Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169337 Sat Jan 09 2010 07:45 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast

I was looking at a 1933 Gulf worlds fair map and saw this;

Has anyone ever seen one of these Gulf Lighthouses?

Barry
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
No. But I'd like to see one...at my place, that is....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Do a search for "Gulf Lighthouse Gas station" and you will see some.
There are postcards that show up on ebay of a couple of the stations. I think they were only in Florida ?

Dave

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Interesting. I tried to find a pic or reference to the exhibit at the 1933 world's fair, but couldnt find anything. A large lagoon was one of the features at the fair and am wondering if they didnt have a lighthouse on it.
Makes me wonder, what ever happened to World's Fairs? They were pretty cool. Google the 1933 World's Fair and you will see lots of auto and oil companies had exhibits.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vermonter, after the Worlds fair in Tennessee debacle , most governments decided that since no one ever proffited from a Worlds fair exibition , that it was too prohibitive to do any more . To give you an example , the African government decided to donate the : Belgan - Congo Building to Virginia Union University after the 1939 worlds fair here in Richmond Virginia . It serves as the student library today . Quite remarkable as I'm a archecture fan anyway. For anyone comming to Richmond , you can easily see it off Lombardy street near I-95 North bound . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
eshaver #169400 Sun Jan 10 2010 08:25 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ed--that's really interesting about the building donation, as I'm also a big architecture fan, too.
It would be nice to know what happened. Maybe gone in the WWII scrap drives?
I believe I have seen a Gulf lighthouse on Real Photo postcards, most of which are beyond my budget. They have to have 2 neat things to get purchased, like a gas station and a milk truck. I also think that I may have seen one about 30 years ago at a Smith Oil station in Darien, WI that had a lot of old Gulf items in its front lot.
World's Fair maps are great things--most of the oil companies had them, although Texaco's 1934 is easy to miss since it's round. I'm trying to complete my collection for both the Chicago Century of Progress and the 1939-40 NY World's Fair. It's fairly easy to find maps for the 1964 NY World's Fair--I even have one for Seagrams. Both Phillips and Cities Service issues are pretty common.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Ed, thats what I kinda figured. What happened in Tenessee, lost their shirts? I dont know why countries go after the Olympics for the same reason. Seems like they usually lose money. Its a shame, they were quite the event.

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The closest I have seen is this Gulf station built in Miami during the mid 30's. A copy of a postcard showing the station and hotel.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved