Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163201 Fri Dec 04 2009 12:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I had a person contact me and state they had a porcelain Sunoco sign and a Tire sign with a motorcycle on it. He said they were packed away but if I was interested he would dig them out of the garage. He couldn't remember if it was a Goodyear sign, but it is the only one I can think of. Were there others? I am also concerned about it being a repro so if anyone has a pic of a authentic one I would be appreciative if you can send me a good pic of one for comparison. If this turns out to be the real deal I will be one happy Canuck...especially seeing as though only wants $50.00 each

Last edited by 1970mach; Fri Dec 04 2009 12:17 PM.

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
the guys are going to want to see pictures Colin,, I had one like what your talking about only with an airplane on it,,, check it out and it was a repro,,, I got the shaft,,, but for $50 buck who cares..Someone also made one from Mobiloil with a motorcycle on it,,so be careful,,

Goodyear Aviation sign. 30 x 18.jpg GargoyleMobiloil sign,.jpg

Wes.......
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
There were fake Mobiloil "D" signs at Hershey this year.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Wes, I don't have pictures. I was supposed to see him today at 1 pm but he called at noon and put it off because he is not feeling well and didn't get to digging it out of the garage. So we are tentatively now meeting on Sunday. He is an elderly man and has no digital camera, and is only 25 minutes away. If every thing turns out to be good I will definately post pics.

Colin Latreille
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Cant wait till Sunday wink

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I was watching one of those Mobil D signs currently running on eBay. Here it is. Thought it looked authentic but should I be second guessing this one?

p1010068_1259598868[1].jpg

Colin Latreille
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That is one that has been reproduced.I can't tell if the one in your picture is a repro or not,but they do repro that sign. Personally I wouldn't buy one now because it has been reproduced,and that really drops the value of an original in my eyes.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...in the top photo, from eBay - look closely at the 'GARGOYLE" lettering at top left...it is 'arched' not 'arced'...that is to say, the letters are distorted to form an arch, instead of fanned out along the curve in an arc...the one on eBay is a fake...

...the bottom photo is of a REAL one, from the Gary Runyon auction...photo is from the Aumann Auction website...you will note many minor differences between the fake and real sign: the 'REG. TRADE MARK' under the 'l' in 'Mobiloil'; the word 'ALL' is italicized on the real sign, not on the fake...the one on eBay is 12" square - the original is 9" x 11", according to the Aumann website...there are other glaring font errors, where incorrect fonts were substituted for the original ones...

...again - repro guys are lazy - they're not trying to fool the educated buyers, they want the newbies and novice collectors...print out the photos and learn the differences...

p1010068_1259598868[1].jpg 054.jpg

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
What a lesson, could of fooled me. Seems like you need to be in doubt about nearly everything. Shame

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Gulfiend. Incredible the number of differences. I see even detail differences in the outline of the heaf/face area and the handle bar details. Thanks for the lesson. Someone is going to get shafted on this one as it is now @ !239.00.

Colin Latreille
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thanks Guys! it much easier when you show what the differences are. tt

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Well I did manage to go out to see the signs last Sunday....Well it turned out to be a complete bust. The goodyear sign was a tin sign 1990's vintage. The sign he thought was a Sunoco sign turned out to be a yellow and blue Yokahama tire sign that was round and meant to be put in the opening of a tire. It was the sign with the Motorcycle on it. It wasn't in good shape and was a relatively new piece as well.

Did anyone see the final price on that Mobil D reproduction? $687.00!

Colin Latreille
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Hey John,,, does that mean all those $20,000-$30,000 globes are no good now that someone is reproducing them too or all the other signs out there,, ? Just a question John,,, don't get mad at me, LOL !!!! Merry Xmas !!!!! laugh

Wes.......
V
V
Hi Gulfiend,
A friend of mine wants to know if this Mobiloil D is real?
Please e-mail me for pics, my e-mail is ligeron1@singnet.com.sg
Thanks,
Ed

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I did a post on this in the "known repro" forum a couple of years ago, showing the differences and photos of both :-)
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=123302#Post123302

br
Claes

Last edited by fast66; Thu Sep 30 2010 03:42 AM. Reason: added link
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Colin, I have followed many auctions of these signs the last years. They almost always end around $600+ :-( I have contacted many sellers of these signs with no result - some of them at several occasions.
I even saw one of the more respectable sellers of high end signs, have one up for auction the other week.
One thing to be warned from is if an unusual sign suddenly show up in great numbers.
br
Claes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Education like this is valuable even to the seasoned collectors. Thanks for the info. I have filed it away for future sitings.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: vintageoak
Hi Gulfiend,
A friend of mine wants to know if this Mobiloil D is real?
Please e-mail me for pics, my e-mail is ligeron1@singnet.com.sg
Thanks,
Ed

...just compare the photos you have with the photos in this topic...that's all the information I have...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved