Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163343 Sat Dec 05 2009 03:13 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have an opportunity to pick up this pump, but being a rookie I have no idea of its' worth, or even what it is for that matter. Fella thinks it is a Gilbarco, but I cannot find one like it in my searching the web. He also has the "Shell" globe which he says is original, along with all the porcelin signage. I haven't seen the globe to know if it just says SHELL or if it is the older one that is shaped like a shell. Can someone ident it and give a rookie a ballpark figure as to what it might be worth? Thanks......Louis

shell 640.jpg
Which Gilbarco is this?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
The pump looks like a tokheim 876. Pump should have a value around 500.00 Hope this helps, Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy it or you will regret it later.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Be careful on the globe and signage. I think they have mostly all been repopped. If they are real, BIG BUCKS, way more than the pump is worth.

T
OP Offline
T
Hmmm...thanks guys. I just got off the phone with the gentleman. He has had this pump since the early 70's, which is when he worked for the oil company that had this pump. I asked about the globe, and he says that it is original, milk glass shaped like a shell. How would I tell if it IS an original? Geez.....I wish I knew pumps like I know firearms, I wouldn;t feel so "easy". I get to look at it tommorrow in person, after work.
Any suggestions to keep myself from getting burned?
Thanks again

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
To keep from getting burned on a gas pump you should have a copy of my Gas Pump Identification (& value) Guide. It identifies over 1900 gas pumps, mostly in color all with values. Your pump the Tokheim 876 is shown on page 284. This pump was made by Tokheim for the Gulf Oil Company and was made between 1938 and 1948. You email me with the information on the ID tag and I will tell you when it was made. Ryan is correct on the value, but not if the faces are missing, the signs and globes will add to the value.

My book is available (autographed by me) on my website: www.petrocollect.com

Also if you would like to see a picture of your pump, go to this page on my website:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/tokheim%20876.htm

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Dec 05 2009 05:28 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with Ryan & Shawn! Good looking pumps smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The sight glass assembly definatly looks "Tokheim"

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Interesting how a Gulf pump ended up being Shell. I can see a outline of a shell on the door were a decal or sign was.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
Be careful on the globe and signage. I think they have mostly all been repopped. If they are real, BIG BUCKS, way more than the pump is worth.

I think you need to get over there and get the pump. Chances are the globe and signs are original. The globe is not worth a ton, but the signs are very tough to find if they are original.

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not a bad looking pump, IF those pump plates are real, you have a real score on your hands!! See if they reproduces the face plates? Im sure some one can tell you on here.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I asked about the globe, and he says that it is original, milk glass shaped like a shell. How would I tell if it IS an original?

The best way to tell if the Shell clam is original is to look at the letters. The originals are fired on and they probably will look faded, not bright red. A lot of the originals were outside long enough that the red would be almost "washed" off. The milkglass the originals were made from is not a bright white like the reproduction ones are, either.

Price on the original clams would be in the $200 to $500 range, depending on condition of the glass(cracks, chips) and the condition of the letters. If it has chips or cracks, it would not be worth even the lowest price. This is my opinion. Hope this helps....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You also said it had porcelain signs, which ones the little contain lead signs or the the pump plates? big deference and big bucks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The holes on the door do not look right for a clam pump plate. Maybe it is the lesd signs the owner is talking about. I can see the holes for them.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
T
OP Offline
T
I stopped at looked at the pump today. The "clamshell" would appear to by old enough to be original...to my untrained eye anyway. The clamshell glass itself is in excellent condition..no chips or cracks. From looking at pictures I hadn't realized that the letters were "formed", or molded in the glass. The paint is all but gone though. On one side there is only about 1/2-3/4 inch of paint left on the bottom of the letters, and on the other someone had hand brushed the lettering. Covered in dust from 30 plus years in his garage attic.
The faceplates....one is in very good condition. No rust, no dents,just dirty from being up in his garage attic for the last 30 something years. The bezzle on the faceplate is heavily tarnished, but not pitted. The other faceplate isn't rusted or dented, but a section of the porcelain under the sight glass opening looks like it's had something corrosive leaking down it.
Missing one "contains lead" sign, and the one he has is rusted around the screw holes and edges.
Comes with the nozzle, no hose. The nozzle is cracked through the "hoop" ...the section that would be next to the "bottom" of your hand if you were pumping gas. The nozzle is a Tokheim 103something....maybe.....hard to make it out as it was cruded up with old dried grease and grim.
Sheetmetal was good, with the exception of the damage you can see in the photo and the bottom of the front. Looks like it had been cut to allow "plumbing" to pass. Easy fix though. As Matt stated, there are extra signage holes. The "lead" sign fits the 4 holes just below the access door on the front. I'm not sure about the 4 holes that make the larger hole pattern. Must have been prior to the Shell decal.
This pump came from a Shell oil terminal, where he used to work. The terminal was located along the Ohio river here, and I can imagine that it spent several weeks each spring under water as the river flooded often and most of the oil terminals here used to be on the wrong side of the floodwall.
The fella is asking 800 dollars. He's in pretty bad shape from a recent stroke and I'm not inclined to talk someone down on price when they are in difficult situations, if you know what I mean.
Anyway..........any ideas or thoughts?
Thanks, Louis

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved