Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I would like to add that Wareco also had a #1 Fuel oval shaped globe with the station attendent. It looks just like the globes pictured except that where the Regular or Ethyl words are it says #1 Fuel. If anyone knows where one of these are please let me know, it is probably worth a fair amount more than $2750.

Lonnie

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I don't think I ever saw a Wareco globe in use. I wonder if anyone has a Consolidated oval? Those were also very common in the midwest.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have a photo of a Consolidated oval and a few others that I will post later tonight. In the meantime here is an unusual shaped globe that many collectors have probably not seen.

Republic was a Pittsburg, PA. Marketer and sold gas throughout the southeast. They use this 3-sided cast 1-piece globe in the 20s. A few of these turned up close to 20 years ago under an old loading dock I believe in Virginia somewhere. They all had some condition issues. This one barely stands up but displays well. With the damage, the value is minimal but still makes for a unique piece.

Maybe I should be more condition driven like some collectors. But as a collector if I find a rare or unique globe with damage that is priced cheap and displays well I feel no shame putting it on my shelf until a better one comes along. Many times with a rare globe you may never have a chance to buy one you can afford.

Just my 2 cents. My advice to any collector is to buy what you like and can afford!

IMG_6539.JPG IMG_6536.JPG IMG_6535.JPG IMG_6537.JPG

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie, in the last pic what happened in the back ground? I see a gill body, lens, rings, screw base and a one piece laying there. LOL Don't step on those!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Just send that Gill my way I need a couple of those smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi John;

I got a couple of really dirty gill body globes in (looks like they had been found buried in the mud somewhere) and I cleaned them up but that is as far as they got!

Lonnie

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few photos of oval 3-piece glass body globes. If anyone has photos of ANY unusual shaped globes, please take a few minutes to share them with the rest of the Oldgas community. Thanks!

Lonnie

IMG_6521.JPG IMG_6510.JPG IMG_6508.JPG

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here are a few more oval 3-piece glass body globes.

IMG_6515.JPG IMG_6509.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those ovals are really cool. Never seen alot of those. Thanks for sharing.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I had forgotten about the existence of the Erickson globes. There was a station across from the sporting goods store my Dad frequented. I have a vague memory of sneaking across the street to look at them. I was about 5 or 6 at the time. Next time we went up north, they were gone. I felt vaguely guilty about it for ages, and thought it was because I'd gone to look at them.

W
W
Those Tydol shoebox globes are outstanding!

I'm working on a Tydol themed pump and really wish I could source one of those Tydol Flying A's with the black/orange striping. Does anyone have the dimensions on those shoebox globes?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These are not mine although I wish they were!

Barry
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Wagz;

I have had several requests for dimensions on the shoebox globes. I am busy the next few days but I will start a new thread this weekend and will take some photos of a shoebox globes from all angles and its dimmensions.

Lonnie

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I like all of the unusual shaped globes but favorite ones are the Dixie "keyhole" shaped globes. It has been nearly 25 years ago that I saw my first large collection of globes and the guy had 3 of the Dixie keyhole shaped globes. I thought they were the neatest things I had ever seen.

Well, 25 years of searching, trading, begging, etc. I managed to put this group togather. Dixie Distributers was a Michigan Marketing organization that at its peak had jobbers in 17 states and they had over 1700 gas station selling Dixie gas. Their slogan was "Dixie Gas the Power to Pass". I do not know why they had the idea of using keyhole shaped globes. The cost per unit had to be considerably more that the cost of a metal body globe and lenses. The only reason I can think is that they wanted something unique to draw attention to their pumps.

These globes were used for a short period of time in the late 1920s and must have been used in a relatively small area because there are very few of them that have survived in collecions today.

Most everyone reading this is a collector. Many of you are quite passionate about collecting so you will understand why there are two Power to Pass globes in the last photo. If you look closely the one on the right has black letters and the one on the left has blue letters!

This pretty much wraps up this post for me. If you have anything to add to please do so and we plan on starting a new post next week.

I would like to wish everone a safe and prosperous New Year!

Lonnie

IMG_6529.JPG IMG_6528.JPG IMG_6527.JPG IMG_6526.JPG

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lonnie--Thanks so very much for hosting this thread! Theres a lot of us out here that don't have the opportunity to see some of these great globes that you see! Posting them on this web site to share with everyone is time consuming and I want to be the first to thank you for your efforts! My knowledge of globes is greatly increased because of this thread and I think that knowledge is extremely important in pursuing this hobby! Again, thank you for your efforts!!--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved