Next Thread
Print Thread
#168713 Wed Jan 06 2010 04:10 PM
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks to those who turned me on to this search engine for searching Craigslist. Its a good tool, but can someone tell me how to refine my searches? If I search "gas globes" for example, I get listing for cars and trucks mixed in. Ive tried several different queries, but seem to always get lots of unrelated stuff.
I do use the general "for sale" category instead of "collectables" because ive found that some people who sell petroliana dont necessarily put it in "collectables" Those are the buys we all want to find. Think thats the problem?
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this may help.........first type the name "gas pump" in the search title field & also the "positive keyword field" then check the box "search titles only"...then click search

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was hoping someone would bring this up again. When I bring up Craigslist, the only box available is the search title box??? What am I doing wrong??

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO SEARCH FOR SPECIFIC ITEMS OTHER THAN JUST A CERTAIN AREA WITHIN A STATE. I WANT TO SEARCH THE ENTIRE STATE, NOT JUST SECTIONS OF IT AT ONE TIME. IT WOULD BE NICE TO BE ABLE TO DO AN OVERALL SEARCH OF SAY THE ENTIRE NORTHEAST SECTION OF THE LOWER 48.

I THINK THERE WAS A WEBSITE POSTED HERE NOT TOO LONG AGO THAT ACTED AS A SEARCH ENGINE FOR C/L IN A MORE LARGER AREA SORTA WAY. UNFORT THAT THREAD HAS FALLEN AND I CAN'T FIND IT AGAIN.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doc...... With search tempest you can search within a radius of your zip code 50-100-200-250-500 miles ect. It will search "gaspump" within a specific category and list all cities or territories within radius.

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally...I like craiglook better to search craigslist.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
The goal of CL is to keep everything local and in person.

So there is no national search function on it. If there is a website that attempts to do a nationwide search, CL will shut them down. That's only when they attempt to search in a certain way-some technical stuff I dont understand.

But Searchtempest basically replicates what a user would do, and does it in a way without CL having a problem with it.
I think there are several CL search engines out there.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
To search cragslist I go to google and type in Craigslist and whatever I am looking for such as oil can, road map, gas pump etc. It works pretty well except you have to go through more then the first couple of pages as they are burried deep into the search. John

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
You can also use this site.... http://www.allofcraigs.com/

type in what you're looking for...gas pump, gas sign, whatever...then you'll get a page that opens and you can search by state.

Mac

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved