Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#163871 Tue Dec 08 2009 03:36 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
In case you hadn't noticed, I have a very strong interest in history in general and more particulary in the known history of the pieces that we collect.

I, and a few friends of mine,have several pieces in our collections that we know the exact origin of those pieces.In some cases,the buildings where the pieces were used are still standing but have obviously been converted to other uses.

Some of us could actually do it. We could post a picture of pieces in our collections along with pictures of those pieces in actual use in an old station or pictures of the old stations where they were used as they appear today.

In some cases it would take a lot of work,as in driving a lot of miles to take pictures of the old stations,still standing, where we found stuff. A couple of us would do it if there is enough interest.

Howevere, my original question to the forum remains: How important is it to you that you know the origin and/or the history of the pieces in your collections?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i think it would be great.love to know about the old stations and the pumps.i always wondered ,wouldnt it be cool if you could hear some of the stories that happend around these old stations!! if only the pumps could talk!!

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Tue Dec 08 2009 03:42 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
That is great. I have had only a couple pumps that I have known where they started & ended up before I got them smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
If you have a story to go with an item, they always seem to be much better. Not only to you, but anyone that you tell the story to.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I actually have 4 pumps that I know the station they were used at. However only one of the buildings still stands and is currently being used as a restaurant. They are the favorites of my collection because they were used here locally. I really enjoy knowing where they came from.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I try to get all the info I can on any piece I have.
I feel extremely fortunate to have actually talked to the guy who designed the one globe I have.
I would guess he has retired from Triangle Refineries by now, and I would imagine I would never be able to find him again...if he is still with us.
That is how I KNOW how many were made.
Anyone 100% sure they have seen one besides the pic of this one in the first globe book???
it looks better in color cool

SPARKS OIL CO. LINCOLN AL.....100 made
Sparks Bought from Triangle
Triangle = Kerr-McGee
This is a DEEP-ROCK cousin.
To the best of my knowledge so is the orange HIOTANE globe, and COASTAL W/ SEAGULLS globe.
"AS NEW AS TOMORROW" was TRIANGLE'S slogan
There are some GENERIC lenses Triangle used too.
Sound like I did my homework?????
This MAY be the only one in a collection or the last one.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kinda related to your question. I'm planning on building a outdoor model railroad, based on the line that ran through this area. I plan on using, ballast, from the actual line, as well as wood, for the bridges from the actual bridges. I've even gone as far as building a house, from its own wood. Whatever buildings are still standing, are measured and photographed, then filed away for later. When they are built, they will be located, in there actual compass alignment, so that the sun, and shadows are correct.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I guess we are all different. Knowing what era my stuff came from is enough for me. I've honestly never even given it a thought as to where it might have been used at.

Now..the stuff in my collection that came from my station has a lot of sentimental value to me. Every time I go out to my shop I look at the Eco that was bolted to my station and it brings back many memories. I suppose what I'm saying is that if it didn't have any direct connection to my past I really don't think about it much.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
As you can easily guess I have really concentrated on the history of this hobby. I now have 41 files drawers filled with service station related literature, of which 14 are for gas pumps only and two are for air meters.

Bought another piece of G&B literature today.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your not addicted Jack, obsessed is a better term ! LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The history and nostalgia have always gone hand in hand for me. Anything I can learn about what I collect or individual stories behind pieces is priceless. For me, without the history, it all seems kind of empty and meaningless.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...VERY interested in the history...as much as possible...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I also like to be able to know the history of what I have. One thing we (well, it actually belongs to Wes, but you know how that goes!) have is a toy Shell truck. Wes' grandfather played with it as a child, then it was passed down to his uncle who also played with it. Wes received it as a Christmas gift a few years ago. It's not in the greatest shape, but very cool to know that it was played with by 2 generations before ending up in our showcase. Wish I had more stuff that had a story with it!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Enjoy it while you have it.... remember....were only the caretakers....sometimes I wish this stuff could talk,
I think we would hear some good stories-

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I enjoy researching the history of many of the old collectables I have. For much of my collection of station small's, it is more about learning what year they were given out.

One day when in the office of our Transportation Maintenance Manger, he showed me a photo given to him from an employee of Fruehauf Trailer Corp. It was a picture of one of our trucks from the 1920's he found when cleaning out old files. He let me take it home and copy it.
A couple years later I found a copy of the actual add the photo was taken for.
I love putting pieces of the puzzle together of old items I have found.
I know the origin of a couple of my old signs, but with the exception of one, do not have photos of them in use.

1920s-FRUEHAUF trailer=640.jpg Fruehauf Ad-640.jpg
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved