Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#166234 Tue Dec 22 2009 06:01 PM
R
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
R
Pegasus stolen from side of horse arena in Shelby, Montana, was visible from US 2. Contact Toole County Sheriff with info.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Any photos so we can know what we're looking for?? Pegasus describes a HUGE variety of gas & oil collectibles and even when you know what you're looking for, the condition of the item is extremely important! We all hate thieves mad but without information, we're pretty well worthless to you! Also, there should be some contact info in your report because I'm sure that most of us don't know where Toole county is??? confused

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It will show up on PAWN STARS next week.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
R
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
R
Hi Kevin, I saw the info in an AP story in Antique Trader newspaper. Shelby is in NW Montana. Article said sign is 9' X 5'. No contact info was given.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Makes no difference where it was taken from, its where it went thats important! Like I said, if you can get more information, we can be on the watch but without it, we really don't know what we're looking for???

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I was going to put up a cookie cutter on my sign fence but backed off for that exact reason. I worry enough with what's out there now !! I think it's really sad that some great displays simply are not available for public viewing because of the risk of theft and/or vandalism. It stopped me.

I wish them well.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
The best description of it will help. People like this p*ss me off!!!!!!!! mad

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These sort of things turn up if the word get around enough to the circle of collectors. And they know what to look for.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
As times get harder economically you are going to see more and more thefts occuring. I won't be display anything outside.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Does anyone have a picture of the sign? We need to see the pattern of chips and blemishes to identify the sign if it shows up on the market. Otherwise, it's like reporting that a blue Taurus was stolen without providing the VIN or license plate number.

Wes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shelby is about 90 miles north of Great Falls and about 30 miles south of the Canadian border on I-15. It is on the crossroads of I-15 and Highway 2. I heard about this a couple of weeks ago when I was in Great Falls. I will contact the newspaper to see if they idid a story and see if we can get a picture or contact information.

Alex

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just spoke with the owners. They are going to try to get me a picture of it and I will post it. They did mention that it had some bolt holes drilled into it at the top (not original) that should make it distinctive. The sign was seen in the back of a truck being driven out of town. They think it may still be in Montana.
They have notified the police of the town where it might be and have been told they don't have enough proabable cause for a search warrant. They had a description of the truck as well. Wil post a picrure when available.

Alex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tell the owners to give you the details of the truck... that could help.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #167280 Tue Dec 29 2009 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check HORSE farms.. wink...seriously.
There is a horse boarder here that wanted one so he had one made and uses it as a sign at the street.
I am surprised it has not been stolen even though it is not authentic.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #167281 Tue Dec 29 2009 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
it would be so...great to see these guys caught,especially if this kind of posting helps bring em to justice.go get em !!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It will have to be other collectors to solve this, Sounds like the cops were told where to look, But as usual they can't be bothered unless the thieves bring it to the Police Station and turn themselves in. If somebody lives in the area tell the victims to post fliers around, Bad guys seem to like to brag about stealing things and can't keep their mouths shut.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #167294 Tue Dec 29 2009 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C.S.I. OLDGAS.....
With Dick Bennett as Detective Bowser...
Jack Sim as Detective Wayne....
and Travis Towle.... as Debbie grin

Tonights Episode...
"The Pilfered Pegasus"
....... VII ........

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #167307 Tue Dec 29 2009 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: jkyocom
C.S.I. OLDGAS.....
With Dick Bennett as Detective Bowser...
Jack Sim as Detective Wayne....
and Travis Towle.... as Debbie grin

Tonights Episode...
"The Pilfered Pegasus"
....... VII ........

That was Funny, gave me a good laugh

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #167320 Tue Dec 29 2009 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LMAO!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Joe,

Thanks for the complement.

Travis,

Show us your disguise.

Seriously, I think this is a good thing you are doing on this site.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Dec 29 2009 10:46 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
That sign was the 1st thing you saw when you were getting into town, pretty cool in todays world. Been there forever it seems, im surprised it lasted that long. There was a collector that had an auction this summmer up near there and everyone within 1000 miles showed up for it. Prices on everything were 2 to 10 times what they normally would go for, so im thinking someone figures they can retitre off this one. Had it been in the sale they could have! Probably be at portland antique show this spring? I dont have a pic but Alex is working on it, looks like. Full size cookie cutter.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hopefully some tweaker didn't steal it just to cut it up and sell it for scrap ! mad

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I hope tweakers didnt get ahold of it. This is a dog that the Tweakers in North Idaho got ahold of. I did a pet rescue and gave a friend the back half. Of course I had to donate $35.00 to rescue this poor thing. What would they do to a flying horse?

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M

Last edited by Mac; Wed Dec 30 2009 12:55 PM.
Mac #167387 Wed Dec 30 2009 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
thanks mac.probably more than 8 or 9! wink

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, that one will probably be hard to trace since there were no distinguishing features such as some old damage somewhere. confused Lets all keep a watchful eye out and see if a suspicous one turns up! cool We don't want this kind of thing to continue!!! mad

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The article that Mac has is the same one I was going to post including the picture. The only distinguishing thing about it is the bracket that held it caused them to drill a hole by the leg. If you look closely you can see it. As I understand it it is very nice.

Les, keep an eye out as it allegedly in the Flathead area. That would be the Whitefish, Columbia Falls Kaslipell area for those of you not familiar.

To our friends on the West Coast, keep an eye out for it at swap meets, especially those that may have a mixture of things not necessarily oil and gas.

Hard to believe they had a description of the truck with it leaving town and that is not enough to get a search warrant. They are going through the auction logs (The father-in-law passed away and there wa an auction there last summer) Talking with the owners they believe the thief/thieves came in to the place during broad daylight.(Pretty gutsy) They figured they knew the place was deserted. The owner told me they had to use a front end loader to hoist it up in the air when they mounted it there.

Alex
Alex #167391 Wed Dec 30 2009 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I ever see one that is absolutely perfect with no flaws, I'll be sure to contact the owner. Amazing it could be in such good condition after hanging on a barn for so many decades. It appears that the owner is too proud of the sign to provide details about condition issues that could lead to its recovery.

Wes

Last edited by thermactor; Wed Dec 30 2009 02:33 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They aren't too proud. They hung it up on the east side of the barn and only had sunlight on it a few hours each day. It is in very n ice condition. It does have a bolt hole near the toop leg where they attached a different style bracket to hang it on the barn. Ther isn't a whole lot more to say about the condition. Needless to say if youcome a cross a 9 condition Pegasus with a bolt hole in it....it may be stolen.

Alex
Alex #167421 Wed Dec 30 2009 05:45 PM
R
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
R
Thanks guys for the follow up. I hope the thieves end up looking like hillsides dog.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After reading the article i had to chuckle, they say it weighed several hundred pounds & at least 200...i don't think it would break a 120......only 8 or 9 like this in the USA, in this condition....i know of at least that many in as good condition without the bolt hole & i'll bet Dan Matthews know of even more....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
These folks are not experts in oil and gas. I am sure that if they had a dollar for every person that asked if it was for sale they could probably retire. They have been told by oil and gas collectors like us that it is special and in this condition it is rare. Bottom line is they have been robbed of an important family heirloom. They turned down several thousand dollar offers over the years and it represents the work their father did for many years and it was an icon of the town. So if the article isn't totally accurate who cares?

And it did weigh a great deal as they built a steel frame to hold it. we know what the base of old gas pumps weigh...imagine about four of those put together and then mounted on a large pegasus sign.

Alex
Alex #167454 Wed Dec 30 2009 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry i'm not trying to critisize the article but if the article isn't totally accurate who cares ???..........well if they want this horse back i would say the accuarcey of the information they give out should be somewhat accurate & now we know that it was mounted to a steel frame & that weighs about the same as 4 gas pump bases......

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MY BODY (W/O THE TAIL AND LEGS: FRONT AND BACK WEIGHED 75LBS. I HAD IT HANGING ON MY LIVING ROOM WALL WITH ONE BOLT!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved