Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16841 Thu Mar 06 2003 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have not bought a crown yet, but have found some real cool milk glass crowns that have the screw on base. Very cool - nice repo crowns...

I have read in the books that these can be painted - but they never really tell you how. I would think that masking these off and then spraying them would be a very hard process. One guy said to use vasoline (how ever you spell that word) and coat the globe everywhere you do not want the paint - then spray it... Another said to spay it and use a razor to trim it up - hell I shake to much for that - I do not want the globe BLOOD red!

Has anyone done this? Or do you know how it was done originally - as a business owner - I know for a fact that the company would not have wanted to have someone spend a ton of time painting a globe... How did they do that?

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#16842 Thu Mar 06 2003 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis,
They originally used a stick on stencil.

Don't use vaseline. There's no way you could do that without getting some on the areas that will be painted.

Use masking tape. It takes 6 1/2 hours to mask a crown. 8 hours for a raised letter crown. You MUST have the globe lit up from the inside when you paint it so that you can see that you're getting the paint on evenly.

If you time is worth anything, you're probably money ahead to buy a nice original, or a painted repro if its going outside. Originals (non-lettered) with decent paint can still be found under $400. Lettered repros are $250. Does anyone know if those raised letter Red Crown repros are dated?
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#16843 Thu Mar 06 2003 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I looked at a couple of RED CROWN's [raised letter]with 7" base, last year on my way to Iowa Gas. There is Nothing on it. The milk glass seemed to be more translucent. The originals are WHITE milk glass.
Dick

#16844 Thu Mar 06 2003 07:33 PM
+
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
+
I have had two Repro Crown globe painted, they came out great, the man that did it for me is Dick Mills, His e-male is dikmilz@cs.com he does excelent work and he dosen't charge an arm and a leg,He's a great guy and he would be more than happy to answer all your questions, I know he paints the entire globe in a rubber mask, and then cuts out the parts he wants painted with a xacto knife, drop him a line.

Chris Holt
#16845 Sat Mar 08 2003 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is what he said: And I think he is the MAN - some of the pics he sent me are very cool....

When I paint the "CROWNS">> I (CLEAN GOOD WITH WINDEX) Then on put 3 coats of a rubber masking--then cut the design out with a xacto knife and peel the off the part to be painted. I put it on a box with a lite bulb on top so you can see where to paint and not get to thick in spots I use Sign painters "ONE SHOT" paint in my spray gun --You CANNOT paint these with a BRUSH if you ever want to light it up---EVERY BRUSH STROKE will show up BAD !!A spray can of KRYLON paint will wok OK---In order to keep the paint from peeling off later --Spray lightly with BIN--Available at any paint store( it is the stuff used on water stained celings--------I usualy get $125,00 to paint a "Crown"$250 complete +S/H_most people after they try paintig a crown wish they had never tried---I have painted 90--100 of them>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DICK The one with "RED CROWN" Around the bottom is$330.00+S/H

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved