Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nice shoeboxes smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Really like those shoebox globes, Lonnie....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
mam i`m excited for those shoebox`s!!!! txs lonnie for sharing,,alan

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Everyone;

I hope that Santa (or your wife or kids!) were good to you for Christmas!

I want to post a few more photos of unusual shaped globes before we move on to our next feature. There are 4 types of oval shaped globes. There are the 1-piece like the Interstate etched globe in the picture. Take note how fat and squatty it is compared to the others. There are very few companies that used oval 1-piece globes.

Next there is the 3-piece glass oval. These lenses are notched and are about an inch wider than the capco oval lenses so if you find a pair of oval lenses with notches you will need to find a glass body to put them on. These globes are also somewhat uncommon. There are less than 20 different oval 3-piece glass globes known.

Next is the oval capco body globe. There are at least 60 different kinds oval capco globes known and there are likely many more.

There are also several different 1-piece plastic ovals globes. It is to cold and the snow is to deep here in Michigan to go out to my building to take a picture. Maybe tommorow!

If you have any globes to share please take a few minutes and do so. Thanks!

Lonnie

IMG_6513.JPG IMG_6514.JPG IMG_6512.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
World famous Mobil Collector and all round good guy Richard Weir (a.k.a. Pegusas) emailed me wondering if the Pugh Clipper globe was associated in any way with the Clipper globe with the airplane. While the font and the speedlines on the 2 globes are similar I do not believe they were related in anyway. If you look at the close up photos you can see there is some difference in the letters and speedlines.

Pugh was a Racine, Wisconsin marketer that is still in business today with marina and shipyard in Racine. The Clipper with the airplane was a West Coast marketer that later became part of Mobil.

IMG_6499.JPG IMG_6503.JPG IMG_6504.JPG IMG_6507.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...this has been a great thread (and if I had any non-standard globes I would post them)...but it is incomplete (to say the least) without pics of the Dixie 'keyhole' globes... confused

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Every night I learn something. Thanks very neat

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more oval body globes. These are 1-piece plastic. If you look at the side view of the North Star globes you will see two variations. The one on the left as well as the Elreco and Supreme are 2 separate molded halves that are glued togather. The North Star on the right is a plastic formed body that has a face glued to each side.

If you study the Elerco globe photo you will see that the Supreme was once an Elreco globe. Someone sanded the letters off and painted Supreme on the globe. Seems like a lotta work to change the brand of gas you sell.

I will post a few more photos over the next couple of days. Yes Mark (Gulfiend) I will get to some Dixie photos!

This has been a great thread, I particularly like the Foreign globes. There are countless Foreign globes and a large number of them are unusual shaped. If any one has any more globes to post please take a few minutes and do so. Thanks!

Lonnie

IMG_6523.JPG IMG_6522.JPG IMG_6524.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I should have put this photo with the Pugh globes Sunday night. There are not a lot of globes of any kind that have station attendents on them. I have always liked the Wareco globes. Lots of detail in the attendent.

The Ware family started out in Jacksonville, Illinois and had around a 100 stations. They sold out a few years back, I don't recall to whom. Maybe someone can help out with those details. I remember the first years of the Missouri Show we would always stop at the Wareco station in Jacksonville. They were still using the station attendent logo and I have quite a number of different flat plastic quarts, coffee cups, matchbooks, etc. that I picked up in the late 90s. Unfortunantly that time is gone.

I'll post more stuff tomorrow!

Lonnie

IMG_6501.JPG IMG_6502.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Glad globe of the month is back. Thanks Lonnie and Aaron!!!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
MILEAGE GLOBE

MVC-010S.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those Wareco Globes are Killer!!!! I Need one!! What kind of Moola do those bring???

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well over a grand or two smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
someday i hope to find a set of lenses for my glass oval!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Neat Mileage globe! You seldom see these arrow shaped 1-piece plastic globes. I have seen that same body style with DS faces and Western faces. Thanks for posting!

I have not seen a Wareco oval globe sell in the past couple of years. The last one that I know of selling brought $2750. If one came up for sale in todays market it would probably bring $2000-2250. For a company with a 100 stations there are very few of these globes in collections today.

Lonnie

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved