Next Thread
Print Thread
#167329 Tue Dec 29 2009 11:06 PM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Back during the summer, late at night (I have insomnia) I decided to start looking for gas pump company patents. Some nights I downloaded so many that Google cut me off (they can do that). I probably have over 500 patents downloaded.

The first thing I noticed is that very few companies bothered to patent their pumps, even companies like Tokheim and Wayne didn't bother much until the 60s and 70s. Some companies didn't bother at all.

If any of you are looking for a patent, email me, it only takes me a few minutes to look it up, and I will let you know where to find it.

One more thing, other than the date, the patents really won't tell you much as the companies would make changes even before the patent was issued.

Remember, it is not the date the date that the patent was issued (sometimes it took 5-6 even more years to be issued), it is the date the patent was applied for. Then subtract the time it took for the patent application to be put together, then subtract the time it took for the company to put together the item to be patented. Many times companies went into production of an item long before they even applied for a patent. They didn't care, who was going to question them.

About the only company that was able to receive a patent and prevent many companies from copying it, was Veeder-Root. After the mid-30s how many companies patented anything like the computer that V/R did? Interesting!

Let me know, if you want to see a patent for anything gas pump or air meter related.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #167337 Wed Dec 30 2009 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a pat in there for G&B from the 40's that is almost a copy of a veeder root and they issued a pat.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #167727 Fri Jan 01 2010 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #167728 Fri Jan 01 2010 02:37 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Almost is the key word. As I understand it, you can patent something that is "almost" a copy of the original if it is an improvement on the original. Think mouse trap.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Vermonter #167735 Fri Jan 01 2010 04:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have a couple of things that I invented and was advised against a patent. I was told to sell the heck out of them till someone comes up with something ALMOST like it then move on to something else. The ALMOST made it to where it wasnt worth patenting.
Rick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved