Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#170595 Mon Jan 18 2010 06:09 AM
jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
With all the fuss about reproductions ,,,,
Has anyone ever came up with a symbol that could be incorprated into artwork that is unintrusive to a design to let the buyer know it is a reproduction????
Do you think someone should come up with something like this?......The HONEST ones at least.???
An R in a circle won't work....
what about an R in a triangle
What do you guys think ???....
..the ones who don't detest repro's...
?????? JOE ??????

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
jkyocom #170596 Mon Jan 18 2010 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The problems associated with repops have little to do with those who mark their products, what you mark them with is of little consequence.

The dishonest con artists that are putting a hurt on the hobby won't mark them anyway, regardless of what symbol you come up with, IMO.

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Getting shot down before it leaves the ground?

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #170601 Mon Jan 18 2010 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a good idea, Joe, but I do have to agree with Ohio... I don't think the people that I'm really worried about (the ones that make unmarked fakes now) would start marking things for any reason. They make too much money producing fakes.

It would be a way to clean up legitimate, marked repros, though. Might look nicer than a date. But, keep in mind, a tiny symbol is easier to remove with a strategically placed chip than a long phrase like "SEPTEMBER 1990."

Wes

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Joe its a great idea that the honest ones would not mind doing at all. But I also have to agree with Ohio on what he said also. What about having the word REPRODUCTION printed on the back of the sign in big letters. But I know also that it can be removed. No matter what we/they do the ones that are doing this for profit will always find a way around it or not do it at all.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think it's a great idea. It could be looked at as a start that could be some day turned into a law. If there is a law then more people would be apt to mark their repo's rather than face the law. Someone asked what this group could be doing a few months ago. It seems like trying to turn this into a law would be a real positive step forward. I belong to a Ornamental iron group ( NOMMA) that is always involved with creating building codes OR removing them. MY 2 cents
Rick Nelson

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great Idea, it won't fly. USA Gov. cannot stop Forgery of money.
How will it be enforced in Argentina, China etc. where some Repo's are made ?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
People selling in the U.S. could be scared off. If anything it is a way to help make people aware of the problem. Speeding tickets kind of work.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think DB hit it. It's all about enforcement.

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #170637 Mon Jan 18 2010 10:03 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Well, it would be one doing the right thing! Lead by example!
Joe, I think it's a good idea. tt

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
gotta start somewhere

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good idea, but won't work. How many years for such a "law" to be enacted by congress, 10,20 never? Unmarked signs,globes,.. ect. not a real high priority to the majority of the people in this country. We can't get China to stop trying to kill our children through the products they are sending us daily, for some reason I can't imagine the country going on a "crusade" to help us. We are one of the smallest "minorities" in this country, we collect Petroliana. We have no large Lobbying firms working for us, chewing on the ear of congress or the President. Hell, we don't even agree here on what should be done. "Buyer Beware" has been and will be the first line of defense against fakes. It doesn't work all the time, maybe even half the time. There are laws against speeding, but at times almost all of us speed. There are laws against running through red lights, but someone almost always sees someone running one. There are laws against people and/or companies from swindling money from others, but there are always people/companies like Madoff and ENRON in the news taking advantage of those who thought they were safe because "there's a Law".

Using this forum, that Jim has provided, can help root out some of the fakes. But, it can only help in a very, very, very small percentage of the time. Again, it comes down to "Caveat Emptor" or more commonly known as "Let the buyer beware", just as it has been for the last 193 years.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With ebay's NO Negative Feedback system/removal, there is no way to check on seller RELIABILITY as far as Stated Return Policy or Fake/Repo items.
Credit Cards used for PayPal is your best insurance for getting money returned for any item in question.

Bill Gates can't stop the scams using the Microsoft name!
The U.S. Gov. doesn't have the money to help OUR poor/homeless, but is always the 1st responder for Humanitarian Relief efforts !

jkyocom Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am in no way refering to a mandated system.
I am referring to an adopted system for legitimate reproductions.
GET CRIMINALS OFF YOUR MIND!!!!!
This does not pertain to them.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #170660 Mon Jan 18 2010 01:24 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It isnt small!!! We build and sell gates and are competing against gates brought in from other countries.It would be nice for the customers to know more about the product they are buying.Gas related repo's is a very small part of the overall reproduction problem. I think better marking of products would be accepted very well by Americans. It would also make some politician look good by promoting the idea. my 2 cents or less

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved