Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#169097 - Fri Jan 08 2010 11:10 AM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: gasoildude]
carzncoke Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: new church,va USA
I respect all of the answers to this topic as all of you are much more knowledgable than i am but did anyone actually just buy a quart of kerosene ?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#169099 - Fri Jan 08 2010 11:21 AM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: carzncoke]
jkyocom Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: GA
you did in the depression!!!!
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

#169100 - Fri Jan 08 2010 11:28 AM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: jkyocom]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Even into the 50's a lot were still being used.
Most of this type were 1gal cylinders w/ a 10gal dial/counter.

#169108 - Fri Jan 08 2010 12:11 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Dick Bennett]
Bob Richards Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Kerosene stoves and heaters were used like db said into the mid 50s, even later in areas where electricity and natural gas lines hadn't been run. My family owned a "cottage" at the base of Mt. St. Helens our stove was kerosene. Used white gas in a pinch, but kerosene much, much safer.

#169116 - Fri Jan 08 2010 01:08 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Bob Richards]
jkyocom Offline
Veteran Member

WWII brought us out of the depression.
R.E.A didn't start untill after WWII.
Untill then, if you didn't live in town, or near a line, you didn't have power or gas lights.
Although there were liquid storage battery power systems for houses....
Kerosene lamps is what most used for illumination.
1 qt. will keep a few lamps burning for a while.
During the depression 1 qt may have been all you could afford to buy at the time.
I would imagine the R.E.A. took a while, the mid fifties would have only been 10(+ -) yrs into the project.
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

#169117 - Fri Jan 08 2010 01:14 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: jkyocom]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Never been to Vt., but would bet there are a lot of cabins that still use Kerosene heaters & stoves [maybe as a backup to propane].

#169120 - Fri Jan 08 2010 01:22 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Dick Bennett]
jkyocom Offline
Veteran Member

dust bowl + depression = may not be able to afford 1 qt. eek eek
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

#169131 - Fri Jan 08 2010 03:32 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: jkyocom]
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
These pump we are discussing were from 1905-1915, way before the depression. Up until around 1912 kerosene out sold gasoline, and kerosene main use was for lighting. G&B before they ever made a gas pump manufactured lamps that used gasoline, and at the time Standard Oil bought into G&B because of their large use of gasoline.
Take a look at page 307 of my Gas Pump Identification book, middle picture on bottom. Typical kerosene pump and typical can to carry the kerosene in back home. Many a kid during this time was sent up to the General Store with a can to get a qt. or gallon of kerosene. Customers supplied their own cans.

Jack Sim

#169132 - Fri Jan 08 2010 03:40 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Jack Sim]
chadrock00 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Warsaw, Illinois
I have found several Lubsters that had kerosene in them.

#169138 - Fri Jan 08 2010 05:05 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: chadrock00]
jkyocom Offline
Veteran Member

I saw an old ad in a magazine where it showed a little girl returning flour and telling the store owner that her mother said it smelled of kerosene.
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

#169140 - Fri Jan 08 2010 05:13 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: jkyocom]
Jack Sim Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
chadrock00

That's why they should NOT be called "Lubsters."

Using this term only leads to confusion. Not one company ever called these lubsters, this is a term made up by some collector and picked up by just about everyone. They are dispensers, oil, kerosene, lindseed oil, molassas, etc.

Jack Sim

Edited by Jack Sim (Fri Jan 08 2010 05:16 PM)

#169142 - Fri Jan 08 2010 05:38 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Jack Sim]
Vermonter Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: VT
I have to pay more attention next time but I recall that she did not turn the handle round and round. She cranked it and I believe the stops you can see on the "ratcheted" part of the pump stops it at a set measurement...I think a quart. I wonder how the State "Weights and Measure" guys certify that.
John

#169148 - Fri Jan 08 2010 06:44 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: zooman]
Old Iron Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: New Mexico
I think the "bulk dispensers",that's what I call mine,were inspected by the state for accuracy and then sealed by the inspector with a wire running through a hole in the stop and on through the set screw that would have to be loosened to move the stop in order to change it's position.That wire was sealed with a state lead stamped seal.So,aslong as that seal wire was intact,the customer was assured that the stop had not been tampered with.AT LEAST IN THEORY.

At least thats how all of my restored ones seem to have worked.

#169149 - Fri Jan 08 2010 06:54 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Old Iron]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

#169174 - Fri Jan 08 2010 10:46 PM Re: Question about this thing? [Re: Dick Bennett]
quincy oil&gas Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: quincy ma.
DB, great pic and info,

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved