Print Thread
#164385 Fri Dec 11 2009 11:33 AM
S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I can't find anything. If there are posts, link them here please.

Please include the kind of mounting surface you are hanging it on.

How do you hang your porcelain signs? Large ones? Small ones?

How do you hang your tin signs?

How do you hang banners?

How do you hang cardboard signs?

I want to hang mine up, but want them not to be damaged.

Mike

Last edited by strnge; Fri Dec 11 2009 12:13 PM.

Mike
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CARDBOARDS I USUALLY ALUM FRAME AND PLEXIGLAS. I USE PICTURE HANGERS
METAL, PORC OR PLASTIC SIGNS IT DEPEND ON THE WALL. IF IT'S OUTSIDE ON THE SIDE OF MY GARAGE OR SHEDS...
BIG PORC: GALV HEX HEAD SCREWS 1/4 OR 5/16" NOT LONGER THAN 1.1.4" A GALV WASHER ON THE OUTSIDE.
SMALL PORC: USUALLY A 1 OR 1.1/4" DECK SCREW NOT TOO TIGHT EITHER OF COURSE. PUMP PLATES USUALLY A SMALL NAIL OR PUSH PIN.
METAL SIGNS (ALWAYS INSIDE) I USE DRYWALL SCREWS, INTO DRYWALL, OSB, PANELING, SHEATHING AND STUDS.
PLASTIC LARGE OR SMALL I USE WHATEVER FACTORY HOLES THERE ARE. IF NONE I USE THE SMALLEST DRILL BIT THAT I CAN AND MAKE AS FEW HOLES AS POSSIBLE. I WOULD USE DECK SCREWS IF OUTSIDE, DRYWALL SCREWS IF INSIDE.
CANVAS BANNERS I WOULD JUST HANG THEM WITH A 1X2" AFFIXED TO THE TOP AND BOTTOM CUT TO LENGTH.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Doc pretty well covered it. The only thing I would add is to use plastic washers with the drywall screws when hanging porcelain pump plates on drywall if the plates don't have gromments.AS an added benefit,the washers sometimes cover up small chips and make the plates more displayable;they look better than they are. But then some people like to see a few chips,"shows they are real".Your call.

Persolally,I screw my pump plates into the wall to keep visitors from taking them down to look at them and dropping them! I've had it happen.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
On small porcelain signs I use faucet washers (black) behind the screw head so if you get it a bit to tight it wont chip the porcelain, I once tightened one to much before the washers and you could hear the porcelain poping.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I SOMETIMES USE VINYL WASHERS ON SIGNS. BUT LIKE I SAID "NOT TOO TIGHT EITHER OF COURSE!" smile

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I do mine about the same as Doc. I have had very good results even outside smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
SOMETIMES ON MY OUTSIDE BUILDINGS I PUT A SPACER DISC OF WOOD BETWEEN THE LARGER SIGNS AND THE BUILDING WALL TO LET IT BREATHE BACK THERE. I MAKE THE DISCS WITH A HOLE CUTTING SAW AND ADD THE DIFFERENCE INTO THE LENGTH OF MY BOLTS.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Doc I also use a plastic washer or polyurethane one on both sides smile.

www.petrobarn.com
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Brad, By using two washers, do you mean placing a plastic washer on the back of the sign where the screw passes through? Thanks. John

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
John Yes. On my nicer signs I put one on each side of the hole. That way when the sign is tightened down the screw wont chip the porcelain on the front. The plastic washer on the back helps protect the screw hole from anything that could cause damage from the back. If the sign is going to be displayed outside the plastic washer on the front might not hold the sign on in higher winds. In this case you can use a stainless steel washer to put over the plastic one to give it more support. So you would have the wall-plastic washer-sign-plastic washer-steel washer then the screw. I use decking screws since they are made to stand up to the weather smile

www.petrobarn.com
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
All of my inside signs are put up with drywall screws and black faucet washers. My hanging signs are hung with eyelets or screw in hooks.

Bob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use either screws with bonded washers (steel washer with rubber washer bonded to one side) or Monkey Hooks.

Monkey Hooks are ideal for hanging on drywall, and only make a 1/16" hole. They can each hold 50 lbs, and are great for sign hanging. The only place you'll have trouble is if you have a sign with a large space between the hole and the top edge. To hang signs like this, you can trim off part of the end of the hook (where it turns back toward the wall) and it will work just fine.

Wes

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This summer I took all my signs down to repaint the walls and fix the old holes when I moved my signs around, I went to these pins to hang everything now. They leave just a very small hole and you dont have to find a stud even for the bigger signs, The pic is of a 30" porcelain sign with just two of these pins.

pins.JPG pins2.JPG

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved