Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Hey Globe guys,
I have the Benjamin and Henderson books and I cannot find where they explain the price range of "wholesale to retail" Other than buying out a whole collection from someone, how would you buy globes at wholesale? Arent we all paying "retail" when we buy from each other or at an auction or are they referring to "retail" as a antique store?
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I try to buy at whole sale and use retail for insurance purposes. But I'm cheap and try to find bargains. If I really wanted a globe I guess I would pay retail. B&H book is old but still a good guide. Richard

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good post Vermonter. I'll watch that one closely. I actually think there are three price levels: wholesale,retail and what I would call "collector", somewhere in between. It will be interesting to watch what the other guys think.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I will also be watching smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not sure how that works. I do know this... Scott can have a globe on his site for $500 and me have one for $400 and he will sell his first. LOL
Example i guess is Scott or Lonnie will buy say 10 globes at Dan Matthews auction and will turn around and sell all of them and make money. I guess it helps having contacts.

Scott and Lonnie are 2 great guys in the hobby to deal with. Had very good dealings with both and have bought a globe or 10 from them. LOL

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use the book as a "guide" for all your pricing needs BUT, face it, when it comes right down to it, a gas globe is worth exactly what you can talk the next guy into paying for it! Sometimes that figure is fairly high (retail) and other times, its less than you paid for it (wholesale) and it seems as tho you're giving it away!
The whole thing is balanced on the whims of the collecting public and there are really no definitive guides that base the values on a daily examination of the marketplace. Rarity is always a good guide because there are always people out there that will pay top dollar for something that no one else has and that speaks well for the hobby because the more of them that get broken thru handling and mailing;;; the more it increases the value of the remainder!
If you're not confused now, you never will be!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not sure but I would think one price would be what I would want to pay for it if I was getting it to resell. The other price would be what I would want to resell it for or the most I would pay for it if I was going to keep it. If I was getting it to resell, I would have to figure in how much profit I would want to make off of it. That price would be different for everyone so it may be what the authors would want to pay for it/ resell it for?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Wes,
Yes we all want to buy wholesale and sell retail, lol.
John

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,
I've been in the retail business for more years than I care to count. Here's my take on it.

WHOLESALE.I think Jarvis described it best. Buying in volume to get a volume price on items intended for resale at a profit.But remember, they now have an inventory carrying cost that must be factored into their selling price.

RETAIL. John I think you are right about a price you would pay at an antique store.But Wes makes a good point in that retail prices are going to vary depending on overhead costs (inventory carrying costs?)that different vendors must charge to make a profit. For instance,a fancy antique store means higher facility and merchandising costs means a higher retail price initially,but that price can come down when it's time to turn the inventory to reduce inventory carrying cost.

Just my thoughts. But then I've never been in the globe business!! lol.

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Doesnt seem to be any real consensus on this one. Maybe someone here that knows one of the authors can ask them?
John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think Old Iron pretty well described it in his explanation!
Scott describes it in his book as quote "The prices in this book are listed as a range of wholesale to retail. Ranges are left between the two for condition, negotation,etc."
The explanation that Old Iron gave for the differences in retail and wholesale would be covered in this gap!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
John,
It obviously gets complicated on the subject of pricing because too many variables are involved in establishing a retail price.Facility maintenance cost? advertising and merchandising coct?Capital strength of vendor? Need for immediate cash flow? There are so many vendors,auctions,ebay,antique stores,collectors and more that I really don't think anyone will ever reach a consus of opinion because every vendor is dealing with all those variables and more on a ever changing field of play on a daily basis.

The best rule of thumb I could give you regarding retail is that they will charge "what the market will bear" in an effort to maxamize profits. In essence, as the markets change,retail will drop which will force wholesale to adjust accordingly.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wholesale = buying for the purpose of making a profit later on.
Retail = buying to collect because you like it.
That is a over-simplified way of putting it, but it works for me. What I have found over the years of collecting is that all the pieces I have bought to collect and then later on find the piece no longer fits my needs or I don't want it anymore, 9 out of 10 times I make a little profit when I sell it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey wait a minute with those kind of odds that means you made money off me Roger. I think next time Roger you have to sell me a globe for less than what you paid for it. LOL

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I dont want to beat a dead horse here (ok, sometimes I do) but I dont think anyone really has the definitive answer. All the answers are good, and informative, but since we all use the book as a guide, shouldnt we all be working with the same definition of "wholesale" and "retail"? Basically everyone here is saying its a price "range" which is different from specific terms like wholesale and retail. If thats the case, maybe B&H should change the wording in their next edition.
For what its worth, I use it as a guide to a range I might have to pay, but have wondered what its really supposed to mean. Some people here have mentioned they know Scott Benjamin. I think it would be great if he could clarify this for us.
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved