Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
OP Offline
V
Hello everyone,
In the 1920s my great grandfather had a small store here in rural Georgia. When I was growing up in the early 70's we used to play on this old pump which was discarded in the woods behind the store. When I married 23 years ago my great uncle told me I could have it to put in my yard if I wanted it, so its been with us every since. I have finally found some time to pay some attention to it and I am very curious about its history, how it worked, its value, original colors, globes, etc...(Im thinking about restoring it). It has no rust holes but it's missing two things, the globe is gone and the 10 gal. glass container is broken. Other than that I think its all there. Guarantee Liquid Measure Rocheester PA. is stamped on a 10" x 10" metal cover on the bottom. It has two brass tags on it. On is a U.L. tag and the other is a patent tag. The patent tag says, Fry Visible Pump Model #117 Pump #102432 Mfg by Guarantee Liquid Measure Co. It has eleven patents between (11-3-16) and (9-25-23). Im not a frequent computer user so forgive me if I don't respond right away. I only get on this thing a couple times a month. Thanks, VestaPass

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Last Patent date means your pump was made sometime after that date.
117 is a 10 gallon & sorry to say an original cylinder will be expensive [$700-1,000], repo's are available for much less. Most vendors have most of the repo parts you'll need.
BEFORE dismantling take LOTS of pictures & burn to a CD for later use in re-assembling. Don't rely on memory.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome to the Oldgas site. In my opinion, the Fry 117 visible gaspump is one of the nicest gravity feeds out there. It was called the "Mae West" due to the shape of its' body and Mae's obvious assets. During the era of these pumps, nearly all came from the factories painted red. Possibly repainted after installation but like you mentioned, used at a country store. Probably just stayed red. They operated with a pump handle which manually drew gasoline up into the glass cylinder. It was called a visible because you could see the gas you were getting. There was a gate valve at the discharge port to drain the gas into a vehichle using gravity. Nice pump and neat family history. Good luck. Paul

Last edited by gasmansgp; Sat Dec 19 2009 02:19 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
For pictures of your pump, check out my website: www.petrocollect.com

Or you can directly to the Guarantee literature at: http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/guarantee%20pumps.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Welcome to Old Gas smile If there are any questions that you have this is the place to ask them smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Welcome Vestapass. I live very close to the location of the original pump factory. Most people aren't aware of why the Guarantee Liquid Measure Co. pump of Rochester, Pa. is also called the Fry pump. The Fry Glass Co. of Monaca, Pa. (very close by) made the glass cylinders as well as famous Fry dishes & glassware. It was one of the most popular pumps in the U.S. & Canada. Many still exist & actually are still in use by some farmers in rural areas. I have a restored one in my house that came from a neighbor farmer when he upgraded to an electric pump. I wish someone could verify how many of the "Fry" model 17's & 117's were made. Thousands, I'm sure! Have fun with it!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can tell you that WE are in FRY COUNTRY!!!!
I have found more FRY pumps in GA & AL than any other type of VISIBLE pump.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Welcome to Oldgas. I agree with Paul, I think the Fry 117 is one of the nicest looking visible pumps there are.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Until ya find a Roman, Phil ! LOL

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
When I get the Roman, it will be the prettiest, send one of yours Dick. You need my address.

Thanks, Phil
V
OP Offline
V
I told you guys it would be a while but I made it back, Thanks to everyone for your advice and support. This is really a great site with some great folks! God bless you all and Happy New Year! Thanks again! VestaPass

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved