
bruzer75 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Grants Pass, OR, USA
Very interesting sign. Glad too see what the whole sign looks like because it makes sense now.
Mike

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved